frog rod that also throw medium swimbaits?

MikeD

frog rod that also throw medium swimbaits?

Post by MikeD »

is there a crucial that would double up and be soft enough on the tip to walk a frog as well as chuck 6" swimbaits?

I use the CRC-C72MH for frogs but it feels too light in the backbone, the flippin stick is too heavy/stiff at the tip. flippin stick also too stiff on the tip for medium swimbaits, it'll work but wanting to try looking at something else that will do both
"I'll just drop it on their head, and then rip their lips off with a TV hookset..." <i>unnamed angler when discussing how he fishes a jig</i>
bantam1

Re: frog rod that also throw medium swimbaits?

Post by bantam1 »

CRCX711MH will do both very well. I think its a prefect frog rod and it works well for 6" Huddlestons too.
MikeD

Post by MikeD »

interesting... I've got the CRCX-76MH flippin stick that I've tried but is just too stiff in the tip for walking a frog, too broomstick-like. it does throw the 7" AC minnow swimbait pretty good. is the 711MH softer at the tip?
"I'll just drop it on their head, and then rip their lips off with a TV hookset..." <i>unnamed angler when discussing how he fishes a jig</i>
bantam1

Post by bantam1 »

The 711 has a softer tip. I have used it to throw similar baits to the AC minnow and it performs well. The Rago Rat is a great bait to throw on this rod too :wink:
MikeD

Post by MikeD »

any pro staff in the CA Delta area that would have this model (and/or the swimbait rods) to try out?
bantam1

Post by bantam1 »

I think Dan Isaac might have a couple. He's in Foster City and I have no idea when he will be on the Delta.
DanIsaac

Post by DanIsaac »

Yep, that's the one you want. Works great for me.

Dan
ReelEx, your source for quality, professional service on your Shimano, Lews, or Revo reels.

Guaranteed 96 hr turnaround on service.
650-454-4938 http://www.reel-ex.com
MikeD

Post by MikeD »

bringing this one back to life - I never pulled the trigger on a dedicated frog rod last year so I thought I'd bring this topic back up.

I picked up a used CRCS-711XH ( throws the AC Minnow 7" rainbow great, took big fish money yesterday in Tracy Bass TOC with it) and tried the frog on it. While I wasn't expecting great things from such a stiff rod it was the height of the reel seat that gave me problems. I ended up with the butt end in my armpit constantly and it just wasn't comfortable at all. In looking at the CRCX-711MH it also has the same reel seat height (12" rear grip length) which is causing me to back away from the idea of buying one now.

searched the catalog - nothing with a 9 or 10" rear grip area seemed appropriate - am I out of luck?
bantam1

Post by bantam1 »

The 7'6 models have a shorter rear grip section. Personally I like the longer rear grip, but I have long arms. I also like to put the rod in my armpit for leverage.
MikeD

Post by MikeD »

bantam1 wrote:The 7'6 models have a shorter rear grip section. Personally I like the longer rear grip, but I have long arms. I also like to put the rod in my armpit for leverage.
those 7'6 are too heavy, just sold a CRC-X76MH

any other options you might suggest? does Shimano have any plans to do frog specific rod at some point in the future? I'd be happy to help provide development feedback... :)
bantam1

Post by bantam1 »

I am working on some new rods for later this year. One of them might make a killer frog rod. I will not get a chance to get on the water for another week. I'll test it then and see how it works.
MikeD

Post by MikeD »

just thought I'd check back in and see if there was anything more you could share about the new rods you mentioned last month.

always open to providing field testing feedback as well, would love to get involved with some product development
bantam1

Post by bantam1 »

The rods have been up on the Delta for the past week. Some good reports have come in from our pro staff. One of the rods will make a good frog rod, but not a rod for swimbaits.
DanIsaac

Post by DanIsaac »

NO, one of these rods will be an AWESOME frog rod, and it has the shorter butt length and the perfect tip for walking a frog. Could not believe how well it fished! Plus, It will make an awesome jig stick as well!

Coming to you at ICAST in July!

Dan
ReelEx, your source for quality, professional service on your Shimano, Lews, or Revo reels.

MikeD

Post by MikeD »

Great news. Then I'll hold off an purchasing till July when I can get a chance to check the rod out. If you can talk about it right now I'm wondering while line will the rod be part of? Crucial?
bantam1

Post by bantam1 »

The problem is I don't think I will get the prototypes back from the pro staff :lol:

I will post all the info here next month when ICAST starts.
DanIsaac

Post by DanIsaac »

bantam1 wrote:The problem is I don't think I will get the prototypes back from the pro staff :lol:

I will post all the info here next month when ICAST starts.

I think you would be right on that one! But we're still debating how we're going to divide!

Dan

bantam1

Post by bantam1 »

You could cut them in half and give Jr. the top section. :lol:
MikeD

Post by MikeD »

bantam1 wrote:I will post all the info here next month when ICAST starts.
ok, time to fess up
bantam1

Post by bantam1 »

The rods have been delayed until next year. We placed a huge demand on our factory for other rods.
ugly stick

Post by ugly stick »

My fav frog rod is the 76Heavy okuma swimbait rod. It will toss a frog A MILE and walk it no problem. Its all about the slack in the line. I REALLY like the 76Heavy crucial flip rod for frogs too. It walks them GREAT. Its all about having the right amount of slack in the line IMO.