Fishing New Hogan Lake This Week Dec 10

StanL

Post by StanL »

lake hogan fishing report.jpg

My ol’ buddy Ed Austin and I made a trip over to Hogan for the day. This lake always has a different feel than the other Mother Lode lakes around because of the stripers.

Ed has been a regular here since the 1970s so whenever I get a chance to fish with Ed I usually learn something and this day was no different.

When we were there we were seeing a lot of fish on my new Garmin Livescope in the bottom of Creek channels in about 35’ feet of water. I tried everything I could think of and then Ed pulled out a homemade 1/4oz deer hair jig (see the pic below) and started dragging it around. He schooled me on deep stripers. After a while of watching Ed catch stripers we decided to target largemouth.

We started fishing deep points off the main body we found them in about 40 to50‘. I was using a Bass Union football jig and Ed fished a dropshot with a 6” Weenie worm. We ended up catching 6 largemouth and 5 stripers.

The surface temperature was 56° and the water had about 6 to 10 visibility. One thing I learn was how line shy the stripers were. Ed used 10# Gamma fluorocarbon which surprised me. The largemouth were released but stripers got invited home for dinner.

Hope this helps
StanL
buck tail jig.jpg
Hogan.jpg