Congratulations Mike & Jesse Austin

John Barron

Congratulations Mike & Jesse Austin

Post by John Barron »

For winning the first Top Stick Teams event at Piru with over 13 pound. full details soon
jb
Skeeter Boats
Cousins Fishing Tackle
Ardent Outdoors
Robo Worms
Revenge Baits
Tackle Warehouse
Trapper Tackle
Drifterz Elite Fishing Apparel
Peregrine 250 Boat Cleanung Products
Jesse Austin

Re: Congratulations Mike & Jesse Austin

Post by Jesse Austin »

First off. Thank you to Ray Leyerly, John Barron and all the Top Stick staff. If anyone wants to fish a fun, professionally ran, low cost tournament trial. You have to come out and give this organization a try. It’s a big difference from some of the other tournaments my dad and I have fished. We had only fished the lake once about a week and half before the tournament, we found fish to be holding at a certain depth. We couldn’t catch them any shallower or deeper than this depth. So we hoped this would hold up on tournament day with some adjusting of course. The morning started off with my dad catching a fish on his 1st cast. We both said to each other “uh oh” that could be a curse. Then he threw back in the same exact spot and caught one on his 2nd cast. Great start I guess. He went on to catch a limit by himself by about 8am. Then the weather started to kick in. Wow, I have never fished in weather like that. Hail, Sleet, Snow, Rain we got it all. We made a couple moves to similar structure around the lake as it fished small due to the water levels. I finally started catching fish after making 2 small adjustments. Began to cull for the rest of day. At one point, I was ready to throw in the towel as my gloves were soaked my hands were frozen to the point I was worried about getting frost bite. I actually had to stop fishing for short periods of time to warm them back up. Then at the end of the day the wind was blowing right into this rocky bank starting to produce a nice mudline. With about 20 minutes left I threw in the mudline, rod got a little heavy…set the hook, and that was where big fish of the day came from. All in all we caught about 12 fish total for the day. We learned a lot and had fun. What else could you ask for? Thanks again to Top Stick and everyone who fished. Take it easy!