Folsom Highlights Teen with Goal to be a Pro Angler

WB Staff

Folsom Highlights Teen with Goal to be a Pro Angler

Post by WB Staff »

Westly Gritts has goal to become pro bass fisherman.jpg
Folsom Athlete of the Week Westly Gritts has goal to become pro bass fisherman

Matt Long

Born and raised in Folsom, Westly Gritts caught his first fish when he was 5 years old. Now at 16, Gritts has a goal and that’s to be a professional bass fisherman.

Gritts competed in the Won Bass California Open on Clear Lake July 22-24, and placed ninth overall on the amateur side of the competition. He caught 57.94 pounds of bass and his ninth-place finish earned him $1,000.

“I was first place after the second day and was hoping for a top-five finish, but I’m still happy to place ninth,” Gritts said.

Gritts, a member of the Vista del Lago High School Fishing Club, has competed in upwards of 10 bass fishing tournaments. His next tournament is in October on Lake Mead in Nevada.

Folsom Telegraph: What are your hopes for the future after you get out of school?
Westly Gritts: My goal is to become a Pro Bass Angler.

FT: Where do you live, what school do you attend and what grade are you in?
WG: I was born and raised here in Folsom and I'm in 11th grade at Feather River Charter School.

FT: Do sports run in your family?
WG: My brother played soccer for four years with the Folsom Soccer Club and my dad played baseball when he was growing up.

FT: How long have you been fishing and how did you get your start in it?
WG: I have been fishing for 11 years and my dad's friend, Rick Partlow, introduced me to it.

FT: What do you like about fishing?
WG: Everything! I like the challenge of catching fish.

Full story: https://goldcountrymedia.com/news/17588 ... fisherman/