Lake Del Valle Help / Boy Scouts

PF3352

Lake Del Valle Help / Boy Scouts

Post by PF3352 »

Never been there and want to help some Scouts get their fishing merit badge. Read some old reports and will be going next weekend. Taking my bass boat so we will have full access. Any ideas might save me some time.

Thank you.
WB Staff

Re: Lake Del Valle Help / Boy Scouts

Post by WB Staff »

no fishing info, but incase you weren't aware 10 mph limit on the lake

other info on boats/launch you may be interested in

https://www.ebparks.org/activities/boat ... m#delvalle
bass king

Post by bass king »

Make sure your boat is clean and DRY. The inspection there is very, very thorough. I've been with a buddy and failed a few times in his boat. They look in every compartment, make you lift your outboard up and down, etc. My buddy failed once because there was a roboworm in the boat that was damp. :roll:

The water is usually fairly clear, and there are largemouth and smallmouth, along with stripers and big trout. I would bring Delta fishing rods and reels, in case you fail the inspection you're about 45 mins from a launch on the river.

Good luck!
rico

Post by rico »

It's ironic that they have a mussel inspection at all, much less one that is as thorough as it is. In case you don't know, Del Valle is filled from the delta, where the mussels originate from the big vessels. The inspection should be like Clear Lake. As long as you have the fee, you're cleared.
stubbs

Post by stubbs »

Went a few times last year more in Spring vs Summer with a buddy. If I recall we did the best outside the weedline on the opposite side from the boat ramp tossing senkos and cranks on the wall in the narrows. Also picked up some stripers in Heron Bay on topwater/jerkbaits. Wrong time of year so not sure if it really helps.
Scott L

Post by Scott L »

Not sure where you are coming from, but if I'm going to Del Valle I take my boat to Quarry Lakes in Fremont on a sunny afternoon. You can't launch there, but they will inspect your boat and tag the bow eye to the trailer. Then you can launch without going through the hassle at DV. I believe any of the East Bay parks system locations that inspect kayaks will inspect your boat.

What bothers me is that Santa Clara water district doesn't have reciprocal tag systems. One would think if your boat has a tag on it from EB parks SC could accept the vessel and vice versa. Heck I'd even pay their inspection tax.
PF3352

Post by PF3352 »

Thanks guys. I am hoping I am dry enough as I even blew the water out of all my livewell hoses as I unhooked them from the pumps. I hope they don't think they are going to unhook my lines as I don't want them to break anything before a tournament. I am dry and just have a small amount of biodegradable power pole fluid that has stained the bottom of my boat but no water.

I only need to catch 10 fish (1 each) and hoping it does not go from daylight to dark. I guessing Oroville / shasta baits for the scouts on 6lb flouro.

Thanks again,

Paul
CBoat

Post by CBoat »

Muscle inspection is brutal. I have failed 3 times. Depressing because I have spent many years on this lake when I was young. I have nearly given up. I am going to give it one more chance. U better be sure you unplug your boat and put your finger in there on a hill and you feel no water.

Any dampness will disqualify. No ice. No old water bottles with leftover condensation. Your salty worm in your compartment is soaked. They will make you go home. Be very thorough. Go overboard.
In the beginning, there was nothing, then suddenly there was something, then it exploded and turned into everything in the universe, all by itself. OR In the beginning, God created the heavens and the Earth.