Fishing Etiquette - How Close is Too Close?

Pat

Fishing Etiquette - How Close is Too Close?

Post by Pat »

I am not talking about tournaments, or crowded lakes, just casual fun fishing. On two consecutive trips we have had another boat pull in front of us as we were fishing down a bank. First time we we were fishing up in the river of a local lake. A boat with 3 young guys pulls onto the bank about 30 yards in front of us. I waited a minute and called out to them, they were close enough I did not need to yell. "Are you really going to pull right in front of us?" Some animated discussion ensued and they picked up and moved over to the other side of the river. My partner and I both called out "Thank You." Then yesterday we are fishing at Lake Oroville approaching a point inside a cove. Here comes another bass boat with 5 people in it and pulls up on the point right in front of us and they start fishing. I kicked the trolling motor on high and we go around them. My partner politely starts a conversation and makes a comment about fishing etiguette and we fish on down the bank. Understand that our lakes are full to the top right now, they were not crowded in either case. There were plenty of places to fish. On both days my partner and I turned away from places where we could see another boat fishing or approaching.

What do you consider proper etiquette? Were we wrong, or rude, to say something to the other fishermen?

Pat
Last edited by Pat on Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Burke

Re: Fishing Etiquette - How Close is Too Close?

Post by Burke »

My answer may differ from other people. I'm a casual fisherman. I try to not go out when I know there's a tournament going on. If I reach a spot where someone is fishing, I leave a buffer roughly 100 yards.

I've had similar situations where someone "poached" the bank I was fishing. A boat pulled WITHIN 50 ft of the front of our boat as we were approaching a point. I wasn't nice about it!! I was cranking a Rat L Trap and "accidentally" bounced the lure off the stern of their boat near the waterline. They weren't happy, but I told them that they were lucky I didn't "accidentally" hit them. I had Owner 4x hooks on the lure. They left.
coyote268

Post by coyote268 »

If you want to experience real jerks, try Clear Lake. I could write a book about this.
Jboutfishn

Post by Jboutfishn »

While landing a nice spot on Shasta I had a jerk run between me and the shore, about 50 feet. I personally stay 100 yards away from other boats.
On the other hand I have had other fisherman offer to help load my boat with the words let me help you '"Old Timer". Yea, I am an "old Guy", just not what I want to hear. :lol:
Rob

Post by Rob »

During the last Pro/am on the delta I was fishing a tule berm island with a narrow point for reference. I was within 1 boat length of the point and one of the “Pros” pulled right into the other side of the point. Literally 10 ft from me separated by a few tules. His partner said “there’s someone there” and he still pulled in and then started fishing and had the nerve to say “good morning”. Honestly I was just fun fishing and if he had asked I would absolutely have said “go for it”. Instead he got a nice little wake as I left. For reference they were two older guys so it’s not just young guys either. I normally will either just go around someone who pulls in front of me exactly the distance they pulled in front of me. If I see someone going down a bank I give 100+ yds or don’t fish. If it’s a small sweet spot they’re on it anyways.
WRB

Post by WRB »

The Golden Rule generally applies. No fixed rule for common sense or good sportsmanship. You will run across idiots whenever outdoors fishing or hunting. This problem has always occurred and with more people fishing the odds increase encountering rude boaters. Ignorance or simply don’t give a sh*t, don’t let others ruin your day on the water, there are some truly crazy people.
Tom
Last edited by WRB on Sun Jun 04, 2023 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
monte300

Post by monte300 »

Years ago on the Delta I pulled into a tule cove at the entrance of Franks coming from Holland cut. I put my motor in the water and started fishing. Next thing I know I see a guy with his boat parked in the back of the cove not fishing. He explained he was fishing a tournament, he already fished the cove and was letting the spot rest. He asked me if I minded leaving and since I was just fun fishing and he asked my so nicely, I pulled up my motor and left. One gets more bee’s with honey.
DanIsaac

Post by DanIsaac »

Exactly why I sold the boat and gave the sport up. Dan
ReelEx, your source for quality, professional service on your Shimano, Lews, or Revo reels.

Guaranteed 96 hr turnaround on service.
650-454-4938 http://www.reel-ex.com
DonkeysOnly

Post by DonkeysOnly »

At the end of the day the respect of bass fishing has gone to an all time low!! A lot of people have no respect for anyone anymore. I understand no one owns the water or spot/point/brush pile/rock pile ect… but if someone’s already there at that particular spot just leave and come back with todays technology no one’s spot is secret anymore… What is the point of prefishing for a tournament??? What is the point of have a blast off order??? I feel like tournament directors need to start changing rules and enforcing rules that’s the only way guys are gonna respect each other space on the water!!! Let’s get back to the basics fishing etiquette!!!
jiggin4bass

Post by jiggin4bass »

Sounds like some of you anglers have problems when other fisherman get within 30 or 40 yards of a spot your fishing. You'll get over it.
Home Of The Original Puffball Jig
Original Lion collar jig
Building and fishing custom bass jigs
since 1977
Madera Ca.
Favorite Lakes
Eastman
Hensley
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

DonkeysOnly wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 7:49 pm At the end of the day the respect of bass fishing has gone to an all time low!! A lot of people have no respect for anyone anymore. I understand no one owns the water or spot/point/brush pile/rock pile ect… but if someone’s already there at that particular spot just leave and come back with todays technology no one’s spot is secret anymore… What is the point of prefishing for a tournament??? What is the point of have a blast off order??? I feel like tournament directors need to start changing rules and enforcing rules that’s the only way guys are gonna respect each other space on the water!!! Let’s get back to the basics fishing etiquette!!!
This wasn't a tournament though and he specifically stated fun fishing with multiple people in the boat- what do you propose to change the rules to read and how would it be enforced? Most tournaments have an encroachment and sportsmanship rule. I have found the best thing to do is have a conversation on the water, I'm going this way. Hey I'm fishing this outside break line etc... like Pat did in his example. If driving courtesy is any indication of fishing courtesy we are screwed - people just may not know...
- JaJa Jigs - Get THUNKED
Links to Check Out -
https://www.instagram.com/jm_ash/
https://www.bestbasstournaments.com/
JVGondal

Post by JVGondal »

!
Last edited by JVGondal on Thu Jun 08, 2023 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

This comes up every so often that it's a shame it has to be posted again ! Most tournaments say 50 yrds, some say 2 boat lengths. I've always given at least 100 yrds. However, if some clown wants to cut me off, I just play "Leap Frog" with him until he gets the message. All that said, I can't count the times I've followed someone and caught fish where they had been fishing !! Actually, it happened just this last week-end in the AmBASSadors night tourney at Don Pedro. We fished the same water right behind a guy that cut us off and caught 3 less than 3 boat lengths from them !!!
2007 "Numb Nut"

Ranger Boats-Mercury Motors
Minnkota Ultrex -TRP Batterys
Raymarine - Troll Bridge
Gloomis - Shimano
Pepper Jigs - Robo Worms