Alabama Rig

Marc

Re: Alabama Rig

Post by Marc »

Nothing to ponder on that example, kb. The same regulation also defines a hook as having a point, or multiple points in the case of a treble. So by definition, if you cut off the point it is no longer a hook by the regulation's definition.

ciao,
Marc Marcantonio
www.RangerBoats.com
www.Evinrude.com
www.QuickDropsWeights.com
www.Yamamoto.Baits.com
www.Lamiglas.com
www.Gamakatsu.com
www.LuckyCraft.com
www.Lowrance.com
www.TransducerShieldandSaver.com
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Levy,
That was funny! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Great post.
"Reaction Innovation's Five Finger Tickler"...He should copywrite that, like Pat Riley did with Threepeat.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
N.A.R

Post by N.A.R »

Marc wrote:So by definition an Alabama Rig with only 3 hooks (despite 5 swimbaits) would be tournament legal in California unless the TD declares it illegal by their own tournament rule (like trolling is often declared illegal for tournament purposes).

ciao,
Marc Marcantonio
Marc is correct!
FISHMANLEE

Post by FISHMANLEE »

Just to shed a little light on this topic. I have spoken to fish and game wardens regarding the Calabama Rig and it is legal to use my rig. I have already sent them photos and there is a legal way to rig the Calabama Rig to legally fish in the state of California. Also I had my Calabama Rig cleared to fish in tourney's here in southern California. If you look at the reg it states 1 angler, 1 rod, on 1 line is allowed up to three lures and each lure can have up to three hooks. Now on the 5 wire Calabama Rig 3 wires will have hooks with lures on them, but 2 will be not considered a lure because the will not have hooks in them(Dummies or Teasers). When I spoke with fish and game they did tell me that I could rig the Calabama Rig with as many dummies or teasers as i wanted. Hope this helps and I believe u might be able to get your hands on one of the Calabama Rigs at Bass-a thon.
CN

Post by CN »

Do they have a tackle box for it yet? I dont think I will be buying any soon but it might work but not in the lake's I fish that much I know.
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

CN wrote:Do they have a tackle box for it yet? I dont think I will be buying any soon but it might work but not in the lake's I fish that much I know.
Probably gonna need a 5 gallon bucket.
CLEAN AND DRY
Oldschool

Post by Oldschool »

This rig is a hot topic and it's interesting to watch the reactions of the promised next panacea lure.
In SoCal the vast majority of tournament anglers are extremely line sensitive and use lightest test smallest diameter FC premium line avaible. Now these same anglers are willing to clip on small swimmers directly onto heavy wire with snap swivels. Amazing!
Tom
Ringer

Post by Ringer »

I can see my grandson now watching the next FLW. "Papa, you taught me to fish one lure at a time in a tournament-why is that Pro chucking out a two pound rig and reeling it in with a winch?
frank

Post by frank »

Been trolling them for years in the delta KB. Have 4 baits w/o hooks hanging out on spreaders like the Alambama rig with with one attached to a leader in the middle of spreader trailing further behind with a hook. This rig flat out catches the stripers. They are home made and I have been stopped by DFG. The warden actually thought it was pretty cool and asked me how to make one. We talked for about an hour and I even gave him one to try out. It is not a lure if it has no hook, so this rig is considered the same as fishing a fish trap solo, just with a little extra bling. I use the same wire people use to create sturgeon leaders to attach the dummy baits at the end of the spreader wire so there is no question on if there is a hook or not. If you rig it right it IS legal according to the warden that stopped me two years ago. The only thing that makes the Alabama rig special and differnt is its' castability. It never came into play in tournaments in the past since trolling is not allowed so the umbrella rig really could not be utilized.

If people do not like it say you do not like and that you feel it may not be sporting. Trying to site mortality rates and such with no real research is couter productive. If that is the case we should ban super spooks as well. I do not know many people that have not stuck a gill plate with a stray hook while there is one in the mouth. How about structure scan? Even polarized sunglasses during the spawn while looking at a bed fish? It is called inovation and technology.

It just amazes me how many people are jumping to conclusions quoting this regulation and that regualtion when we all know you have to go to many differnt regulations to explain the original regulations such as the definition of a lure. You are correect KB, if you consider a swimbait with no hook a lure the rig is not legal but that is not the case. I agree with you KB, we should find out from the people who enforce the laws. I have talked to Wardens and they gave me their blessing. I hope you do have a Warden on your show soon to clear this up.

Just remember, if people make a big deal out of this new rig saying "BAN IT" talking about fish mortality we are just going to get more regulations that will be misread and we will be reading a different thread. Who knows, the 2 fluke rig could be a victum to a new regulation that comes from this. Spooks may have to be fished with only 2 hooks.

I will not throw the rig for the same reason I do not throw big swimbaits, my back just can not take it. I just have issues with people asking for more regulations in one of the most regulated states.
jloo283

Post by jloo283 »

No issues with people using it for pleasure, it's a legal method after all. There are worse things people can do as far as fishing goes. My issue is with its use in tournaments, especially bass. I can come up with many opinions, the bottom line is, I believe we should hold our tournaments to the highest standards possible and this rig really undermines everything.

James
Chris N

Post by Chris N »

It undermines everything? Really? I thought the jelly worm undermined everything with it's fruity scent. How did we stray so far? :lol:
fish_food

Post by fish_food »

Chris N wrote:It undermines everything? Really? I thought the jelly worm undermined everything with it's fruity scent. How did we stray so far? :lol:
:D

Yea, what's with all this "undermining" talk? Some folks really try to elevate bass fishing's "purity" onto some imagined pedestal the way fruity flea flickers have done to their pastime over the centuries. It's just an overgrown sunfish we're trying to snag after all!
jloo283

Post by jloo283 »

fish_food wrote:
Chris N wrote:It undermines everything? Really? I thought the jelly worm undermined everything with it's fruity scent. How did we stray so far? :lol:
:D

Yea, what's with all this "undermining" talk? Some folks really try to elevate bass fishing's "purity" onto some imagined pedestal the way fruity flea flickers have done to their pastime over the centuries. It's just an overgrown sunfish we're trying to snag after all!
You know, just like everything in life, anyone is free to take whatever they do to any level they wish. I take things I do in my life to the highest level I can within whatever limitations, fishing in "overgrown sunfish" tournaments is one of them. And they may be just "overgrown sunfish" but look at what it has done to the world of sport fishing around the world, and to overgrown homosapiens :lol:
fish_food

Post by fish_food »

jloo283 wrote:And they may be just "overgrown sunfish" but look at what it has done to the world of sport fishing around the world, and to overgrown homosapiens :lol:
I believe the technical term for the body type exhibited by overgrown Homo sapiens who fish for bass is "Sportsman's Physique"
bryanmc

Post by bryanmc »

fish_food wrote: I believe the technical term for the body type exhibited by overgrown Homo sapiens who fish for bass is "Sportsman's Physique"
Dobynesque? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post by 619 »

Don't fish it, It will kill the Bass. Please send all unwanted lures to me. I will destroy them for you.

From what I here the Bass at DVL are in bad shape. Don't think it's from the Bama Rig

You guys are something else.
Jim V.

Post by Jim V. »

kb wrote:I have no idea guys I posted the regulation exactly the way it reads from the Fish and Game Fishing Regulations and bolded the area that would effect the Alabama Rig. If you guys think you have a way around it have at it!!!! The reg says no more than three hooks or three artificial lures.

If you threw it in a tournament I would expect you would probably be protested and reading this regulation I would suspect you would be disqualified....

kb
That is the correct reg that limits it to no more than three artificial lures and three hooks per lure. But very seldom are Codes & Regs simply black & white. Like most regs in California, you have to consider the definitions of the things the code/reg covers. In this case especially, what is a lure? The regs define both artificial lure and lure:

1.11. Artificial Lure.

An artificial lure is a man-made lure or fly designed to attract fish. This definition does not include scented or flavored artificial baits.
1.60. Lure.
A manufactured article or object equipped with one or more hooks designed to attract or catch fish.

So perhaps any number of "artificial lures" might be OK as long as no more than 3 "lures" have hooks. I'm sure DFG will offer an opinion sooner than later.
stickbait

Post by stickbait »

Marc wrote:If you ask me the fishing regulations are simple and clear.

If you use the Alabama Rig and use 3 swimbaits with hooks, and two with no hook, by the California Regs as written that would be legal because only the swimbaits with hooks qualify as a "lure."

kb's quote is correct, but the part he forgot to check is the definition of the word "lure", as defined within the same regulation. That definition appears in the General Fishing Rules section, and reads:

1.60. Lure.
A manufactured article or object equipped with one or more hooks designed to attract or catch fish.

That isn't to say that a warden won't cite you; but he/she would be in contradiction to the law if they did and any lawyer would easily beat the ticket.

ciao,
Marc
P.S. It is always important to read all the rules, not just parts of them.

I agree.... and if the two extra swim baits (without hooks) are the problem.. just switch them with two willow leaf blades..
calfisher71

Post by calfisher71 »

Here is local tackle Companies version,The Claifornia RIG!

http://www.rbbassfishing.net/2011/11/10/6133/
Fishing creates memories for a life time.
www.rbbassfishing.net
#RBASS
Phil

Post by Phil »

calfisher71 wrote:Here is local tackle Companies version,The California RIG!

Nice looking rig!!!!!!!!! "CALIFORNIA RIG"
Last edited by Phil on Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
Phil

Post by Phil »

drew wrote:Is a willow leaf blade on a spinnerbait considered a lure?
No, it has no hooks and is an attractor just like trolling blades on trout trolling rigs with one hook or lure at the end.
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Phil wrote:
calfisher71 wrote:Here is local tackle Companies version,The Claifornia RIG!

Nice looking rig!!!!!!!!!
+1 Clever.
CLEAN AND DRY
Ceaser

Post by Ceaser »

Man with all this uproar, that rig must be the holy grail of lures. Banning it from tourneys because it is like cheating or something... shoot sounds like all i need is a few alabama rigs and then i can catch way more fish than everyone else cuz the rig is so great! who needs skill and experience. now i cant wait till summer then i can throw 5 frogs at once and catch a 30 lb limit on one cast (two frogs as decoys of course). Things will be so much easier now :roll:
is that glitter!? Nice boat tinkerbell!
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

It was designed by an Orthopedic surgeon, who specializes in shoulder surgery. :lol: :lol: :lol:
CLEAN AND DRY
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

I dont say it often, but KB is right on this topic. California rules and regs are written poorly and offer a lot of room for interpretation. When it comes to OSHA, DTSC and other poorly written rules, THE ONLY RULE is if you are not 100% sure of the rule get an official ruling in writing from a regulator (in this case an administrator at the DFG) If your able to interpret and fudge the rule so is the enforcement agency (game warden) yes the rule may be poorly written but do you want to be the one to arbitrate it (go to court) and have the final ruling appear there.

I can see guys being cited for using this rig, just like the stupid interpretation of culling, and hook in or out of the mouth. If you are going to challenge the DFG on their interpretation pobably best to talk to your TD first and see what they say about this rig being sporting etc... and by virtue of the fact that one should ask two separate officials, we know that it is not ok in CA.....yet.
- JaJa Jigs - Get THUNKED
Links to Check Out -
https://www.instagram.com/jm_ash/
https://www.bestbasstournaments.com/
BS'r

Post by BS'r »

now i cant wait till summer then i can throw 5 frogs at once and catch a 30 lb limit on one cast
Good idea, I was only thinking about 2 or 3 and making a small flock of birds. Heck, I'll add some S-20's with hooks in my birds mouths.
CN

Post by CN »

Was one Tournament won with this rig. I can see a few bodies of water where it would work out West but not a new "Catch all" lure. I think it's ok to use but not in Bass Tournament's.

I'm sure this thing has been used for some time :wink:
Steve Reed

Post by Steve Reed »

Here's the California version I put together at the shop.

It's not often I get to get out from behind the desk so it was neat putting together several options.

This particular model is the Rago Bait Ball with three 1/4oz Strike King swimbait heads, tho Strike King size 5 spinnerbait blades, and the best kept secret the Keitech Pro Blue/Red Pearl swing impact swimbaits.

We rigged up several option including a mini-moe version that weighed in at 9.6 ounces and was a whole lot of fun to cast.
Attachments
cali-bama.jpg
cali-bama.jpg (12.52 KiB) Viewed 6425 times
Monsterfishingtackle.com
Phil

Post by Phil »

"The California Rig" weighs in at 1/2 oz. A little easier to cast for me, after you add attachements to the wires.
Attachments
California Rig Gizzard Shad.jpg
California Rig Gizzard Shad.jpg (18.48 KiB) Viewed 6407 times
calfisher71

Post by calfisher71 »

There is another invention just out of japan!

look at this!

get a kick out of it! So this new set up will allow for 20 lures at once??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyftJByL ... r_embedded
www.rbbassfishing.net
#RBASS
mrobinett

Post by mrobinett »

Crap. Thanks calfisher, now I have to go back to the Bassathon at Anglers Marine to buy one of those. Or should I maybe get two of them. Hmmmm.
calfisher71

Post by calfisher71 »

lol! JUST REMEBER YOU WILL HAVE 9 TEASERS AND ONLY THREE HOOKS!
www.rbbassfishing.net
#RBASS
Phil

Post by Phil »

In that case you may be better with this rig
Attachments
Extended arm rig.jpg
Extended arm rig.jpg (6.96 KiB) Viewed 6376 times
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Of all the imitators I saw at the BAT, the Calabama Rig looked the best.
CLEAN AND DRY
flippenfool

Post by flippenfool »

This might clear a few things up or muddy the water even more; if the bait rig exceeds 1 ounce in total or isn't buoyant it can not be used in the state of California.
3. It is unlawful to use any multiple hook or more than one single hook on non-buoyant lures exceeding one ounce.
This could make this a challenge to fish with these restrictions, but three baits will be easier to stay in these parameters than five will. Any thoughts on this interpretation???
Last edited by flippenfool on Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mike Moreno
http://www.revengebaits.com/
http://www.teamccmarine.com/
http://shop.peregrine250.com/
http://www.stcroixrods.com/
http://www.jigssnakebitebaits.com
http://MonsterFishingTackle.com
Phil

Post by Phil »

Boy, I am no expert by any means. But I casted one testing it for three hours the other day, and with three baits hanging on the back that were 1/8 oz each, making it weigh in at 7/8 ox. It cast a country mile, and at a standard retrieve would sink about to 10 ft. Sllower would sink a lot more, of speed it up, it ran about 3 to 5 ft deep. Oh, plus it had a spinner blade on it , a safety pin type head.
Rod Martin

Post by Rod Martin »

flippenfool wrote:This might clear a few things up or muddy the water even more; if the bait rig exceeds 1 ounce in total or isn't buoyant it can not be used in the state of California.
3. It is unlawful to use any multiple hook or more than one single hook on non-buoyant lures exceeding one ounce.
This could make this a challenge to fish with these restrictions, but three baits will be easier to stay in these parameters than five will. Any thoughts on this interpretation???
Doesnt that screw up all the mods done to the 8oz. Hud. ? ROF16 or for that matter any spoon?
TR177 Ranger/ Mercury/Lowrance/ Ghost TM
fish_food

Post by fish_food »

flippenfool wrote:This might clear a few things up or muddy the water even more; if the bait rig exceeds 1 ounce in total or isn't buoyant it can not be used in the state of California.
The example above is ridiculous. You can't just randomly quote a section of the regulations that's completely out of context and apply it to the situation in which an Alabama type rig is fished. You have to quote the entire passage in it's correct context to see it doesn't apply here:

(b) Maximum Gaps and Gear Rigging for Rivers and Streams unless otherwise provided (does not apply to lakes and reservoirs, the Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta (see Section 1.71 for definition of the Delta), and the Colorado River).
1. No person shall use any single hook with a gap greater than 1 inch or any multiple hook with a gap greater than 3/4 inch.
2. It is unlawful to use any hook which is directly or indirectly attached closer than 18 inches to any weight exceeding 1/2 ounce.
4. It is unlawful to use any weight directly attached below a hook.
fish_food

Post by fish_food »

Rod Martin wrote:
Doesnt that screw up all the mods done to the 8oz. Hud. ? ROF16 or for that matter any spoon?
No.
Phil

Post by Phil »

2. It is unlawful to use any hook which is directly or indirectly attached closer than 18 inches to any weight exceeding 1/2 ounce.
(well the Alabama Rig is less than 18" I believe)??? (And Raygo bait & Alabama are over 1/2 oz I think???)

(What does this do to say suspending heavy crankbaits or your heavy swimbaits that sink???)

(What about all the belly hooks below the hook used on swimbaits???)

Looks like the rules are kind of a maybe and if or ???????? Or none apply to Bass fishing??
fish_food

Post by fish_food »

Phil, please re-read what I posted:

(b) Maximum Gaps and Gear Rigging for Rivers and Streams unless otherwise provided (does not apply to lakes and reservoirs, the Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta (see Section 1.71 for definition of the Delta), and the Colorado River).
1. No person shall use any single hook with a gap greater than 1 inch or any multiple hook with a gap greater than 3/4 inch.

What's so hard to understand?
Phil

Post by Phil »

Phil, please re-read what I posted:

What's so hard to understand?Thank you for letting me know, no need to be a smart A$$ about it though......I just did not read section (B) the part that it does not apply to lakes etc!! Holy Crap man!!!!!!!!
fish_food

Post by fish_food »

Not being a smart a$$ at all. In my first post, I stated that people should refer to the entire regulation in order to understand it. I posted the regulation, with the relevant sections that someone else had previously left out. You have to consider the first part before subsections 1-4 make sense.
Last edited by fish_food on Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phil

Post by Phil »

Ok, you got it .
FISHINGREP

Post by FISHINGREP »

Fisherman's Warehouses just got in the Rago Bait balls. Alan Fong has been fishing an Alabama Rig with 2 willow leaf blades and having good success!
Phil

Post by Phil »

Here is one that I have been using for awhile. Tested to run true and at various depths depending on retrieve.
Attachments
CALIFORNIA RIG SPIN.jpg
CALIFORNIA RIG SPIN.jpg (10.26 KiB) Viewed 6176 times
FISHMANLEE

Re: Calabama Rig

Post by FISHMANLEE »

For all the folks that are still skeptical of the Calabama Rig. It is Legal to fish with 5 baits, but only 3 can have hooks. Tournament rules must abide by DFG rules. This is an email I sent to the Los Alamitos DFG Office. Spoke with a Lt. Hartman and Captain. The first email you see is my question for her to specifiy how this rig can be legally fished in the state of California. So here you go.....

>>> DANNY LEE <danolee47@yahoo.com> 10/27/2011 3:19 PM >>>

Here is the picture u asked for. The reason for this email is to cover the gray area in regards to the regulation for the state of California on how many baits u can have on this rig and how many baits can have hooks in them to be legal to fish in the state of California.
thx
danny

Mr. Lee,
I have conferred with another warden that works in Central California, and we are in agreement that the information you received from the first warden you spoke to was correct. If you are fishing in freshwater, in an area that does not have special restrictions, such as those found in section 7.50 of the CCR T-14 beginning on page 32 of the freshwater sport fishing regulations book, it is legal to use the rig in your picture, as long as only three of the "arms" have hooks, per CCR T-14 2.00. Please refer to page 14 of the regulation book for further information. In regards to bait, the same regulations would pertain to this rig as they would a regular line with three hooks, so if bait is allowed in that area, you may use that bait on this rig.
Here is a link to the current freshwater regulation book, (on the far right side of the page when the link opens).
LT Hartman
Calabama Rig.JPG
Calabama Rig.JPG (140.03 KiB) Viewed 6103 times
Last edited by FISHMANLEE on Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rod Martin

Re: Calabama Rig

Post by Rod Martin »

FISHMANLEE wrote:For all the folks that are still skeptical of the Calabama Rig. It is Legal to fish with 5 baits, but only 3 can have hooks. Tournament rules must abide by DFG rules. This is an email I sent to the Los Alamitos DFG Office. Spoke with a Lt. Hartman and Captain. The first email you see is my question for her to specifiy how this rig can be legally fished in the state of California. So here you go.....

>>> DANNY LEE <danolee47@yahoo.com> 10/27/2011 3:19 PM >>>

Here is the picture u asked for. The reason for this email is to cover the gray area in regards to the regulation for the state of California on how many baits u can have on this rig and how many baits can have hooks in them to be legal to fish in the state of California.
thx
danny

Mr. Lee,
I have conferred with another warden that works in Central California, and we are in agreement that the information you received from the first warden you spoke to was correct. If you are fishing in freshwater, in an area that does not have special restrictions, such as those found in section 7.50 of the CCR T-14 beginning on page 32 of the freshwater sport fishing regulations book, it is legal to use the rig in your picture, as long as only three of the "arms" have hooks, per CCR T-14 2.00. Please refer to page 14 of the regulation book for further information. In regards to bait, the same regulations would pertain to this rig as they would a regular line with three hooks, so if bait is allowed in that area, you may use that bait on this rig.
Here is a link to the current freshwater regulation book, (on the far right side of the page when the link opens).
LT Hartman

Wheres the picture. ? With all thats been written which one is the Calibama rig?
TR177 Ranger/ Mercury/Lowrance/ Ghost TM
Phil

Post by Phil »

Don't know about Calabama Rig..but I can show you a "California Rig" if you want ?????
FISHMANLEE

Post by FISHMANLEE »

Dont have a pic where im at but the Calabama Rig is a 5 wire rig. Powder-coated 5/8 oz Leadhead, Single Strand Stainless 360lb wire, 165lb crane swivel with 120lb snap. The rig was to be made bullet proof.
Calabama Rig.JPG
Calabama Rig.JPG (140.03 KiB) Viewed 6097 times