does anyone know what the weight at clearlake was
johnnyobass

Re: Future Pro at clearlake

Post by johnnyobass »

I think it was 22lbs.
Dan S.

Post by Dan S. »

It was also one of the worse weighins ever witnessed in the history of bass fishing. Fifty boat flights, at one point 33 guys were in line to weigh in fish and some had hardly any water in the bag. An individual up here who helps at most weighins tried to help but they told him to get lost. Yeah, I know I'm going to get blasted for saying this but I can't help it as I get sick and tired of seeing the grab the money and run mentality of some of these organizations. They could care less about the fish and let me tell you fella's, some of the fishermen arn't any better. Now, go ahead and blast me but this type of treatment to the resource is going to put the demise to the sport of tournament fishing. My two cents.
Dan S.

> I think it was 22lbs.
john blair

Post by john blair »

> It was also one of the worse weighins ever
> witnessed in the history of bass fishing.
> Fifty boat flights, at one point 33 guys
> were in line to weigh in fish and some had
> hardly any water in the bag. An individual
> up here who helps at most weighins tried to
> help but they told him to get lost. Yeah, I
> know I'm going to get blasted for saying
> this but I can't help it as I get sick and
> tired of seeing the grab the money and run
> mentality of some of these organizations.
> They could care less about the fish and let
> me tell you fella's, some of the fishermen
> arn't any better. Now, go ahead and blast me
> but this type of treatment to the resource
> is going to put the demise to the sport of
> tournament fishing. My two cents.
> Dan S.
this will continue as long as we let these guys do it, when you see this stuff call the fish & game and let them to get there as soon as possible and the ones who don't care will not be allowed to get there permits again. john
Tony Stoltz

Post by Tony Stoltz »

No one's going to blast you for stating an observation based on what you witnessed. I would suggest that you let Vince know as he's the only one that can make corrections to his weigh in procedures.

When you're running large fields there are two critical steps to take to help the condition of the fish coming to the scales. First is to add more water tanks on the way to the scales. Second is not to let out so many bags that you get a huge build up of bagged fish. These fish will do better remaining in livewells where aerators are running then standing for long peroids of time in a line up guys.

It would make sense now to have as many as 8 to 10 water tanks on the way to the scales, but if you only let out a limited number of bags to go with it it insures the fish are in oxygenated water.

It' also helps to have someone monitoring the line to insure that anglers are adding fresh water to the bags as they come from one tank to another. The process of changing out water also helps put more oxygen to the fish.

sTony
R.Mac

Post by R.Mac »

I saw another small bass club weigh-in that was less than ideal for the fish.Every club should have some kind of affiliation with B.B.A.C or at least use their guidelines on care and release of fish.I think that most clubs have a reserve cash account and some of this money might be well spent on proper tanks/tubs and that blue/green stuff for the water that helps the fish survive better.I feel that it's the clubs or organizations responsibility to provide these things for the health of our fish.Take it easy on old bucket mouth!
Tony Stoltz

Post by Tony Stoltz »

DFG has been right there in the past an we've still seen posts like this afterwards. I think you overspeak the value of making that call. This needs to be brought to the TD's attention immediately and not dumped out on a forum a day later. Come on guys, why is it we always see the clear lake folks make these posts when it's apparent that you're standing right there and not saying anything when it counts most? Like when it can be corrected.
Terry K

Post by Terry K »

Tony you got it all wrong. I was also at the tournament and I heard several members of the Clear Lake Bassmasters club, who were operating the release boat, tell Vince that the fish were coming back to them with no water. in the bags. Club president Kevin Hall even got on the bull horn and tried to hold up the number of fishermen holding bags of fish. Club member Mike Pervience even offered to help put water in the bags after the fish were weighed but was told that he wasn't needed. So don't blame the locals for the bad weighin.
Tony Stoltz

How about try something new...

Post by Tony Stoltz »

I don't think I have it wrong at all Terry.

Why not go straight up to the TD, all of you as a group, and protest the goings on when they are doing it? Stop the proceedings. Demand a change. Why haven't you petitioned the DFG to better monitor the situation or ask that permits be reviewed, revoked or simply not issued to offending parties?

I never said that nothing happened. I never said locals caused the problem. I do wonder why you all seem so powerless to prevent it as it appears to be something you pay very close attention to all the time.

Just kind of wondering out loud Terry.

sTony
Cousin Zeek

You don't get it Tony...

Post by Cousin Zeek »

Neither Dan S., Terry Knight, Kevin Hall, nor any of the other members at the Clearlake “Old Farts Clubâ€
Basserk0

Future Pro Tour

Post by Basserk0 »

>
First I would like to say that it is threads like this (with personal attacks) that have made me stop viewing and posting here long ago. I was just informed by an other person to check out what was being said.

Regardless of any other planning factors at the Future Pro tournament at Clearlake, the worst thing that was done was, the lack of some participants taking personal responsibility for taking care of their catch. When people are being told to keep their fish in their live wells because there are already 20 to 30 people with bagged fish waiting on the dock, and they continue bringing fish up it is just irresponsible.

Tony S. suggested that the bags needed to be controlled which is a proven method but, this only works if the TOURNAMENT DIRECTOR tells the participants that only bags supplied by the tournament will be used. Many people used their own bags.

At the request of Vince, Clearlake Bassmasters provided our Release Boat ( for a nominal donation, that does not even cover the expense of the boat let alone the people to operate it ) and we thank him as it is not required by any regulations, and arguably provides many benefits for the fish. I took it upon myself to try and regulate the amount of people waiting, by informing people with the Bull Horn not to bring their fish up as people continued to do so. This took away from my primary propose as release boat "captain" which is to monitor the tanks and fish, and in a tournament his size figure the best time to make a run with fish and get back.

With regards to the posting about the "Locals".... Any body that fishes Clearlake more than a couple of times a year knows the amount of tournaments this lake gets. Very seldom does a weigh-in provoke the kind of response that this one did. When you have a tournament at such a high profile place, such as the docks at Konocti Harbor, and with the number of boats, we as bass fishermen need to put our best foot forward. And be assured that efforts were made by some observers to try and contact DFG, to no avail. They can't be everywhere.

If you enter a tournament with 200 plus boats, you have to know that you are not going to have a 1/2 hour wait for weigh-in unless you are the first boat in. There are tried and tested methods to deal with the logistics of larger tournaments, they just need to be used. I think there is plenty of room for improvement in the Future Pro tournaments on both the weigh-in and participant side.

I welcome all constructive input to these thoughts and will be talking with Vince in the near future.

Kevin Hall, Clearlake Bassmasters President
john blair

Re: You don't get it Tony...

Post by john blair »

> Neither Dan S., Terry Knight, Kevin Hall,
> nor any of the other members at the
> Clearlake “Old Farts Clubâ€
Ross

Well written Kevin

Post by Ross »

> First I would like to say that it is threads
> like this (with personal attacks) that have
> made me stop viewing and posting here long
> ago. I was just informed by an other person
> to check out what was being said.

> Regardless of any other planning factors at
> the Future Pro tournament at Clearlake, the
> worst thing that was done was, the lack of
> some participants taking personal
> responsibility for taking care of their
> catch. When people are being told to keep
> their fish in their live wells because there
> are already 20 to 30 people with bagged fish
> waiting on the dock, and they continue
> bringing fish up it is just irresponsible.

> Tony S. suggested that the bags needed to be
> controlled which is a proven method but,
> this only works if the TOURNAMENT DIRECTOR
> tells the participants that only bags
> supplied by the tournament will be used.
> Many people used their own bags.

> At the request of Vince, Clearlake
> Bassmasters provided our Release Boat ( for
> a nominal donation, that does not even cover
> the expense of the boat let alone the people
> to operate it ) and we thank him as it is
> not required by any regulations, and
> arguably provides many benefits for the
> fish. I took it upon myself to try and
> regulate the amount of people waiting, by
> informing people with the Bull Horn not to
> bring their fish up as people continued to
> do so. This took away from my primary
> propose as release boat "captain"
> which is to monitor the tanks and fish, and
> in a tournament his size figure the best
> time to make a run with fish and get back.

> With regards to the posting about the
> "Locals".... Any body that fishes
> Clearlake more than a couple of times a year
> knows the amount of tournaments this lake
> gets. Very seldom does a weigh-in provoke
> the kind of response that this one did. When
> you have a tournament at such a high profile
> place, such as the docks at Konocti Harbor,
> and with the number of boats, we as bass
> fishermen need to put our best foot forward.
> And be assured that efforts were made by
> some observers to try and contact DFG, to no
> avail. They can't be everywhere.

> If you enter a tournament with 200 plus
> boats, you have to know that you are not
> going to have a 1/2 hour wait for weigh-in
> unless you are the first boat in. There are
> tried and tested methods to deal with the
> logistics of larger tournaments, they just
> need to be used. I think there is plenty of
> room for improvement in the Future Pro
> tournaments on both the weigh-in and
> participant side.

> I welcome all constructive input to these
> thoughts and will be talking with Vince in
> the near future.

> Kevin Hall, Clearlake Bassmasters President

Well written Kevin.

None of us are anti-tournament, we all fish them and are involved in running them as well. In our experience during the past two years of running a team tournament region, we have found the participants will do what they are asked to do when given clear instruction and attention is paid to follow-through.

Everyone has a bad day and all of us have made mistakes, but it is not in the best interest of our sport to turn a blind eye to a situation that should not occur. If I fished the Delta and saw a flagrant fish and game violation, I would pick up my cell phone just as quickly as on my home lake, I would hope the same courtesy would be returned in kind.