Fall Fishing on Lake CDA

ttb31183

Fall Fishing on Lake CDA

Post by ttb31183 »

I could skip the whole season and jump to right now. This time of year, late October and early November, in the Northwest is some of the best fishing I have ever witnessed. The big smallmouth and largemouth are feeding and I would choose this time of year over the pre-spawn, spawn or any other time of year.

I was out Monday and the largemouth and smallmouth were biting just about everything. We caught them on jerkbaits, spinnerbaits, swimbaits as well as finesse stuff like drop-shot and Ned Rigs. It really is just about however you want to catch them if you can find them first.

My strategy this time of year is to run as many rocky points and big structure like bridges for the smallies and focus on wood for the largemouth. It seems to work out pretty well.

I'll be out there again this Sunday for a tournament and expect just about everyone to have a few dandy fish in their bags. It should be a good one.
Tyler Brinks
Bassfishman

Re: Fall Fishing on Lake CDA

Post by Bassfishman »

In 1970, the summer I turned 16, I spent a month in CDA with my grandfather. He retired there and lived on the lake not too far from the sawmill (wish I had that house). We fished for his favorite fish - he called them Bluebacks. I think they are a kokanee salmon species. We caught them trolling little spinners with white corn on the hooks. My grandfather loved to have them smoked. We never fished for bass though even though I fished for bass all the time in SoCal where I lived. I never thought there was any bass in the lake there.

Just curious, are LM and SM bass relatively new to CDA or have they been there for ever? Its a beautiful lake. Sometime I will have to come back and give it a go.
ttb31183

Re: Fall Fishing on Lake CDA

Post by ttb31183 »

Bassfishman wrote:In 1970, the summer I turned 16, I spent a month in CDA with my grandfather. He retired there and lived on the lake not too far from the sawmill (wish I had that house). We fished for his favorite fish - he called them Bluebacks. I think they are a kokanee salmon species. We caught them trolling little spinners with white corn on the hooks. My grandfather loved to have them smoked. We never fished for bass though even though I fished for bass all the time in SoCal where I lived. I never thought there was any bass in the lake there.

Just curious, are LM and SM bass relatively new to CDA or have they been there for ever? Its a beautiful lake. Sometime I will have to come back and give it a go.
I am honestly not sure how long they have been there. I do know the largemouth used to be much more prominent and smallmouth have taken over in numbers over the past 20 years or so. You are right...it is very beautiful. Those kokanee you caught then are still there and part of the reason the bass are so big there.
Tyler Brinks