Elites fastest route to the Delta

mark poulson

Elites fastest route to the Delta

Post by mark poulson »

So what will be the fastest route for the Elites to take from Sacramento to Frank's Tract?
I see it takes at least an hour to drive, but how long will it take them to motor?
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
CoastieWess

Re: Elites fastest route to the Delta

Post by CoastieWess »

I transit these waters everyday for work and unless they open up the Walnut Grove lock that leads to the North Mokuleme then the fastest route will be Sac River to Miner Slough to Sac Deep Water Channel to 3 mile slough to San Juaquin.
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Thanks.
They sure have a windy route to travel.
Forgive my ignorance, but I've never made that run.
Why wouldn't they take the Sac Deep Water Channel directly to 3 Mile Slough?
CLEAN AND DRY
CoastieWess

Post by CoastieWess »

The Sac Deep Water Channel is closed to the Old Sac River in Sacramento. Back many years ago I was told by some old sticks that it used to be opened and it made it much easier, safer, and faster to get south.
fishwithron2

Post by fishwithron2 »

The gate to the deep water channel is rite by Miller park and is closed. If open, you could go thru it into Sac port and into the deep water ch which is all open with no marina along the way. it takes you all the way to Rio Vista which is the Sacramento River. From there you cut across 7 mile sl past Brannan Park into San Joaquin hit False river which takes you to Franks Tract. A long winding trip and not many gas stops along the way. .
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

CoastieWess wrote:The Sac Deep Water Channel is closed to the Old Sac River in Sacramento. Back many years ago I was told by some old sticks that it used to be opened and it made it much easier, safer, and faster to get south.
Is there a chance that B.A.S.S. will get it opened for their event?
CLEAN AND DRY
bassrman

Post by bassrman »

check it out on google earth " it's blocked solid ' years ago'I was able to make it up a tiny creek that ran thru the gravel bar' it opened up into a little pond beneath the lock' it was full of small largemouth' had a blast catching em off the gates of the lock!, the lock looked to be in great shape ?. I don't know why they don't keep it dredged out and operational ?...
Chad LeBlanc

Post by Chad LeBlanc »

Whats the drive time gonna be??? Will the Elite guys have to fill their boats up on the way back???

Chad
Kentuck

Post by Kentuck »

The Elites are not going to be happy with this one. Still can't beleive they agreed to run a "Delta" event out of Sacarmento. The city must really be paying them some dough.
whazup

Post by whazup »

Agree Kentuck. BASS has made some curious decisions re tourns. Their "Super Bowl" in the dead of winter? Northern venues that are practically unfishable at the times they occur. They claim to want to promote the sport, but they are their own worst enemy.
Fish Laugh at the Mention of My Name
bassrman

Post by bassrman »

isn't Stockton "bankrupt"?....I don't think there is any town around the delta that can afford to pay BASS what they want $$$...
reddog

Post by reddog »

Promotions are the key to a successful event and I'd have to say this one is not promoted well. There's really no info about when and where and while I agree that there is a fine facility to hold the event in Sacramento it seems as though BASS would have been better off to try and send some folks out ahead of time and ask to use some farm land for boat parking and prep, pay security to watch over their gear, and launch closer to the area these guys are most likely to fish. If you want people to watch it has to hit home with viewers. The best way to do that is to show pros fishing the same places you can fish that way it seems more realistic rather than just fantasy. The travel time is going to hurt their ability to spend time fishing! I guess thats why I'm enjoying the MLF circuit so much those guys are catching 1.5#'ers and winning!!!, HEY WAIT A MINUTE????? THOSE ARE MY FISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
sy

Post by sy »

Don't be surprised if some turn right and go up the Sac to Verona, skinny water that hold fish up there. Or the upper Cache Slough area. If the locks are closed, staight down the Sac to Rio Vista area to 3 Mile to False river area. Steamboat has too many 5 mph area plus a ferry crossing, Georgiana Slough is a mile long 5 mph at Walnut Grove.
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

bassrman wrote:isn't Stockton "bankrupt"?....I don't think there is any town around the delta that can afford to pay BASS what they want $$$...
I wonder just how much the taxpayers in Sacramento are paying for the privilege of watching the anglers leave and return eight hours later?
CLEAN AND DRY
bassrman

Post by bassrman »

I have caught good fish in Verona & Sac sloughs ! but the water is way to low this year ! & they wouldn't hold up for 4 days anyway ! they used to get big sacks outta Verona " but the Hmongs keep it picked pretty clean !
whazup

Post by whazup »

Dear BASS, forget fishing, what we want to see is a boat race. There is so much to learn about fishing while watching boats at WOT for 3 - 4 hours a day. Suspend the "no trolling" rule and let them drag a lure at 80 MPH. Could revolutionize bass fishing.
CoastieWess

Post by CoastieWess »

Yah know, while I agree that there's going to be a ton of running around. The trip south isn't to much further then the trip they were making on the Sabine.
Either way I'm excited for it, especially since I get to marshal for a couple days.
Chomsky

Post by Chomsky »

Spoke to one of the pros tonight at a local hotel. He said he has not even made a dry run and not sure where he's getting gas to get back. His concern is mainly the approx 4 hours fishing time by running out to the Delta.

This tournament is going to be an injustice to the contestants not being able to show us what they can do. Especially coming all this way. I too would love to see them with 8 hours of fishing time. I wouldn't be surprised allot of guys don't bring in 5 bass.
CoastieWess

Post by CoastieWess »

You know I was hoping to see a ton of fishing too, but these guys are the best of the best so they should have to work for it a little bit. Look how Mike McClelland did at Sabine and he was lucky if he got 3 hours of fishing time in. Dude was traveling 110 miles each way. That's dedication and the trip from Discovery Park to the Delta is way less then 110 miles.

Lastly, look at it this way. These guys are going to expose some areas that most haven't fished because they didn't want to make a run from Russo's. I'm pretty sure I know which area this tournament will be won in and it doesn't require entering he San Joaquin River.
Goin'Ike

Post by Goin'Ike »

bassrman wrote:I have caught good fish in Verona & Sac sloughs ! but the water is way to low this year ! & they wouldn't hold up for 4 days anyway ! they used to get big sacks outta Verona " but the Hmongs keep it picked pretty clean !
This is a bit racist dude. Don't point out an individual nationality. I saw all races take fish home. I personal don't due to my love and conservation of ours sport and hobby. I was hoping Fish and Game change the size limit to 15-16" because 12" is too much of baby. Oh well, keep it legal and take what you gonna eat only.
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Goin'Ike wrote:
bassrman wrote:I have caught good fish in Verona & Sac sloughs ! but the water is way to low this year ! & they wouldn't hold up for 4 days anyway ! they used to get big sacks outta Verona " but the Hmongs keep it picked pretty clean !
This is a bit racist dude. Don't point out an individual nationality. I saw all races take fish home. I personal don't due to my love and conservation of ours sport and hobby. I was hoping Fish and Game change the size limit to 15-16" because 12" is too much of baby. Oh well, keep it legal and take what you gonna eat only.
Well said.
CLEAN AND DRY
BassBandit916

Post by BassBandit916 »

That was a low blow man...not cool

Think before you talk or type i should say
bassrman

Post by bassrman »

Oh " so sorry ! I meant to say "Gillnetters" !.....
crawdaddy

Post by crawdaddy »

What was racist about what he said? If he observed Hmong fishermen catching and keeping fish in that area than that is called an observation. He did not say they keep fish because they are Hmong and all Hmong keep fish or something like that, that was the message YOU took from what he said. And that would be a racist thought.
I would rather jog home from my own Vasectomy than spend Saturday at the mall.
whazup

Post by whazup »

Hear, hear Crawdaddy. I took it like you did. PC gets nutty sometimes. Can't use facts.....
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

If he would have said F'ing shore anglers/meat fishermen, if that's what he meant, we would have all agreed, no question.
But singling out the Hmong, assuming he can differentiate between Asian people at a distance, did come off as an attack on the Hmong.
I've found that, while recent immigrants from other countries do bring their own practices with them when they come here, that is because of where they came from, not because they are bad people.
If people are sensitive about race, it is because there is still a lot of racism in this country. We are working hard to eliminate it, but it is tough sledding, because it is so deeply entrenched in our minds.
I know. I fight it in myself all the time.
CLEAN AND DRY