Mike Long admits deceit behind bass record?

DarWise

Re: Mike Long admits deceit behind bass record?

Post by DarWise »

mark poulson wrote:A dumb mistake by a younger Mike Long, but it doesn't take away from his overall fishing credibility for me.
If anything, it shows he's man enough to admit to it, and take responsibility for his actions.
Not only did he lie about his big bass catches (snagging them) and lake records but he also cheated in several team tournaments stealing money from all the tournament anglers. 3 big tournament organizations banned him from fishing any more tournaments. The 9 page article was very detailed and specific and quoted several of Mike's so called team partners, some of which said he didn't contribute to the day's catch or were asked by Mike to not show up so he could fish alone (so he could cheat without a witness). They also said his fishing skills were sub par at best.

In my opinion, anyone who has to lie, cheat, and steal in a tournament, should be punished by law, and be forced to pay back all the money from every tournament he cashed in, and all the so called lake records he holds should be removed.

Nope, no respect from me.
Dave A

Post by Dave A »

Holy fu%#!

I'm typically eager to here both sides, but this is pretty damning evidence. The stories of him stalking Kerr's 13 year old son is highly alarming as well as the accusations vandalism.

Speechless!!!

Cheaters beware!!!! No secrets nowadays!
WRB

Post by WRB »

This thread started over 5 years ago and the 9 page article only chronicles what Bill Murphy and others in San Deigo trophy bass circles were saying as far back as 2004.
Tom
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

DarWise wrote:
mark poulson wrote:A dumb mistake by a younger Mike Long, but it doesn't take away from his overall fishing credibility for me.
If anything, it shows he's man enough to admit to it, and take responsibility for his actions.
Not only did he lie about his big bass catches (snagging them) and lake records but he also cheated in several team tournaments stealing money from all the tournament anglers. 3 big tournament organizations banned him from fishing any more tournaments. The 9 page article was very detailed and specific and quoted several of Mike's so called team partners, some of which said he didn't contribute to the day's catch or were asked by Mike to not show up so he could fish alone (so he could cheat without a witness). They also said his fishing skills were sub par at best.

In my opinion, anyone who has to lie, cheat, and steal in a tournament, should be punished by law, and be forced to pay back all the money from every tournament he cashed in, and all the so called lake records he holds should be removed.

Nope, no respect from me.
This new information has made me rethink my opinion of him.
Clearly, he is an accomplished liar and cheater.
It's too bad that people get so caught up in their public image that they will use any means to achieve and protect it.
Bill Siemental told me, years ago, that ego is the biggest danger in competitive fishing. I guess he was right.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
Carol Knowles

Post by Carol Knowles »

offduty wrote:Somebody spent a lot of time interviewing his past partners and lake officials to write this article. I never knew he was banned from those tournament circuits. I don't think he will ever recover from this with past tournament partners giving the interviewer information like this, and storing big bass in his garage. I lost all respect for the guy after reading this, everyone he has fished with in tournaments said he cheats.
Hate hearing stories like this!
DDG

Post by DDG »

Still waiting for industry reps that knew him, promoted him and featured him on their media outlets. Is Long the Myth with little to no skill? The evidence is there that he snags fish. To be honest I read about him as a kid and always wondered if he was just a guy that got lucky catching giant fish and why he wasnt fishing bigger circuits.

I think the sooner we rid the industry of this stain the better and thats gonna go with everyone forgetting about it.
jiggin4bass

Post by jiggin4bass »

I wonder if Democrats Jerry Nader d-n.y., and Adam Schiff d- Calif will subpoena Mike Long to testify on captial hill. There subpoening everybody else.
Home Of The Original Puffball Jig
Building and fishing custom jigs
since 1977
Madera Ca.
Favorite Lakes
Eastman
Hensley
gixxer464

Post by gixxer464 »

The Snow Bass video is the best. :lol:
Joe daddy

Post by Joe daddy »

I don’t know mike long from night or day. But I do remember that cover photo. I was around 25 years old. I thought what a rock star. Men want to be him woman want to be with him and fish want to be caught by him. That photo inspired me to fish harder and more often. I always thought that one day I could catch me a big fish out of Oroville. Keep on fishing! :)
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

jiggin4bass wrote:I wonder if Democrats Jerry Nader d-n.y., and Adam Schiff d- Calif will subpoena Mike Long to testify on captial hill. There subpoening everybody else.
Only if he has actual evidence about illegal political activities.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
Whoopbass

Post by Whoopbass »

Since when do the Dem's need "actual evidence" of illegal activities?

Anyway, let's not stray off topic
Last edited by Whoopbass on Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jiggin4bass

Post by jiggin4bass »

Only people I see affected by this would be his sponsors he has to anwser too them. He's got away with this for years and he made 1 big mistake and now it cost him alot I for one could care less what happens to him his ego got in the way now he paying for it. Everybody posting on all these threads.
YOU'LL GET OVER IT.
since 1977
Madera Ca.
Favorite Lakes
Eastman
Hensley
hydro

Post by hydro »

"Only people I see affected by this would be his sponsors he has to anwser too them." ???

Really what about the anglers who lost out on lake records to this guy or team tournament competitors who got robbed of winnings and points due to his cheating . What about tournament organizations who suffered from reduced participation in their team tournaments because of this guy .
DDG

Post by DDG »

hydro wrote:"Only people I see affected by this would be his sponsors he has to anwser too them." ???

Really what about the anglers who lost out on lake records to this guy or team tournament competitors who got robbed of winnings and points due to his cheating . What about tournament organizations who suffered from reduced participation in their team tournaments because of this guy .

+1
jiggin4bass

Post by jiggin4bass »

Did all this happen in southern California ?
since 1977
Madera Ca.
Favorite Lakes
Eastman
Hensley
WRB

Post by WRB »

jiggin4bass wrote:Did all this happen in southern California ?
Yes, San Diego lakes.
Tom
jiggin4bass

Post by jiggin4bass »

That anwser that question. If I remember back in to early 80's in southern California Trophy bass fisherman in southern California area lake were using live trout before weight trebel hooks too try to catch trophy bass. Does this still go on in southern California ca. Lakes. Seem like a pattern to the South end of the state.
since 1977
Madera Ca.
Favorite Lakes
Eastman
Hensley
WRB

Re: Mike Long admits deceit behind bass recor

Post by WRB »

Cheating has no boundaries.
All kinds of accusations and rumors follow giant bass catches usually from jealousy.
Mike Long doesn't represent trophy bass fishing or tournament bass fishing, he has been proven to be a cheater. Trew and Duclos were NorCal anglers claiming WR bass catches that proved to be a hoax. There nothing to gain making this a north south conflict of who has the worst of the worst cheaters, the south has Mike Hart, hard to top him for tournament cheating and now Mike Long.
Tom
Last edited by WRB on Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:47 am, edited 3 times in total.
M Pollard

Post by M Pollard »

He was tying fish to under water trees, he had a tank with two bass that he weighed in a tourney, he was snagging bed fish... he made Thousand off cheating... He is a Piece of ****
birdman920

Post by birdman920 »

jiggin4bass wrote:That anwser that question. If I remember back in to early 80's in southern California Trophy bass fisherman in southern California area lake were using live trout before weight trebel hooks too try to catch trophy bass. Does this still go on in southern California ca. Lakes. Seem like a pattern to the South end of the state.
Ther was a guy back in the 80’s & 90’s who fished Casitas ‘ had numerous fish over 10#s, his pictures were up all over the marina & Oakveiw market, they finally caught him red handed ‘ using live trout for bait ‘ he was 86’d from the lake !... don’t recall his name ?.....
WRB

Post by WRB »

Back in the 80's and 90's the million dollar world record bass reward was offered by a magizine to anyone who caught it. Offer that much money and cheaters come out of the woodwork and both Castaic and Casitas were overwhelmed by anglers seeking the prize.
A few bass boats were adding refriguatorated livewells to hold hatchary rainbow trout, the DFG was randomly inspecting boats waiting to launch the problem was so wide spread. The owner of a rod company (Phenix) and his wife were caught fishing in the closed area at Casitas and rumored to have live trout in the livewell, they were fined and were not allowed to fish Casitas as a result.
During that time period both lakes had a god population of giant bass over 15 lbs and whenever anyone caught them fingers started pointing that the angler cheated, it was a zoo created by the money offered and a few cheaters ruined it for everyone else.
I know from experience how vicious jealous anglers can be and it's difficult at the time to see why, hindsight it becomes clear. The Kellen Ellis 9 page article makes it clear that Mike Long always cheated and by doing so cheated everyone who bass fishes.
Tom
Last edited by WRB on Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
jiggin4bass

Post by jiggin4bass »

It a real shame that anglers like that do this just to get there names out there and gain sponsors and then get caught knowing it wrong. Very sad for the sport.
since 1977
Madera Ca.
Favorite Lakes
Eastman
Hensley
Dave A

Post by Dave A »

gixxer464 wrote:The Snow Bass video is the best. :lol:
That was hilarious :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wonderful acting.
Otay Michael

Post by Otay Michael »

Dave A wrote:
gixxer464 wrote:The Snow Bass video is the best. :lol:
That was hilarious :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wonderful acting.
Yeah, and we all bring monster bass right towards the only big boulders nearby, always increases chances of landing them!!
Har Har. :lol: :lol:
Otay Michael

All I need to get into the money would be the four I usually get along with a 20# kicker.

Own no boring art: www.seewald.com
Name written in the book of life.
Creature619

Post by Creature619 »

He had some epic 1st place envelopes
From the 24 pounds at San v night derby or the Big bag at San v during the two day event that lead to the win.
WB Staff

Post by WB Staff »

insideline-blog-mikelong04.jpg
Pete Weighs In on Mike Long

Long Story, Bro

One of my fraternity brothers cheated his way through college. Truth be told, it was the least of his transgressions — had he not been perhaps the school’s greatest wrestler to date, his fighting, belligerence towards campus security and other drunken misdeeds might’ve gotten him kicked out long before graduation. In moments of clearheaded sobriety, though, he worked on various schemes to game the academic system.

Some were simple, like looking on someone else’s test or “borrowing” a paper that another student had previously written, but others required great effort — crib sheets and hours of pre-planning to ensure that he’d have the necessary information at his fingertips at the right time.

Read it all at Yamamoto: http://www.insideline.net/peteweighsin/ ... -story-bro
WRB

Post by WRB »

Prisons are full of people who put tremendous energy into being dishonest and with the same effort could have be successful with an honest living. Why? If you could answer that you would solve a mystery plaguing humanity.
I can discuss with experience of the drive to catch a world record bass, I spent my entire adult life pursuing that goal. Unlike Mike Long and others I wasn't trying to fill my ego, just trying to catch that elusive bass. My career outside of bass fishing was enough to satisfy my ego, catching giant bass was more of a internal drive to achieve my goal.
The question was do you cheat to reach the goal? The answer is you only cheat yourself. Have I ever crossed the line or the bouy line? Yes! The grass always looks greener on the other side. Oddly I never caught a single giant bass over 17 lbs by crossing the line and soon realized the penalty of doing it...what if I caught that bass by cheating? That thought keeps honest anglers honest.
Mike Long unfortunitly wasn't a honest man and he crossed several lines that caught up with him, it always does.
Tom
Last edited by WRB on Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Creature619

Post by Creature619 »

It's such a bad dream to have fished many of the Derbys against those guys
John Kerr an Mike Long
I was at the event when Mike long won with 3 bass for 24 pounds at San V
Pretty sure kellen was there too.
Kellens story goes on to talk about how the lake Jennings record was actually caught by John Kerr at lake Poway.
But then the two actually take off equally in the same direction (winning big)
For many years go by as they fish as a team
Nothing was said about the picture by John Kerr ? wth?

But wow big money some 25,000 prizes over n over
From some trophy club?

I remember John Kerr's nice new skeeter and Mike longs Ranger

Also did fish at least 100 of the derbies that Kellen Ellis attended

From the aim marine series
Or national bass west and a few more
Creature619

Post by Creature619 »

I Remeber Mike long sat in a tree in grassy bay and caught a father and son team
Snagging fish in a derby

Put that into this thread
Could of even been that same kid that sat in the tree to catch Mike this year

Don't haggle the Haggle's the story goes on
Texas John Fishing

Post by Texas John Fishing »

I started fishing tournaments around 2007 in NorCal, found my first partner right here on WB! I have been in different sports since I was young and that moment of blast off in the morning is still the most exciting moment in sports, anything is possible at that moment. The thrill of the tournament, the potential winnings or just finishing higher than my buddies was the drive.

I remember reading about ML years ago and the first thing I did was headed over to YouTube where guys like Matt Allen and a few others were sharing their big fish catches, no ML, which was odd to me since his pictures were everywhere online. While I never competed against him I will use a line from the article, nobody is that good.

Unfortunately our sport, just like all the rest, have people who are willing to do anything to win, cheating included. We have guys shoving weights into the bellies of bass, caging them or even the snaggers. Due to the nature of our sport there is no way to ultimately prevent cheaters, in tournaments or those just out fun fishing.

I would hope the lakes where he holds records revert to the previous lake record, or any other record beating bass caught after he recorded his. I am hoping BassMaster magazine has an article about this, him in particular, admitting they, like many in our community, fell victim to the lies and deceit. We all need to be more aware, have better education and bigger punishments for those caught, as it gives our whole sport a black eye.

Just my $0.02
Creature619

Post by Creature619 »

The FLW Marshall program should continue though out all events that have a big pay out.
Nevadabassin

Post by Nevadabassin »

He did sit in the grass in a bay were tom and Kyle higle were snagging fish at San v alot of years ago.maybe he was leading a lesson or two on the how too's on how to cheat in derbys
WB Staff

Post by WB Staff »

....The downfall of Long was stunning for its speed and completeness.

In Italy, Airrus cut ties. The contract between Long and the company included royalties from a signature line of rods and a sponsorship for the use of his likeness.

When Airrus attempted to reach Long, an uncomfortable odor began to drift between the continents. The company issued a news release stating it was discontinuing the line and donating all remaining rods to a children’s charity. The manufacturer went so far as to post an image of one signature rod with a treble hook buried in the side. That was in reference to the SDFish.com video that showed Long snagging fish — a method that does not involve the fish taking bait with its mouth that is a violation of state regulations and highly taboo in the sport.

The hardly subtle visual posted by the Italian rod maker, a literal and figurative illustration of the report’s rattling reach.

“At some point during the night, we noticed he deleted his Instagram account, his Facebook account and became pretty much unreachable,” Di Bene said. “We felt like this was (questionable) behavior. We were waiting for some sort of defense from his side, but the deleting of his accounts was a very bad signal.”

Comparisons to disgraced cyclist Lance Armstrong — the rise, the fall, the allegations of ruthless efforts to bulldoze people and safeguard secrets — echoed from all corners of the bass-fishing world....

Read it all from the San Diego Tribune: https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sp ... irrus-rods
WB Staff

Post by WB Staff »

65309521_2804831799558581_711068072491876352_n.jpg
This was the post and photo from Airrus (mentioned in the above post)...

Airrus Rods believed in Mike Long's legendary big bass catching ability, to the extent of creating a Signature Series of rods for him. We are utterly disappointed by Long's behavior, as showed on the SDFish.com video and article. We decided to cut ties with him and to donate all the remaining stock of his signature series rods to Samantha Gay's Fishers of Kids Anglers Academy, in her hands these rods will be used for the proper purposes.

To learn more: https://sdfish.com/general/dark-secret- ... mike-long/

Video:
Texas John Fishing

Post by Texas John Fishing »

WB Staff wrote:65309521_2804831799558581_711068072491876352_n.jpg

This was the post and photo from Airrus...

Airrus Rods believed in Mike Long's legendary big bass catching ability, to the extent of creating a Signature Series of rods for him. We are utterly disappointed by Long's behavior, as showed on the SDFish.com video and article. We decided to cut ties with him and to donate all the remaining stock of his signature series rods to Samantha Gay's Fishers of Kids Anglers Academy, in her hands these rods will be used for the proper purposes.

To learn more: https://sdfish.com/general/dark-secret- ... mike-long/

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8U4xXcpUjQ0
Seagaur and Shimano should do the same, maybe they have already I just haven’t seen it.
Creature619

Post by Creature619 »

Right on Nevada
Ya Tom an Kyle
San V
Mike in the Grass

Was that a Won bass or NBW
There used to be an article on the web about it
WRB

Post by WRB »

When I read this thread when it started in 2014,there is a post by the late young Eric Elshere who at one time thought highly Mike Long. Eric clearly knew the truth about Long and lost all respect for the man when made his post. If anything good about this thread it's knowing young Eric figured the man out before most of us did.
Tom
Last edited by WRB on Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jiggin4bass

Post by jiggin4bass »

So this has been going on with this person for over ten years now and this just all is coming out now. Talk about slow reporting. I'm sure you'll will get over it. Ok he gone move too the next subject now.
since 1977
Madera Ca.
Favorite Lakes
Eastman
Hensley
WRB

Post by WRB »

jiggin4bass wrote:So this has been going on with this person for over ten years now and this just all is coming out now. Talk about slow reporting. I'm sure you'll will get over it. Ok he gone move too the next subject now.
Corrected 2014, it's only been 5 years!
Mike Jones had a good column in WON this week worth reading.
Tom
Creature619

Post by Creature619 »

Fish the double drop off at lake Jennings during night fishing
the next few weeks
Double digit fish can be caught
SObassman

Post by SObassman »

What people do when money is involved can never be predicted. I have read the article and watched the video, the whole thing is a sad representation of our society and what people will do to others to make themselves look like something special.
Is there not enough info in the printed article and the video to submit to CAL DFG poacher/violator tip line and have them take some action on all this. Snagging is against the law in any form of fishing.
When people act in a manner such as this they tend to think they can get away with anything. He certainly should have know that people were talking about his actions and that pier pressure
did not cause a change in his action or he would have not been doing this as recently as April of this year. The law has a way of dealing with such actions and bringing them to an end, it is surprising that with what he has done in front of so many people that there has not been some previous contact with him by law enforcement, especially considering people don't like to be cheated out of money even if it is fishing tournament.
Hopefully that will change