HELP i want to fish a torney as a non-boater but dont know w

Lanceman

HELP i want to fish a torney as a non-boater but dont know w

Post by Lanceman »

I have been fishing for bass solidly for 5 years i have been the "KING BOAT RENTER" at just about every lake that rents boats. i am ready for the experience of the tourney side as a co angler or non boater.
Any advice??????
Gator

Re: HELP i want to fish a torney as a non-boater but dont kn

Post by Gator »

If you haven't fished a tourney before, I would recommend joining a club as a non boater. You can learn alot from the club gatherings as most are all about the friendship, fishing and education.

Check out our clubs page and I am sure you can find a club in your area.

Tight Lines!!

Gator
smileee

Join a local club -

Post by smileee »

to meet other bass fisher persons -
then try and enter the various PRO/AMs - as you have seen on this forum there are more AMs than PROs - to insure that you are entered, you should signup with a PRO, thereby you are in. Otherwise, you will be on a waiting list and may never participate as an AM.
Good Luck,
Smileee
> I have been fishing for bass solidly for 5
> years i have been the "KING BOAT
> RENTER" at just about every lake that
> rents boats. i am ready for the experience
> of the tourney side as a co angler or non
> boater.
> Any advice??????
RougeBass

Post by RougeBass »

You could join a local Club, but I highly recommend the Bass Federation. I have been fishing with the Federation for about 3 years as a non boater. I have fished in a few different regions and I have to say all the boaters I have drawn have been excellent and great to fish with. I have been fishing tournments for 15 years as a boater and non boater and the Federation has been alot of fun and I have gained alot of knowlege from the boaters I have drawn. But best of all i have made some great friends and met alot of great fishermen! Give the Federation a try I'm sure you won't be disappointed.
Mark Langner

In fact.... *LINK*

Post by Mark Langner »

There is a federation tournment on the Delta June 5th. You can fish a Fed tourney once without having to join anything. I agree a local club is the best start, but checkout a Fed tourney, very low cost and low pressure. You could see what it's like and simply have fun. I've been doing it 3 seasons now and I love it.

California B.A.S.S. Fed Web Site
Noluk

Post by Noluk »

Lot's of good advice there. Federations and clubs are a great way to start out. I will offer a few other tidbits I would suggest trying.

1. Get a guided trip with a top guide. They can show you what to watch for when your fishing. Speak to them of your intentions to try the AM side of things and they can show you specific things to watch for and how to maximize your oppurtunities to learn from your pro draws. Little things like how to hit your own spots, bait variation and such can make a big difference in your results.

2. Develop a confidence technique. Something you KNOW you can catch them on. If your doing a shared weight tournament then by all means follow your pro's advice. If your fishing a draw event, you may need to have a fallback plan to catch your own fish. However, never get locked in where you can't adapt to whatever they are doing. It is real hard to dropshot behind someone who is burning a blade down a bank.

3. Be realistic in your developmental cycle. AM fishing is part draw game, part luck and part effort and skill. You will probably not win a boat your first year. You may be lucky to catch a check at all. Accept that this may be part of the battle and then do everything you can to change it. I got onto a streak of the wrong kind last year and didn't have a placing finish in 8 pro-am events. That does happen. For a long time, it affected my total fishing confidence level. Then I recalled what I learned. And reapplied myself to my local efforts. I definetely consider myself a better angler for having fished those tournaments, even without great finishes.

4. Have fun. Make friends. Don't eat at a restraunt with an empty parking lot. Make sure you offer something to the pro to cover his oil and gas. Always try and get your motel room on the non-freeway side of the motel. (ok I was kidding with some of these)
Mark Langner

And I might also add....

Post by Mark Langner »

Reading this message board DAILY. It is utterly amazing what you can learn here just by reading.
RougeBass

Re: In fact....

Post by RougeBass »

Just a side note Mark is one of the great boaters i was taking about i drew Mark in a Federation and look forward to drawing him again!
bassbones

Hijack to say SUP!!!!!

Post by bassbones »

Sup Gator,
Long time no fish. You fishn any tourneys lately. Been going to Clear Lake every week. Friend just bought a house in Paradise Cove. Been pulling some pigs out of the lagoon. You got my cell , use it....
If you haven't fished a tourney before, I
> would recommend joining a club as a non
> boater. You can learn alot from the club
> gatherings as most are all about the
> friendship, fishing and education.

> Check out our clubs page and I am sure you
> can find a club in your area.

> Tight Lines!!

> Gator
ksmith

Post by ksmith »

If you are in or around the Modesto area, check out our website at <A HREF="http://www.modestoambassadors.com" TARGET="_blank">www.modestoambassadors.com</A> we are currently looking for new members, and Non-Boaters are ALWAYS welcome. We have a club rule that we NEVER leave a Non-Boater on the bank. Thank you, K. Smith - '05 Secretary
kopper_bass

Not so sure .......

Post by kopper_bass »

Mark is bad, ..... very bad. i drew him once too and he preceeded to fish all my water and catch all my big fish. Grrr!!

Forced me to quickly get another boat to be in the front again!! Har Har!!

Mark is truly a good friend and anyone would be lucky to draw him.

kopper_bass
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

There's a lot of Federation talk here, but don't be confused, most clubs offer Federation memberships as part of the package. Team formats are best for learning as the weights are combined, as in WON-Bass.
In Federation, you're fishing against your boating partner. Sometimes that's not a good thing as most every group has an *ss.

West Valley BassMasters of Tracy offers team formats for all tournaments. You can be a one-time guest or full-time member. Club dues only, No tournament fees. If you're lookin' to make a livin off your friends, this is not the club for you. If you're looking to have fun & learn in the process, we're the right place.

West Valley BassMasters of Tracy