Battery charger ( ranger)

bayscotter

Battery charger ( ranger)

Post by bayscotter »

I have a dual pro onboard battery changer with 5 led red lights when charging. The lights will turn off one by one leaving the final light green indicating a full charge. My problem is both set of lights stay on leaving 3 illuminated. The charger has been pluged in for an extended period. Am i not getting a full charge?
TDawg

Re: Battery charger ( ranger)

Post by TDawg »

Those chargers are pretty bullet proof and should go green once fully charged. How old are the batteries? If they are fairly new it could be the charger. Otherwise if the batteries are old or have been sitting uncharged for a long period of time it might take them awhile to come up to full. Check the water level too, they need to be all the way full with distilled water. Also, if you have a volt meter check how many volt the batteries have. Each should be at 12 volts +/- a couple milli volts. If they are not at +/- 12 volts give the charger a day or two to fully charge them. After that check them again and see what they are at. If they are still not up its probably the charger. Google dull pro chargers and give them a call and they can direct you further. I believe those charges can be fixed or rebuilt by them. Hope this helps.

Good fishing,

TDawg
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

sounds like a bad battery or a bad connection. Clean your connections, fill your batterys and try again. You may have to take them out and have them tested at Kragen or Nappa or some other battery place.
2007 "Numb Nut"

Ranger Boats-Mercury Motors
Minnkota Ultrex -TRP Batterys
Raymarine - Troll Bridge
Gloomis - Shimano
Pepper Jigs - Robo Worms
bayscotter

Post by bayscotter »

Thanks, quik fix with the distilled water. On a side note, there is a slight gurgeling/bubbling sound comming from the batteries. Also they get warm while charging. Is this normal?
Brian Linehan

Post by Brian Linehan »

Totally normal. I run Optima's now and don't have to add water, but I remember hearing that when I ran batts like yours.
MIKE TREMONT

Post by MIKE TREMONT »

Well I can't pass up an opportunity to pass on my battery charger issues. I'm on #4 and the boat is just about 10 years old.

#1 A Duo Pro that came with the new boat. One of the banks burned up just after 3 years. They were willing to help, but it wasn't worth the cost.

#2 I got a Pro Mariner and changed all 3 batts. I liked the fact that it only put out 6 amps per bank. I know a little about batteries and I don't need all the power that some do (or think they do). This one also lasted a little more than 3 years and then took a dump. Someone offered a suggestion that since I was keeping the chargers plugged in (as they are designed to do), that possibly one or more of the batts went bad, and the charger would keep trying to charge a batt that would not reach a full charge, hence burning it out?

Sounded reasonable, so I changed all 3 batts again. Pro Mariner gave me a great deal on another charger and I tried again! This time I charged the batts until I got a green light and then unplugged the charger. Worked great, for about three years! This last one was actually boiling my batts. I got in touch with their technical support and they gave me the specs as to what the outputs should be and for how long. This last charger was putting out around 30 volts!

A little heat and a soft boil is normal, but I would check the output of your charger.

So I just got a new Duo Pro. I actually am going to install it tomorrow. Anyone want to place a wager on how long this one will last :evil: ?
I had to come back...I know...
Mike Thomas

Post by Mike Thomas »

MIKE TREMONT wrote:Well I can't pass up an opportunity to pass on my battery charger issues. I'm on #4 and the boat is just about 10 years old.

#1 A Duo Pro that came with the new boat. One of the banks burned up just after 3 years. They were willing to help, but it wasn't worth the cost.

#2 I got a Pro Mariner and changed all 3 batts. I liked the fact that it only put out 6 amps per bank. I know a little about batteries and I don't need all the power that some do (or think they do). This one also lasted a little more than 3 years and then took a dump. Someone offered a suggestion that since I was keeping the chargers plugged in (as they are designed to do), that possibly one or more of the batts went bad, and the charger would keep trying to charge a batt that would not reach a full charge, hence burning it out?

Sounded reasonable, so I changed all 3 batts again. Pro Mariner gave me a great deal on another charger and I tried again! This time I charged the batts until I got a green light and then unplugged the charger. Worked great, for about three years! This last one was actually boiling my batts. I got in touch with their technical support and they gave me the specs as to what the outputs should be and for how long. This last charger was putting out around 30 volts!

A little heat and a soft boil is normal, but I would check the output of your charger.

So I just got a new Duo Pro. I actually am going to install it tomorrow. Anyone want to place a wager on how long this one will last :evil: ?

Sounds like you've got the three year life span down to a science...... I'm not takin' that bet :) I've got a dual pro in mine that to the best of my knowledge has been there since '97. Still works fine..... hope it stays that way for a while longer. (fingers crossed)