It all started around here January 3rd 1998

stickbait

It all started around here January 3rd 1998

Post by stickbait »

Bumped into this read..... oh what great times....lots of memories.

This is what we did around here 25 years ago ! So grab yourself a soda or cup of coffee and enjoy some back and forth with a bunch of good dudes, several are watching us from the big pond in the sky, miss them so much !

the-first-rally-t45709.html

when-did-you-start-t17631.html

https://www.angelfire.com/ca/AStoltz/NutcasePOF.html
ash
SpeedBump

Re: It all started around here January 3rd 1998

Post by ash »

Man I cant believe Cooch ever had dark hair HAR! - That was a great time, I missed the prime but I am a twice awarded numb nut and once awarded odd nut - I cherish my NUTS :lol: :lol:

My reply to when it all started.
I believe it was 99' - 2000 still NCBF.com I was just introduced to bass fishin and found this site, ultimate bass.com and BFHP. I posted under Hawghunter but there was dom the hawghunter and some other hawghunter so I went with my club monicur SOCB (South Orange County Bassmasters Hawghunter) Now that I havent been with the club for a while perhaps I will just post as JMA - my initials.

Even though I was from SoCal I spent more time lurking and posting on the Northern Board as I was very intruiged by the style of fishing and some of the different go to techniques.

So I have been blessed enough that I grew up bass fishing with the internet and the Nutcases as a resource to grow my skills.

SO I BLAME YOU ALL FOR MY FINISH LAST SUNDAY ON FOLSOM :roll:
- JaJa Jigs - Get THUNKED
Links to Check Out -
https://www.instagram.com/jm_ash/
https://www.bestbasstournaments.com/
kb

Post by kb »

I couldn't begin to tell you the first time I posted on WB.com or NCBF.com at that time. We have had alot of fun over the years for sure it just doesn't seem to be the same kind of fun that used to go on here like the old days. Maybe cuz ol' Cooch isn't holding court and keeping those younguns in line.... Har Har Har!!!

On October 1st I start the 18th year of the Ultimate Bass Radio Show with show number 888.... Yea that is 888 consecutive Saturday's and a 4am wake up call! When we started the only archive was here on Western Bass and I had to take a recorded CD of the show and either mail them or meet up with Tony or the guys and give them the disk, they then downloaded the show and posted it to the archive pages for those guys that missed the show. Before iTunes, before podcasts, facebook, instagram, twitter and even My Space!!!

I miss some of the old guys.... don't miss some of the old guys but it did bring a lot of folks with one interest together and for that we should all be grateful. Thanks to Wayne for keeping WB pretty much the way it has always been and honestly there are a few of ya on here that are in need of a good old fashioned Cooch *** chewin from time to time...

kb
(yes I do get to have my WB.com handle in lower case letters cuz I am that old!)
California Outdoor Hall of Fame
Ultimate Bass Radio Saturday's on KHTK Sac Town Sports 1140
JL

Post by JL »

Who remembers " Dom the Hawg Hunter" ? This guy was quite the character to say the least! I sold my old 201 Champion to him on a payment plan. Mistake on my part for sure! Finally had MY BOAT repoed from him during a tournament at Clear Lake. LMFAO, that was 22 years ago and when thinking about it, I can't stop laughing and imagining what he thought when he got back to the hotel after the tournament meeting and seeing MY boat gone! We met him at the local police dept the next day to give him all his rods, tackle etc! Told him, by law he had 15 days to pay me what he owed me or I would keep MY boat. A week later I had my money, plus all the bounced check fees AND I charged him the fee I had to pay the Repo Co. ( Thank you ,John Brossard) Lesson learned here was I thought a fellow bass fisherman wouldn't stiff me, especially when we were all on NCBF at the time. I'm sure there are PLENTY more stories that the old Nutcases can tell! Bring them ON! :lol:
stickbait

Post by stickbait »

JL wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 11:10 am Who remembers " Dom the Hawg Hunter" ? This guy was quite the character to say the least! I sold my old 201 Champion to him on a payment plan. Mistake on my part for sure! Finally had MY BOAT repoed from him during a tournament at Clear Lake. LMFAO, that was 22 years ago and when thinking about it, I can't stop laughing and imagining what he thought when he got back to the hotel after the tournament meeting and seeing MY boat gone! We met him at the local police dept the next day to give him all his rods, tackle etc! Told him, by law he had 15 days to pay me what he owed me or I would keep MY boat. A week later I had my money, plus all the bounced check fees AND I charged him the fee I had to pay the Repo Co. ( Thank you ,John Brossard) Lesson learned here was I thought a fellow bass fisherman wouldn't stiff me, especially when we were all on NCBF at the time. I'm sure there are PLENTY more stories that the old Nutcases can tell! Bring them ON! :lol:
ha ha ,, I remember.. talk of the town for sure when that went down....he was a internet bully/jerk at first on here ....but turned out to be a ok guy...
JL

Post by JL »

Yeah! He finally grew up! Was kinda nice to see to see a grown man mature before your own eyes on the internet!
Pat

Post by Pat »

Wow, reading through those links was a great trip down memory lane! I guess it is actually coming up on 27 years or more. So many names I had not thought about for a while. And some I am still in touch with on a regular basis. I went from an avid semi-rookie, to a pro-Am fisherman, to losing interest and playing with cars and now back to an avid fisherman again. Full circle. And now even my wife is fishing with me. I think we owe a lot to this site and some others like the old Bass Fishing Home Page (BFHP) where I met so many friends and went to my first Rally@Fork with sTony and TC and we decided we needed to do a Western Rally. Had people come to Clear Lake from all over the country.

Thanks Mark for finding all those threads!

C ya, Pat
stickbait

Post by stickbait »

Pat wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 11:48 am Wow, reading through those links was a great trip down memory lane! I guess it is actually coming up on 27 years or more. So many names I had not thought about for a while. And some I am still in touch with on a regular basis. I went from an avid semi-rookie, to a pro-Am fisherman, to losing interest and playing with cars and now back to an avid fisherman again. Full circle. And now even my wife is fishing with me. I think we owe a lot to this site and some others like the old Bass Fishing Home Page (BFHP) where I met so many friends and went to my first Rally@Fork with sTony and TC and we decided we needed to do a Western Rally. Had people come to Clear Lake from all over the country.

Thanks Mark for finding all those threads!

C ya, Pat
I think it was TC son that caught the 14 plus out of my boat..... I can't find any pics of it...what a monster. Wrecked the kid for life ! lol
Wolfeman

Post by Wolfeman »

I was looking through some old boxes and found a bunch of rally pins. Good times.
- Wolfeman
"Don't take life too seriously. You're not getting out alive." Bugs Bunny
Pat

Post by Pat »

Speaking of how it started, how did the name "Nutcase Classic" come about? A discussions started on NCBF about the best winter baits on the Delta. Cooch, of course, said it was a jig. Micster said it was a rattle trap. A challenge was thrown down and the question of when was raised. Someone suggested New Years Day, a Thursday, but too many folks had other plans. Someone else said only a nutcase would go out to fish the Delta in January. Then it was Micster who said "let's do it on Saturday and have us a 'Nutcase Classic'." At that point we became Nutcases. :D They Rally@ started on BFHP with the first Rally@Fork held at Lake Fork in Texas. When we held our first big event at Clear Lake, inviting people from everywhere, the names were combined. When we did our Clear Lake Nutcase Reunion a couple years ago, I like that is was a much more laid back, casual event in the tradition of the first ones.
Scott L

Post by Scott L »

Reading through the linked thread from 2006 sure brought back memories. Very different world back in the late '90's. IIRC Matt Allen was on the forum as SuperMatt and obviously much younger. I think I was also.

Jerry W. was so helpful to guys heading to Shasta, he met my family when we were heading out of the marina in our houseboat and Triton. Later he came by around 11:00 PM to take me night fishing. Great time.

Only fished one Nutcase rally Dec 30, 2000 at McClure (not even sure that is the correct pond). My 8.5 month pregnant wife and Australian Shep. joined me. Remember flying across the lake at blast off. I was yelling at the dog to get down and I thought my wife was joining me in the same. She was yelling to slow down. The pounding was killing her belly. Who knew? Never hear the end of that and she caught the only two fish dragging a carolina rig. Our daughter was born three weeks later and is now 21 :shock:

Was active in Castro Valley Bass for a few years at the same time.