New Hogan

fishing freak

New Hogan

Post by fishing freak »

do you know where to find any good reports on this place?

Dose anybody have any info on how i should go after the striper here?

is their any where on the web i can also find like a 3d map to see the structure under the water?

i appreciate all the incite.
Last edited by fishing freak on Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IF IT SWIMS, I'M FISHING FOR IT!
fish_food

Re: New Hogan

Post by fish_food »

The evenings from late summer into fall are great for the schooling topwater bite. Guys get 'em all over the lake but I like to be in the narrows just before the sun starts to set. When you see a boil, motor closer to the activity then use the troller to get within casting distance. It's great action when they boil 360 degrees around you.

Smaller walking baits like the Super Spook Jr and Sammy 100 work really well as do regular size Chug Bugs. Splash-Its, Pop-Rs and LC G-Splash are good choices if you like poppers. When they stop biting on top you can search 'em out by fancasting ripbaits like Bevy Shads or swimming your favorite spoon. A lot of the times you'll nail the full house during the feeding frenzy (stripers, largies, smallies and spots). Use lighter gear like a medium power rod with 8 to 10 lb line.

The average cookie cutter Hogan striper will be 4-6 pounds and the limit is ten fish, no minimum size.
thukidad

Post by thukidad »

Aside from throwing topwater lures, i've been using zoom fluke in white pearl rigged with a jig head hook. Use quick jerking and popping action to entice the bite.
fishing freak

Post by fishing freak »

thank you guys for your info.
fishing freak

Post by fishing freak »

so it seems like not to many people fish this lake from this site. have you guys seen this video

looks like a nice school to me i will continue to fish this lake till i figure it out. any more info is appreciated.
thukidad

Post by thukidad »

are you fishing day time or night?
fishing freak

Post by fishing freak »

Day time rite now its great because theirs not a lot of boat traffic.
chinook

Post by chinook »

Never fished it myself but had a friend that used to fish it frequently. His primary method was to troll anchovies mounted in Rotary Killers; used downriggers to get down to the level at which fish were holding. He said it was great if you could spot boils and throw swimbaits or pretty much any lure where they were boiling but that didn't happen very often. Day in, day out, trolling was the most consistent method.
fish_food

Post by fish_food »

chinook wrote: He said it was great if you could spot boils and throw swimbaits or pretty much any lure where they were boiling but that didn't happen very often.
You can count on seeing plenty of boils early or late--it really is like clockwork. As I mentioned above, the best time to fish for stripers there is late summer into fall. The main summer season is a madhouse. The number of recreational boaters really falls off (less jerks obliviously motoring through the boil you're fishing!).
chinook

Post by chinook »

Fish-food, thanks for the clarification. That buddy of mine was one of those people that stays out there all day and used to fish out there at all times of the year so that's probably why he thought trolling was more productive. Sounds like the boil window is pretty narrow but must be great when you hit it. I'll have to try that myself later this year. Trolling, particularly when you start using downriggers is too much like work for me. :)
Thanks a bunch.
frankc

Post by frankc »

hey guys, thinking about going there this week , i sure would like to catch some stripers, not doing to good at the san luis.....
fishing freak

Post by fishing freak »

Well the striper are certainly there. When I had got there it was already 12 an we stayed till about 5.bait was live minnow an pileworm,1 good take down on drifting a minnow but spit the hook,then a hook up on minnow with a small mouth,nothing hit the pile worm. I hope you get to rip some striper lips! I'll be back next week.
thukidad

Post by thukidad »

you guys should try night fishing with a black light in the fall.. last year we had over 100 fish within two hours.. total non stop action using only..... anchovies!!!
fishing freak

Post by fishing freak »

I can't wait to go camping an pull some all-nighters!
jack morris

Post by jack morris »

Try slow trolling shad, slow rolling , or drift live minnows,Big live minnows. Jack