Fishing CA Delta August 22

AKBASSFISHING

Fishing CA Delta August 22

Post by AKBASSFISHING »

California Delta 8/22/2018
Water Temp 69 -71
Visibility 1 – 3 feet
Wind 9 - 15 mph

It’s been a while since I was on here. A recent issue with our electric motor has set us back a few weeks. That said, we got desperate and launched the boat without our electric motor. A short trip of drifting and fighting the wind.

We put in around 11 in the morning. The tide was incoming, and we had our usual western wind. Water clarity was mixed, with pockets of clear and dirty water.

We made a quick run to an expansive flat. The tide was rolling over it nicely, so I opted for a white and chartreuse tail swimbait. Fan casting the flat, we had a few bumps, but no takers. I switched to a glide-bait and started to work it erratically. About 10 minutes in, I had a good striper rise on my bait, but missed it.

With no other action on the flat, we made another move to a sheltered bay. Within the bay, tullie points spanned far from the shore. Casting swimbaits at the tullies, we managed a few decent stripers with the best going about 13 pounds. Surprisingly, we also located a good school of healthy black bass mixed in with the stripers.

By 1, our bite slowed. Knowing the stripers were in the area, we moved offshore. Targeting the furthest out weedlines, we located schools of stripers. Nothing big, but enough to put a bend in our rods. Action was good enough for a couple doubles as well. Again, the swimbaits caused the majority of our damage.

By 3 in the afternoon, we called it a day. Overall, the bite was ok, especially since we were drifting. It took some time to find the fish, but when we did, the schools were aggressively feeding.

Notes

When fishing swimbaits for stripers, I notice that stripers tend to hit or slap your bait. When you feel a hit, keep reeling; when your rod loads, swing.

White with chartreuse tails and plain white swimbaits did all the damage today.

Fishing the glide bait erratically was key to getting the fish to react. A slow retrieve, like we so often do for bass, will not cut it. Fast retrieves, mixed with pauses and rod twitches were important for getting the stripers to react to the bait.
Attachments
20180813_122427_HDR.jpg
20180813_113625_HDR.jpg
monte300

Re: Fishing CA Delta August 22

Post by monte300 »

I give you credit for even making an attempt without your trolling motor. Most times when my electric fails I put the boat on the trailer and go home.
AKBASSFISHING

Re: Fishing CA Delta August 22

Post by AKBASSFISHING »

monte300 wrote:I give you credit for even making an attempt without your trolling motor. Most times when my electric fails I put the boat on the trailer and go home.
Wasn't easy to say the least haha!