Who makes the best truck (diesel) for pulling

Share vehicle info.
Lance

Who makes the best truck (diesel) for pulling

Post by Lance »

The wife and I are in the market for a new truck, she has horses and I have a boat. So I need your advice, who makes the best truck (diesel) for pulling.

Dodge

Chevy

Ford

Please post why you like your choice
Friendship is like peeing in your pants, everyone can see it, but only you can feel the true warmth.
Hollywood

Re: Who makes the best truck (diesel) for pulling

Post by Hollywood »

for pulling your triton lance?

I would say the Toyoto Land Cruiser with a Diesel! They make them and there one bad *** ride!!!
Lance

Post by Lance »

Kevin, you cant get that here in America, I think its only in Japan
Friendship is like peeing in your pants, everyone can see it, but only you can feel the true warmth.
Lance

Post by Lance »

The wife wants a Dodge
Hollywood

Post by Hollywood »

special order maybe?
Gator

Post by Gator »

I do not have any personal experience with a diesel. Friends of mine that do have them love the Dodge with the Cummins Turbo Diesel with the 6 speed manual for towing.
Brian

Post by Brian »

You need to wait about 3 or 4 weeks and check out the new ford with the new 6.4 liter twin turbo. It will be best in class for towing. Folsom lake ford got one in today. I will be test driving it real soon. I have a 2003 F-250 6.0 liter now and it has plenty of power, but I am thinking real hard about trading it in for the new 2008 with the 6.4. Ford had some problems with the early 6.0 but I am hearing they got them all worked out in the new 6.4. The company that I work for has approx 150 ford diesel trucks. 90% of all companies that have diesel fleet trucks go with ford so that says something. And the new Chevy is as ugly as a home made bar of soap.
Oh boy here goes the Ford, Chevy, Dodge war
Brian
BassTraveler

Post by BassTraveler »

Ford...call Chuck Holder at Holder Ford in Lakeport.
888-701-8797
I have a Ford...cause they can flat out pull.
[url=http://www.nosweatmist.com/][img]http://www.westernbass.com/shared/sponsors/150x50/nosweat.jpg[/img][/url]
www.nixonsmarine.com
fishon662

Post by fishon662 »

Gator has the right idea I loved my 2000 ford 7.3 till i was towed home from reno by a 2003 dodge cummins and a six speed .
Gator

Post by Gator »

I am a ford guy myself. But I have ZERO diesel experience. Just the majority of talk and friend recommendations I have all point at the Dodge.
fishon662

Post by fishon662 »

The only problem with the dodge is you pay 50k and you get a great engine and tranny but a 50cent interior.
Lance

Post by Lance »

The wife is looking at the 6 speed (07) Dodge with the Cummings engine. Anyone know about this truck?
Mike T

Post by Mike T »

Brian gave you some good advice. Look at what most companies run. They have all had problems and I have towed plenty of them. It's a rare sight to see a Dodge towing another truck of any kind.
Be cautious of the Dodge product, just my humble opinion.

I have over 18 years towing experience, which means nothing except to me. Good luck and have fun with whatever make you and the wife end up with.
Alan

Post by Alan »

I have an 03 dodge cummins/ Auto, Thought It was a great truck, and really it has been. All I pull with it is my 20' glass boat and it does fine. However just today I used my bosses 06 chev. duramax / allison to go to Sac. from Oregon. I picked up a 12,000lb. load and could not beleive how much more power it had over my dodge. Both trucks are stock except the chev. is lifted 6" with 35's. That chev. rode better lifted. than my dodge. And the Interior of the chevy is 20 times more cush. I think I'm gonna be trading the dodge for a chevy. I do agree with a previous post that the chevy is ugly. I M O the ugly goes away with a lift and wheels and tires, but that does add about 3,000 to the cost. I have no experience with the fords at all, other than people I know who have them love them too. So this I am gonna go with the chev. for power and comfort over my dodge.
Fishin' Dave

Post by Fishin' Dave »

EXACTALLY fishon662!!

Dodge trucks are weak. People buy the Fords for the rest of the truck.

If you could get a cummins in a Ford (kits avaliable) that would be sweet!
Don't be lame. It's just fishing; you are not the new mesiah you know! Check your attitude at the door Mr. Spinners on da boat trailer.
Lance

Post by Lance »

That might be hard to order :lol:
MrSkeeter

Post by MrSkeeter »

I've went through this a few years back and settled on a Ford 7.3L PSD ... since, I have 194K miles on the truck without any major issues.

However, quite honestly, for bass fishing ... towing even the heaviest boats we have will not stress ANY of the diesel trucks they have out there!! Towing around horses, or other livestock is another story.

As mentioned in the previous posts, Ford has had some issues going from the 7.3 to the 6.0 motor. Mostly with the tranny I understand. For my money, I invested $300 in a tranny cooler in my PSD. I know people tell me that it's not a problem ... but, it is inexpensive insurance. I also change my tranny fluids every 50K miles ... overkill, maybe ... but for $60-70 once every other year, cheap insurance.

Depending on usage, and how you maintain your truck, you should have no problems with any of them.

Personally, I would never buy a Chevy ... simply they screw me once on an Astro Van, but that's another story in itself.

Most of the new diesels, be it Ford, Chevy or Dodge are REAL quiet now as well. It's a good time to be getting a new diesel! There are so many good trucks out there!!
Chris
" ... An adventure is a disaster that fails to kill you. A disaster is an adventure that does ..."
[url=http://www.bassclassics.org]Bass Classics of Santa Clara[/url]
[url=http://5littleones.googlepages.com/index.htm]My Home Page[/url]
912nitro

Post by 912nitro »

I wouldnt do anything until i checked out the Chevy Duramax with the Alison tranny......
All diesel motorhomes are equiped with the Alison tranny.
I used to work construction & have towed in excess of 50 thousand miles. Chevy is the 1 i stick with.
I currently have a 03 Duramax 2500 HD.
97,000 miles & still on the original set of brakes.
Just bought my second set of tires & had the front end checked out before buying the tires.
Mechanic said my shocks were gelling a little weak , other than that everything was ok. said i would need to change those brake pads in about 10.000 milesmor so.
My mechaninc asked me what kind of towing i did with my truck so he would know what shocks i wanted on it. i told him just my 21 ft. Bass Boat. He said the truck didnt even know it was back there when i was pulling it.
If you live around Oakley pm me & you cant check out this truck.
The Dodge motor is awesome, & you wont have any issues with it. their bodies are rattle traps ( not to be confused with the rattle traps you tie on you line for those green fish )......
BTW..... Dodge is the company that invented the automatic transmission.
One issue of Consumer Reports magazine said the Chevy Suburban is the best towing vehicle you can get for off the lot ready to tow.............that means you wont have to upgrade or add anything......
W#ith the finical reorganizing Ford is going thru right now i would beware of new trucks for a while.
Personally i wouldnt be afraid of a 06 , or earlier Ford diesel.
Wise men STILL seek Him....
Fishin' Dave

Post by Fishin' Dave »

Well, your MOTOR is not a Chevy. You have an Izuzu Diesel Motor then backed by an Allison trans. The Chevy part is the sheet metal and interior.

THIS SHOULD BE MOVED TO THE "VEHICLE DISCUSSION FORUM!!

It is dead in there and this would have been a good topic.
Don't be lame. It's just fishing; you are not the new mesiah you know! Check your attitude at the door Mr. Spinners on da boat trailer.
Rob Cummings

Post by Rob Cummings »

Hey Lance,

You don't need a new truck...spend the $$$ on that new Triton X2 you've been talking about!!!
"I believe that forgiving them is God's function. Our job is simply to arrange the meeting." -General N. Schwarzkopf
Lance

Post by Lance »

Ill keep you all posted and we'll concider everyones opinions. Thanks for all you help

Rob, were picking up both a boat and a truck, what types of boat and truck are up in the air
Hollywood

Post by Hollywood »

KVD just signed with toyota.......... I hear that new tundra is BIG, REAL BIG
DeltaDan

Post by DeltaDan »

FYI- Last year Dodge began installing Manual Tranny's manufactured from MBZ on the 600 series motors. The most easily way to tell the difference is if down from first (granny low) to second gear with an all the way to the right/up to engage reverse- that is the old NV. If reverse is up top of 1st (granny low) that is the MBZ tranny.

Ever since the incorporation of Diammler/Chrysler - I could not believe how similar the dash and ergonomics incorporate so much togther between the two.

Now the word that was started some 7-8 months back is that Dodge is gona replace the Cummins with MBZ motors as well in '09 when their contract ends.
You know, we always called each other goodfellas. Like, you'd say to somebody: "You're gonna like this guy; he's all right. He's a goodfella. He's one of us." You understand? We were goodfellas, wiseguys.

[b]Team LL [/b] (2006 ~ And Beyond !! )
L.Mickelson

Post by L.Mickelson »

My sugestion is get the General Motors with the Duamax. Iknow,iknow Ford, Dodge blah,blah, blah (he he). We all like something. The almost current LBZ motor has the most power of all three manufacturs at the moment. It is faster and quieter. That being said we are talking about vehicles produced prior to December 31,2006. After the first of this year all three manufactures are being forced to change the emmisions on their diesel motors. That is why ford now has the 6.4 twin turbo, the 6.0 sucked. General motors will have the same block but will be tuned down because of added emmision requirements. Dodge I don't know, great motor, lousy truck. Also all post January production desiels will have to be smogged making them harder to chip and soup up. The price is also going up on all vehicles $3000-5000 to accomidate the emmision requirements. Go buy one of the vehicles that was produced last year and save alot of money. I got a 2007 GMC 3500 1Ton 4x4 Dually. I just couldn't resist. Also you don't really want anything in the first year of production, Let them work a few bugs out first.
DeltaDan

Post by DeltaDan »

Another reason not to purchase a Ford Diesel- ........Just when they were introducing the new twin turbo engine. -- Wonder how long this engine will last before Ford switches to another- possibly even supplyer all togther. ..If they will take them on...... :?

Ford tussles with maker of diesels for F-Series
Updated 2/27/2007 8:51 AM ET

A dispute over diesel engines threatens production of heavy-duty F-Series trucks, like this F-250 Crew Cab.

By James R. Healey, USA TODAY

A dispute between Ford Motor (F) and its diesel engine supplier, International Truck and Engine, threatens to halt production of Ford's recently launched and important heavy-duty F-Series trucks.
International said it quit shipping diesels to Ford on Thursday and shut its Indianapolis engine plant on Monday, idling 1,200 workers.

"They haven't paid us. We can't continue to build excess inventory. We're a just-in-time manufacturer," International spokesman Roy Wiley says.

The dispute goes back to problems with 6-liter diesels that International supplied for previous Ford heavy-duty trucks beginning in 2002.

In a lawsuit filed Jan. 11 in Oakland County, Mich., Circuit Court, Ford says it "has incurred warranty repair, owner notification program and reacquired vehicle costs related to the 6.0L engine," and International hasn't paid its share, as required in a contract. To compensate, Ford withheld engine payments to International in December 2005 and again last month.

"There were some warranty problems with that, but we thought those problems were all cleared up with Ford," Wiley says. He calls the lawsuit "totally without merit" and says his company will file a response in court by the Wednesday deadline.

Ford has enough diesels to continue building 2008 heavy-duty F-Series trucks "for the near term. We're not saying whether that's days, weeks or months," says Ford spokeswoman Becky Sanch.

The redesigned F-Series heavy-duties are one of Ford's highest-profile introductions this year. Built at Ford's Kentucky plant, the heavy-duties make up 40% of F-Series sales, and 70% of them use the International diesel, Sanch says. F-250s and F-350s usually are configured as pickups. F-450s and F-550s typically are sold to buyers who outfit them as tow trucks, dump trucks and other commercial rigs.

Because buyers of heavy-duty trucks usually need them for business, they might shift to trucks from General Motors and Dodge if Fords aren't available.

"The timing is awkward to say the least, which makes me think it'll get resolved," says David Healy, auto industry analyst at Burnham Securities. "The big version of the F is all they have new in that line this year. It's all they have to advertise against the new Toyota pickup and GM's new line."

Diesel-truck sales generate about $11.6 billion annually for Ford, according to Peter Nesvold, Bear Stearns analyst. That's 7.2% of $160.1 billion total revenue last year. Ford reported a net loss last year of $12.7 billion and a $2.8 billion operating loss after taxes.

In a note to clients, Nesvold said Ford and International "are tied at the hip for diesel engines for the F-250 and F-350 (which also happens to be one of Ford's few major launches this year)."

If the standoff lasts more than 30 days, both companies could suffer significant losses, he said.

"A lot of money is involved. I can't tell you how much, but we wouldn't have taken such drastic action unless it was significant," Wiley says.

International's parent, Navistar International, was suspended from the New York Stock Exchange on Feb. 13 for not filing revised financial information for 2005 in time. Navistar shares trade over the counter, pending an appeal of the NYSE ruling. The company says it hasn't filed financial statements for 2005 or 2006, while it reviews apparent errors.

Contributing: The (Louisville) Courier-Journal

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/200 ... usat_x.htm
You know, we always called each other goodfellas. Like, you'd say to somebody: "You're gonna like this guy; he's all right. He's a goodfella. He's one of us." You understand? We were goodfellas, wiseguys.

Terry Smith

Post by Terry Smith »

I am A CHEVY man but when it come to the deisel it would be Ford,CHEVY,and then Dodge.
http://www.basscat.com
http://www.tntbaits.com/
Lounge Lizard Extreme Bass Fishing
(916) 719-7225
jchopper

Post by jchopper »

Chevy for sure... The new one just came out. Saw the first 4 door HD go in about an hour in Manteca. 6.6L Turbo Diesel, 365HP and 660 lb-ft torque. The interior is awesome. Looks like a car. Very nice! I just ordered mine, should be here in 6 weeks. Ford is having problems with their diesel. I've had three friends get them and all three have already blown something. They are also having big problems with thier warrantee.
flipit

Post by flipit »

Fishin' Dave wrote:EXACTALLY fishon662!!

Dodge trucks are weak. People buy the Fords for the rest of the truck.

If you could get a cummins in a Ford (kits avaliable) that would be sweet!
You can get the Cummins in the Ford. I think ya just have to go witha F450 or bigger. Just a thought, Ford owns Cummins and if they thought it was better then they would be using them.
Fishing should be fun.
DeltaDan

Post by DeltaDan »

flipit wrote:Ford owns Cummins and if they thought it was better then they would be using them.
Dodge has had and still has the exclusive contract with Cummins till '09.

Dodge was to go with MBZ engines after that contract ended in '09.

Now with the apparent upcomming break-up of Daimler/Chrysler.....What happens in the future with Dodge/Cummins-- we will all have to wait and see what is to be sorted out.

Colebass

I love me 2006 Dodge/Cummins Diesel

Post by Colebass »

The Cummins is the best diesel motor out there! The Dodge interiors were their weak link. However, they made changes in 2006 and I have been very happy with mine. I have owned Fords since 1986, but with the deals and changes Dodge made, I made the move and have no regrets!

You can get some screaming deals inn my area on 2500 or 3500 with or without dually wheels. I mean way under 40K!

My 06 2500 4x4 bighorn quadcab was $33,800.00 at Swift Dodge in Sacramento.
Dave Cole
DeltaDan

Re: I love me 2006 Dodge/Cummins Diesel

Post by DeltaDan »

Cole- What rearend gears do you have in the BigHorn?

Gas/Diesel ..... and MPG you are getting ??

bigdave44

Post by bigdave44 »

Definatley go with ford, I have a 2005 f-250 6.0 Turbo diesel. Its a great truck, engines are good, frame is excellent...when towing a boat, just dont forget you have one hooked up, cuz a diesel wont even know its there! Although i have had zero problems with my 6.0, if you got the cash...go for the new twin-turbo's...and I would take DeltaDan's post about Ford's dispute with their vendors as an excuse to BUY NOW! The resale on your truck will probably be higher too if they quit supplying them. 8)..just my 2 cents...

In regards to mpg, with an extended cab, short bed, stock tires, upgraded suspension...i get an average around 16mpg...20 on long highway trips and around 12-13 driving short trips around town.
joe fish

Post by joe fish »

i love my chevy. :D
Fishin' Dave

Post by Fishin' Dave »

Ford does not own cummins

See www.FTE.com
Bronze Bass

Post by Bronze Bass »

Hi Lance,

You are on the right track!
Asking fellow anglers is a start and you can do more research,
ask any mechanics that you might know what they would recommend and what repairs you should expect from each truck manufacturer.Don't let anyone fool you,Diesel trucks will cost you more for general maintence and repairs.But in the long run they
will last much longer,and like some of the posts stated a little preventive maintence won't hurt either.Check out this site and other sites like it, the guys on here are willing to help anyway they can http://www.thedieselstop.com/
I own a Ford 350 SD 7.3 PowerStroke and love it! The only problems i have had are; Radiator Hose clamps were "new & improved" but they were no good and the dealer replaced them.
Front Ball Joints on Fords are a known problem and one of my
front ones went at 35,000 miles (Moog makes a lifetime ball joint).
The other problem was (i believe) the PCV sensor Positive
Crankcase Ventilation Sensor which is a known problem and
Ford truck owners carry a spare sensor in their gloveboxes.Every truck,make,and model has their quirks and you must decide what
is the least of all evils! Good Luck!
bruizer343

Post by bruizer343 »

Fishin' Dave wrote:Ford does not own cummins

See www.FTE.com
I get a internet connection page with that link.

Im ready for a another diesel. I had a ford 00 F350 PSD.
I ruined it with a lift kit, the ride that is..I sold it in 06.

Next truck will be a 3/4 crew short box. Im really considering
a 2wheel drive this time. It will get commuted to San Jose from Byron 20 trips a month. Daily driver as well.

Anyways, Im reading all I can, test drives coming in a few days and next couple a weeks.