Can those ultra spooky bass sunning themselves.....

photon

Can those ultra spooky bass sunning themselves.....

Post by photon »

...be caught? Was out on the delta saturday, and later in the afternoon came upon an area that had 4-5 pretty big fish (5# and better) sunning themselves. They were super spooky. Anyone have any tips on how these guys can be caught? We tried for a little bit. I tried casting way beyond them, and working a senko super slowly up to them, but even just my line over ther heads made them move away. They was just not interested. I wanted to go back the next morning and try, but couldn't get out. Would that be the most likely way to get em......go back in low light conditions?

Thanks,

PS. I'll give up the area to whoever give a tip that catches me one of those fish! HAR
Steve

I dont waste my time

Post by Steve »

Ive never been overly successful at catching those fish, although occassionally through the years I have hooked a few. Now, I just ignore them, take note of where they were, and return when the spawning ritual starts. Those fish should be spawning close by where you saw them.

Ive had others tell me to stay far away and cast, but I havent done it. And, Ive thought of returning in low conditions hoping to get a few bites, but have never done it.

Another thing, if a few are up sunning, others should be a little deeper and likely biting. The deeper ones are the ones I target.
Richie Hamilton

Re: Can those ultra spooky bass sunning themselves.....

Post by Richie Hamilton »

They can be caught with the right presentation but as you said they are not interested, I believe they heard you well before you saw them. The females will lock up even if they are not spooked as was the case last weekend I was in a little cove with enough fish to win any tournament and the female's would not bite even though they were actively spawning on their sides. If the water, sun and moon would have been right then the big girls would have gone. One of the most frustrating lessons learned for me ever!
Steve

hold on now

Post by Steve »

He was talking about fish sunning, the typical ritual prior to actual spawning (Ive always looked at the sunning thing as the extreme begining of the spawning time period). Richie, you are talking about fish actually spawning, in which case those fish usually are very easy to catch if you go about it correctly.

Dont mistake my response, theres a huge difference tween sunning and spawning. Sunning, Im outta there, fish on beds and/or spawning (yes, there is a difference), and Im not going anywhere as I know Im about to smash em.
Richie Hamilton

huh?

OKAY, I started to respond but time on the water will be your best teacher. Thanks for responding, Rich
smileee

Well, now

Post by smileee »

the master at getting these fish to bite is Wayne Breazle (Clear Lake), I actually fished with him and he gave me several lessons on sight fishing and how to actually get lockjaw bass to take the bite - you have to have more patience than the fish and just continue to switch bait until you find one that will piss it off to suck it in.
I'm sure there are other masters at this but my only experience is with Wayne.

Smileee
> He was talking about fish sunning, the
> typical ritual prior to actual spawning (Ive
> always looked at the sunning thing as the
> extreme begining of the spawning time
> period). Richie, you are talking about fish
> actually spawning, in which case those fish
> usually are very easy to catch if you go
> about it correctly.

> Dont mistake my response, theres a huge
> difference tween sunning and spawning.
> Sunning, Im outta there, fish on beds and/or
> spawning (yes, there is a difference), and
> Im not going anywhere as I know Im about to
> smash em.
Cooch

They can be caught!

Post by Cooch »

We saw fish like this on Friday and Saturday on the river. And we wuz able ta catch a few of them, Fridays fish were smaller bucks, but on Sunday, we found a group of big girls and got em ta eat, the action was fast and furious, and over as soon as it started.

Two keys to catching them, they MUST see your bait, before they know yer there. In our case, I never even saw the fish, I heard em, saw the bluegills jammin around a dock and then noticed all the swirls over the back corner. I could see the small fish sunning on the bank, I knew the bigger girls were close, I was just patient, stealthy and waited for them to exposed themselves.

The second key is yer bait. You need a very lightweight weightless worm, about 5-6" long and in a very translucent, soft color. For me on this day, it was a series 9 Senko, in a color I'll refrain from sharing publically at this time.

If I could see the fish, I could not get those fish to trigger. If I tossed my standard Senko in 021, 208 or 222, they would sink out of sight. It was very tricky and precise, as the fish were very spooky once they saw us.

Shoot me an e-mail Photon, we can talk more on exactly when we is gonna meet at this spot and I'll share a couple of these special colored Senkos with ya! And you can have the first cast, better not miss, the Hoover is clickin on all cylinders! HAR!

Cooch
Richie Hamilton

Re: They can be caught!

exactly what I read from martens (havasu) and saw Jimmy reese doing @ clear lake. Once they hear or see you prior to the bait in the water makes it a tough time. Ole cooch remembers me asking him how to catch those 5 10 pound plus females "sunning" in the trees at Pedro last year. I call it "thumming" as those beehotches know I am there and they can see the drool out of the corner of my mouth. When you run upon them during tournament hours at crunchtime it is too late to back off in a stealth mode and yes they move up like andy said like locust, one minute they are on the bank!
CV

Re: They can be caught!

Post by CV »

Yeah! The "Hover" cleaned out the water I was fishin in last weeks tournament! I'm thinkin' "is it possible that all the big fish in here turned off at the same time??". Can the trick worm really shut off this bad??
Then I see Cooch gettin' all excited in front of me in the water I was workin (way ahead of me in this case). Guess I neded to pick another pocket! ;-)
Cooch

Ya know, I thought it was odd......

Post by Cooch »

and had ta laugh at the guy up on the dock who told ya I told him we wuz having the worst day of my life on the river! That was too funny, All I said to him was, we just got here and haven't been bit. I only fished that little point, then over to the corner and found that same pattern going in there you and I talked about last year.

The odd part was, once I saw and talked to you, we motored out of that corner and left it for you. We went back to catching the little guys and were waiting and watching for you, you never came out of that back corner and took advantage of those good docks! Kane & I contemplated going back, but I said no, we'll leave em fer Chris, he's fishing that Angler's event. About 30 minutes later, that other boat that swung through there came out, I asked if he saw ya, he said you wuz burried in the back tossing swimbaits! I'm sorry I put ya in such a tailspin ya thought ya was still on Pedro! HAR! HAR! HAR!

Cooch
CV

Re: Ya know, I thought it was odd......

Post by CV »

Brother, if that stupid (genius) bass that was back there ate, we would have looked a whole lot better!!!
It didn't matter if you were in there or not, I was gunna suck this one up anyway, you know how it goes sometimes..

I did think that was odd what that guy told us, I figured you would have good things going no matter what and you did!

Still a fun tournament, we caught probably over 50 fish that second day, only problem was they were all babies!

Pedro this weekend!! YEEEHAAAAA!!!!
Cooch

I believe....

Post by Cooch »

it was the Corona's talking HAR! HAR! HAR!

Cooch