Why is it some fishermen and wakeboarders can get along

bruizer343

Re: See

Post by bruizer343 »

T-bag. whats your point ?
Do you not acknowledge that a large % of the wakeboard boaters behave as if they are the only boaters out on the delta ?

In reguards to boat operation.

Just because your boat can produce a wake, dons't give you cart blanche to roll em everywhere you want. You own the wakes you make.

How can you possibly be paying attention to those around you with that music as loud as you people play it ?

Why do you pull your riders through blind corners leading through narrow channels ? Then dump your riders, flip a U and block the turn sittin sideways to the flow how traffic ? on the blind end ?

On the street that's called a wreck.......

Seriously I don't get it at all, help me understand where you people are comming from.

B343
Lance

Post by Lance »

T Bag wrote:
Lance your right, the guys in that boat were being total a-holes and probably got what they deserved. Let me shoot this at ya though, do you think if you had gone over and helped AFTER he had already damaged his boat pretty bad on the reef but before he completely trashed his boat. Do you think that would have possible changed his dickish attitude and made him think more about his actions? I would be willing to bet he would have shared his positive experience with all of his friends. I bet they all would have changed their views on alot of the fishermen out there and given them alot more respect and space on the water. This would have really showed that you were willing to be the bigger man and still lend a helping hand
T Bag, perhaps I would have helped IF:

- I didnt pay alot of money to fish a turney that I would have got DQ'd for being late, we had about 3-4 minutes till check in

- That reef was big, my Pro wasnet gong to damage his boat to save a guy that just flipped everyone off.

- I think instead of helping him save his boat, then he tells his friends how cool bass guys are because they saved him? Still wouldnt be as effective as him laying awake at night wondering if we would have helped him if he didnt give anyone the finger. There in lies the classic saying "We reap what we sowe"

Music? While I like Johnny cash I dont see how you can board to him. I feel you need something HEAVY and fast. Any new metal will be just fine with me, just please dont play Skynard, its so "Grandpa" 8)
Friendship is like peeing in your pants, everyone can see it, but only you can feel the true warmth.
CN

Re: Why is it some fishermen and wakeboarders can get along

Post by CN »

DUDE,come on only punk's use that word.I am outa here this site has gone downhill.

I was trying to be a little on your side not all wakeboarder's are jerk's but now I am re-thinking that thought.

Back to the report's a little more helpful and not so much friggin drama and pissed off people.
Terry Smith

Post by Terry Smith »

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP THIS POST ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAPPPPPPPPPPPPP
http://www.basscat.com
http://www.tntbaits.com/
Lounge Lizard Extreme Bass Fishing
(916) 719-7225
Vince E

Post by Vince E »

Terry--
RX
Beer b0ng a quart of Yeagermister,(you can borrow one from the wakeboarders if you've misplaced yours) take two asprin (ibu bad for liver)
and repost in the morning.
PS Ever live in Fremont?
Vince
miklanderson

Post by miklanderson »

I'll take a wakeboard boat full of hot chicks blowing by me over one of those huge cruisers driven by a 70 year old that's pushing 6 foot waves behind it any day of the week.

I may be in the minority here but I for the most part havent had much trouble with the wakeboard boats. For the most part, they seem pretty cool and usually try to pass on the far side of the slough when possible. Some of the Delta waterways are narrow and we've all gotta share them.

T-bag - I do know one thing though...I think it's crazy some of the high traffic areas I see the wakeboarders skiing in. I'm not knocking you guys for doing it but I wouldn't put my friends or family on a wakeboard behind my boat anywhere in the Delta. There's too many crazy drivers on the river that drive all kinds of boats. You may be the safest driver in the world but it only takes one idiot to turn a fun day into a tragedy...
optichamp

Post by optichamp »

I guess I can see all sides on this issue. I dabbled in bass fishing for years, finally bought a good bass boat last year and am now being more serious about it. I also dabbled in water skiing and boarding as I have friends that are serious about that sport. I even once owned one of those (gasp!) "water lice" Jet Skis - and I mean the real standup model, not the sissy sitdown variety :twisted:

I can't say I've seen any boarders do anything really dumb or dangerous on the Delta. I know it happens, but I haven't seen it. From what I've seen, the serious water users - fishermen or boarders are the safest groups. Heck, it was the big wakes from wakeboard boats that finally got me to buy a bigger boat :wink:

The oddest thing I've personally seen on the Delta was one older fellow in a runabout with his family, and I assume his grandkid, who looked twelve or so. They were towing the kid on a tube, about ten feet behind the boat, going about five mph. I'm not sure if that was meant to be fun for the kid, or punishment, 'cause he sure wasn't going fast enough to make the ride fun. While a lady drove, Grandad stood in the back of the boat with a megaphone and barked orders at all boats withing a hundred yards. Apparently his boat was a moving no wake/no passing zone in his eyes. At the time I had only a small boat with 25 horses, and another boat was coming the other way, so I slowed down and followed about 50 yards behind, waiting for the way to clear. Gramps was yelling at me the whole time telling me to stay back, even though I had good separation and was going slowly. One guy in a Ranger had enough of this, and cranked it up to go around both of us, and gramp's voice rose a couple octaves as the fast boat went around. When I finally passed the slow boat, he kept barking at me as well, even though I was passing safely. I appreciate he was concerned about his family's safety, but if he'd had his way the Delta would about as much fun as I-580 in rush hour.

A couple days ago I was running south out of Franks, enjoying a day off and a deserted river. The only other boat in sight was a ski boat pulling a skier out of the wind, right along the levee, where the water was smoothest. Technically, he should he have moved over to the other side of the slough, but we were the the only two boats out there, I could see why he was where he was, so when we were about a half mile apart I checked my six to make sure no Cigarette boat (or cigar boat, as Hooters Girls call them) was passing me, then moved over to the far side. They waved as we passed, appreciating the gesture.

Years ago the lady and I were riding Jet Skis, minding our own business, when one clown, also in a runabout, insisted on following her about fifty feet behind. If she'd fallen, which is common on standup skis, he would have probably hit her. His eyes got rather big when I turned toward him and waved him off, then he got the idea and turned away. A month ago I found myself near Disco Bay, behind a tweener on a PWC, and even though I wanted to pass I suspected she might turn without looking, and kept back. She did exactly that a few moments later, and the anticipation on my part possibly saved a nasty accident.

In no way am I claiming to be an expert fisherman, or boater for that matter, but I'll side with the crowd that says we should all try to get along, and anticipate & avoid potential conflicts. Treating others as we'd like to be treated might be old fashioned, but it's not a bad idea.
"The wine was bad, but not dull. It took the enamel off your teeth and left it on the roof of your mouth."

-Ernest Hemmingway, A Farewell to Arms
T Bag

Post by T Bag »

Honestly my intentions for this post was for me to try and show that not all wakeboarders are jacka$$'s and that many of us want to get along with all the other boaters out there. Heck I went onto a BASS FISHERMAN's website to make this posting. There are obviously some of you out there that just dont get it and I am sorry for your ignorance. Bones I would suggest you do go out fishing because your lack of acceptance that there might be people out that that have a mutual respect for eachother is pretty sad. Find a nice little pond where you dont come in contact with anything besides fish for all of our sakes. Props to those of you on here that see this post for its intentions and thank you to those of you that have responded with positive and helpful comments. I thank you
sTony

Post by sTony »

Gee Bones,

Now I gotta wonder who that post was pointed at, hahaha.

I am a proud Legend owner, now that YOU brought it up. And I try my best to be respectful of ALL boats on the water doing whatever activity they do.

I also try to be respectful of any one that jumps into this forum and I think that constructive debate in this forum with the wakers that have went out of their way to come in here and address the issues is a real and true feather in their cap and I for one admire them for it. They've been beaten upside the heads by some of the posters and it isn't moving the topic forward in a positive manner.

But then that seems to be your MO on nearly all your posts regardless of the topic.

sTony