Striper Report - 02/15 and 02/16

Burke

Striper Report - 02/15 and 02/16

Post by Burke »

My buddy Gerald and I fished on Thursday, 02/15, while my cousins Gene and John fished on Friday, 02/16. We both spent about 4 hours on the water fishing the same area.

Can't tell you exactly where we fished, but find a slough with some clear water and crank 3/4 oz Rat L Traps.

Between the four of us, we boated 10 keeper size stripers and 1 bass over 2 lbs. Had my line break fighting one that was over 15 lbs, but the largest ones we boated were 9+ lbs.

Will be using my braid on the next trip because that's 2 trips in a row where I broke my line fighting a striper over 15 lbs.
DeltaDan

Re: Striper Report - 02/15 and 02/16

Post by DeltaDan »

Nice day Burke ! Image

What line are you using now that you do not have confidence in?
You know, we always called each other goodfellas. Like, you'd say to somebody: "You're gonna like this guy; he's all right. He's a goodfella. He's one of us." You understand? We were goodfellas, wiseguys.

[b]Team LL [/b] (2006 ~ And Beyond !! )
Burke

Re: Striper Report - 02/15 and 02/16

Post by Burke »

Using 15lb P-line flouroclear (been using it for 3-4 years). Love the line, but we've noticed that the stripers are so aggressive this year that several of the ones we've boated in the last 2-3 trips have the entire or over 75% of the Rat L Trap inside their mouth.

I've checked the line after each breakoff and noticed abrasion to the line. Most likely from a Rat L Trap that is inside the striper's mouth and having the line rub against the "teeth" in the upper jaw as the striper is making its runs.