Issue networking HDS Live with HDS Carbon

Moderator: Ken Sauret

Pepsi man

Issue networking HDS Live with HDS Carbon

Post by Pepsi man »

I just installed an HDS carbon 16 on the console (previously Live 9) and now when I power on both the Live at the bow along with the Carbon at the console the Live unit stays stuck on the HDS Live screen. The carbon works fine with both turned on. They are linked with an ethernet cable. If I only turn on the Live it works fine or if I unplug the ethernet they both work fine...why is it only the Live that is having issues when both units are on? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Marc

Re: Issue networking HDS Live with HDS Carbon

Post by Marc »

There are several potential causes for this problem.

1st and most likely is not having all units on the same and current software version. Networked units need to be on the same software version. They have a hard time sharing information like map cards and transducers when the software doesn't match and the units try to talk to each other.

Do you have a mapping chip in the bow LIVE? Does the problem continue with the map chip out of the Bow unit?

Put both units on software version 22.1 and see if this fixes your problem. If not, I would try a new ethernet cable between the two units.
www.RangerBoats.com
www.Evinrude.com
www.QuickDropsWeights.com
www.Yamamoto.Baits.com
www.Lamiglas.com
www.Gamakatsu.com
www.LuckyCraft.com
www.Lowrance.com
www.TransducerShieldandSaver.com
Pepsi man

Post by Pepsi man »

Marc wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:00 pm There are several potential causes for this problem.

1st and most likely is not having all units on the same and current software version. Networked units need to be on the same software version. They have a hard time sharing information like map cards and transducers when the software doesn't match and the units try to talk to each other.

Do you have a mapping chip in the bow LIVE? Does the problem continue with the map chip out of the Bow unit?

Put both units on software version 22.1 and see if this fixes your problem. If not, I would try a new ethernet cable between the two units.
Thanks and I think you're right..I registered and updated the carbon when I installed it but did not do that with the live since it was running the most current update when they were purchased. I'll give it a go and see what happens.
Pepsi man

Post by Pepsi man »

Marc wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:00 pm There are several potential causes for this problem.

Just updated both graphs to 22.1 and still no dice... to eliminate the possibility of a bad ethernet cord i hooked up the previous live at the bow (which now has the carbon) and both graphs turned on and worked fine. I did notice that when I turned on the live at the bow first, it would work fine until is turned on the carbon and then the live would go back to the start up screen and stay there..the carbon is unaffected...I'm thinking its a configuration issue but I could be wrong. And there are also no mapping cards in either graph.
Marc

Post by Marc »

I would disconnect the ethernet cable at the bow unit and then do a hard reset. This fixes most config issues and is also something that should always be done after updating. By unhooking your ethernet cable you will retain your waypoints on your console unit. The hard reset wipes out your waypoints, trails and routes. After the hard reset then hook up your ethernet cable and turn on all units and you will reload all your waypoints because they will be synchronized from your console unit.

If that doesn't fix the issue, then I would look hard into whether you are on the edge of not having enough power at the bow...the larger units pull more amps. Hope this helps.
www.RangerBoats.com
www.Evinrude.com
www.QuickDropsWeights.com
www.Yamamoto.Baits.com
www.Lamiglas.com
www.Gamakatsu.com
www.LuckyCraft.com
www.Lowrance.com
www.TransducerShieldandSaver.com
Pepsi man

Post by Pepsi man »

Marc wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 9:11 pm I would disconnect the ethernet cable at the bow unit and then do a hard reset. This fixes most config issues and is also something that should always be done after updating. By unhooking your ethernet cable you will retain your waypoints on your console unit. The hard reset wipes out your waypoints, trails and routes. After the hard reset then hook up your ethernet cable and turn on all units and you will reload all your waypoints because they will be synchronized from your console unit.

If that doesn't fix the issue, then I would look hard into whether you are on the edge of not having enough power at the bow...the larger units pull more amps. Hope this helps.
Man I'm still stuck like Chuck..I upgraded both units, eliminated the bad ethernet cord by hooking the previous Live unit and it worked fine..hard resets on both units and checked for adequate power to the units and still the same result..I'm not sure why only the Live is affected but its looking like I'll have to give lowrance a call..