Fishing CA Delta May 8

AKBASSFISHING

Fishing CA Delta May 8

Post by AKBASSFISHING »

California Delta 5/8/18
Water Temp 68 – 71 Degrees
Visibility 1 – 4 Feet
Wind 10 - 20 mph

Put in at around 8:30 in the morning. Conditions were calm, but the wind was forecast to blow (and that it did).

With the tide still fairly low, we tried our luck at punching. The first few spots only yielded a few bumps, but no takers. As the wind started to pick up, so did the bite. I was initially using a ¾ oz tungsten to get through the mats, but the mats were much thicker. My father who was using a 1.5 oz tungsten had a much easier time getting through and getting more bites. I switched over, and managed to finally stick a few fatties.

With the wind getting stronger, we moved over to some rocks and had some good luck on craw pattern cranks. All 1 to 2 pound fish, but surprisingly fat and healthy looking fish.

By noon, with sun high in the sky, the wind blowing hard, and the fish in a negative mood, it was hard to get bit. Then our luck changed.

Attempting to hide from the wind, we tucked up in a shallow cove. I punched for a bit, but had no takers. Then I noticed a large female sunning herself. I switched to my glide bait (one that I recently painted) and cast past her position. I retrieved the bait to her position and killed it. Her fins flared and she inhaled the bait. I set hook and had her on for about ten seconds, before she came off. Disappointed, we continued down the bank, but I had a nagging feeling that I should return. So I did, and cast in the same exact spot. BOOM! Fish on again! It was her, but this time she was hooked good. We got her in the boat, took a few pics, got a weight (7.2 lb), and let her go.

With the wind howling now, we called it quits.

Notes

Punching, and cranks got the majority of our fish today.

As for the glide bait, straight retrieves will get you tons of followers (although some will eat it like that). If you want to cut down on followers, vary the retrieve. The one that works the best for me, is a steady retrieve, pause, and then two small rod twitches. Repeat until you are finished with your cast.
Attachments
20180508_140546_HDR-1.jpg
dreamchaser2

Re: Fishing CA Delta May 8

Post by dreamchaser2 »

Congrats! Love reading your posts when i'm stuck in the office!
Hunting large mouths on crystal clear reservoirs on dobyns and tatula!
THE DR

Post by THE DR »

Great report. Love the custom Waver. Is that a shiner or babybass pattern you're going for?
AKBASSFISHING

Post by AKBASSFISHING »

THE DR wrote:Great report. Love the custom Waver. Is that a shiner or babybass pattern you're going for?
I tried to make a shiner.
Nevadabassin

Post by Nevadabassin »

Great post nice fish