Stratos278

Delta Water Hyacinth control evaluation

Post by Stratos278 »

Jim C.
"Rip Some Lips!!!!"
mark poulson

Re: Delta Water Hyacinth control evaluation

Post by mark poulson »

I just posted a question on that site, asking what the effect of the chemicals they are using is on the tulles, which are much thinner this year than at the same time last year.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
Kentuck

Post by Kentuck »

Wonder if they are going to do anything about the primrose?
Cooch

Post by Cooch »

Kentuck,

I spoke last week to one of the head spraying crew, a gentleman I've known fer many years and bowled with. Their focus indeed is on the Hyacinth, yet there is discussions being had by their department heads and biologists to look at implementing a program to attack the Duck Weed, Pondweed, primrose and Perrywinkle, all of which are native to the Delta, yet have been on the "no Spray" list during past years. Problem with this stuff, especially the Pondweed and duck weeds, their roots go down to the bottom, they are not just a surface dweller like the Hyacinth and Perry winkle. There are years of tangle root mass below these canopies in most areas and it's going to be very difficult to attack and control. Good thing is, they recognize the wide spread problem and for the first time are talking about controlling it.

As fer Mark's question, I think it's a two fold problem killing the tulles. It does appear that the pesticides they have used the past couple of years, is also taking out the tulles. But it could also be a combination of all these variant surface plants now growing out of control, are choking off the tulles as well. We'll see and hope to hear some form of response from them in time regarding the new issues they are presented with in controlling the Hyacinth and other plants now choking off major spawning areas, sloughs, coves and Marinas..
DaLa

Post by DaLa »

I believe the active spraying I witnessed on Saturday morning shut the bite down. (fished down south) Where I could find areas that were obviously not recently sprayed we would get bit. If signs of spraying were present in the immediate area, than there seemed to be no fish present.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Saw them letting lose something in Frank's couple of weeks ago. Anyone know what they're "controlling" in there? Was going back and forth on the northeast side that day, certainly not spraying...
DeltaBassBuster

Post by DeltaBassBuster »

I take my walks almost daily to 14 Mile Slough behind the Brookside homes and witnessed at least 3 different types of spraying and also air blowing pellets back here all the way back to the bridge. In my opinion they are trying to kill every thing floating or submerged. The quality of fishing has not been the same this year.
Kentuck

Post by Kentuck »

Thanks Cooch.
Bass hack

Post by Bass hack »

In 7 mile slough, some areas between the dams is being sprayed . They have been putting up colored markers on the levy and spraying 20ft x 20 ft squares in between the colored markers. Looks like they are testing something. in some squares the hyacinth is dead, and in others not so dead.
Also to note, I have 'heard' they are testing weed killers in 7 mile slough off the San Joaquin and there are DEFINITELY less weeds in there from years past. I am unsure of how it is affecting the 'bite' though. Seems like fish are still being caught there (maybe at a mildly lower rate than years past) and I have not seen any dead fish floating around.
Roscoe

Post by Roscoe »

I always had this idea in my head when I met a old goat farmer pitch forking hyathian into his Toyota pickup. I asked him what's he doing with all that and he said his goats loves that stuff and it's good for them. So I thought would it be possible to put the hyathian on a type of barge and ship it out to dry and then chop it like silage corn and use it to feed farm animals? Idk if it's possible but if it's nutritional for farm animals thrm maybe there's a positive direction we can go and make something good out of a bad problem. Just a thought.
Cooch

Post by Cooch »

I too guys, have seen a lot more activity on the River the past 3 months by various crews in vessels not quite like the air boats we're used to seeing as they spray. Many I believe are study boats, going back and forth in areas surveying the problems. Some may very well be testing new control vehicles and substances. We've also noticed a lot more of these solar powered water tester poles all over the river system. We can only hope this all ties in to water quality and weed control on the delta. Heaven ferbid it's a smoke screen for the bad guys looking to rape more water from the Delta! There is definitely a lot more going on out on the river right now, than what we truly know about. Stop in and ask these guys when ya see em, we have fer too long just looked the other way!
Rob

Post by Rob »

I just can't help but think all the weed "control", creel limit propositions etc are just more build up to the stealing of water for So Cal.
Rob

Post by Rob »

I just can't help but think all the weed "control", creel limit propositions etc are just more build up to the stealing of water for So Cal.
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Cooch wrote:I too guys, have seen a lot more activity on the River the past 3 months by various crews in vessels not quite like the air boats we're used to seeing as they spray. Many I believe are study boats, going back and forth in areas surveying the problems. Some may very well be testing new control vehicles and substances. We've also noticed a lot more of these solar powered water tester poles all over the river system. We can only hope this all ties in to water quality and weed control on the delta. Heaven ferbid it's a smoke screen for the bad guys looking to rape more water from the Delta! There is definitely a lot more going on out on the river right now, than what we truly know about. Stop in and ask these guys when ya see em, we have fer too long just looked the other way!
Two weeks ago I saw two people in an airboat doing a 5 mph cruise in Little Franks and Piper Slough, just looking.
Last week we fished there, and the hyacinth looked fine.
This week that same hyacinth looks pale and wilted.
Whatever they are spraying works really fast. I hope it doesn't kill everything. So far, only the hyacinth seems to be dying.
Fingers crossed!
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY