Frogging Lake CDA

ttb31183

Frogging Lake CDA

Post by ttb31183 »

I spent yesterday on one of my favorite lakes in the northwest, really one of my favorites anywhere. Lake Coeur d'Alene in Idaho is an excellent fishery and has the big tournament weights to prove it.

A buddy of mine told me he was on a good frog bite, so I was all in. We started the day in the "chain lakes" that are on the south end of the lake. There are several small lakes connected to the river that flows into the main lake. Each of them has big bass potential. I've had some excellent days on just about every single one of them.

We started off throwing frogs and buzzbaits and are our first three bites were pike. I landed two small ones and he donated a frog to a much larger one. With so many pike in the chain lakes, you never know if your bites are bass or pike.

I had a monster blow up on my frog and thought for sure it was a pike just because of how it hit. I horsed it in, pumped my rod and did whatever I could to hurry up and get this thing in so I could go back to bass fishing. Well, it was a bass buried in all of the grass.

Even with me horsing it in and not really caring, it made it into the boat. The fish was close to six pounds and was the biggest of the day.

We caught a few more two pound class fish on frogs and then the frog bite slowed down. We headed to other areas of the lake and caught some on jigs and the Ned Rig. In total we caught 10-15 largemouth with a few smallmouth mixed in. Not a bad day, but it never is on Coeur d'Alene.
Tyler Brinks