lower unit scag

bass343

lower unit scag

Post by bass343 »

Hello all,

Over the years I noticed my scag on my lower unit getting smaller and smaller. How bad should I be concern with it?
Should I go ahead and have a new piece welded on there or should I go ahead and by a scag guard for it? Will a scag guard work just as good as a new welded new piece? What are your thoughts?

Thanks,

Dan
jloo283

Re: lower unit scag

Post by jloo283 »

The skeg's primary role is to protect the prop, prop shaft, and internal lower unit components from potential damage when encountering light to moderate bumps and hits from submerged objects. If it's getting shorter than the height of your prop, you need to take care of it. The screw-on stainless skeg guard works quite well and has no negative side effects or performance issues, provided it can be installed properly. And as far as its intended protection quality, it will work just as well as the one piece skeg. If you want to go this route, make sure to slightly sand and paint the exposed aluminum metal on the skeg to protect it from electrolysis.

The skeg isn't something that deteriorates over time. Even if the paint has chipped away completely and its aluminum metal is fully exposed, unless you're in the salt all the time, it won't get damaged that much that fast from electrolysis.

So... the more important question is, how have you been running your boat to the point of slowly chipping away your skeg over the years?

James
drew

Post by drew »

I think you mean second role. If your skeg were to break off at speed you would experience its primary function. My recommendation is to drop the lower unit and bring/send it to some one who can repair it. The process involves welding a new piece of aluminum to the existing material and then grinding it back to its original shape. Similar to the process used to repair props.

jloo283 wrote:The skeg's primary role is to protect the prop, prop shaft, and internal lower unit components from potential damage when encountering light to moderate bumps and hits from submerged objects. If it's getting shorter than the height of your prop, you need to take care of it. The screw-on stainless skeg guard works quite well and has no negative side effects or performance issues, provided it can be installed properly. And as far as its intended protection quality, it will work just as well as the one piece skeg. If you want to go this route, make sure to slightly sand and paint the exposed aluminum metal on the skeg to protect it from electrolysis.

The skeg isn't something that deteriorates over time. Even if the paint has chipped away completely and its aluminum metal is fully exposed, unless you're in the salt all the time, it won't get damaged that much that fast from electrolysis.

So... the more important question is, how have you been running your boat to the point of slowly chipping away your skeg over the years?

James
bass343

Post by bass343 »

Thanks for your feed back it's greatly appreciated.