Anyone owns a Dodge Durango?

BassinRob!

Anyone owns a Dodge Durango?

Post by BassinRob! »

I'm looking into purchasing a 2000 or 2001 Dodge Durango in the near future. I was wondering if anyone has an opinion on these cars? It will be used as a vehicle for day to day driving as well as a tow car for a bass boat (as soon as I get one). Anyone has any pros or cons of buying one from your experience?

Thanks in advance for your input.

BassinRob!
John Barron

Hey Smitty you guys have a Durango don't you?

Post by John Barron »

My wife has a Durango V8 4WD. We live in San Dimas and she works in Arcadia. We do not take it off road at all. So far I have replaced the rear end, all of the u joints, replaced the water pump, rebuilt the transfer case, replaced the front drive line, replaced the air conditioner, replaced the driver's seat motor and of course all of this went out after the extended warrenty had run out. She gets 12 mpg whether it's in the city, on the freeway or falling out of an airplane. We have to keep it until the wheels fall off just to break even. And the wheels falling off may be any time now because there is a recall on the front bearings and hubs. Other than that it's been a fine vehicle.
jb
smitty

2004 new model year

Post by smitty »

Knock on wood no problems so far. Milage is as bad as my 2500HD because it has the hemi. It tows great and flat gets it done gettin on the freeway. The drive train is chrysler, body/interior diamler (mercedes) and it has been fine so far but only has 16k miles on it....yes we leased it!
Smitty
> My wife has a Durango V8 4WD. We live in San
> Dimas and she works in Arcadia. We do not
> take it off road at all. So far I have
> replaced the rear end, all of the u joints,
> replaced the water pump, rebuilt the
> transfer case, replaced the front drive
> line, replaced the air conditioner, replaced
> the driver's seat motor and of course all of
> this went out after the extended warrenty
> had run out. She gets 12 mpg whether it's in
> the city, on the freeway or falling out of
> an airplane. We have to keep it until the
> wheels fall off just to break even. And the
> wheels falling off may be any time now
> because there is a recall on the front
> bearings and hubs. Other than that it's been
> a fine vehicle.
> jb
Charlie

Re: 2004 new model year

Post by Charlie »

I have a 01 2WD V-8 model. Its my daily wheels to work,and mostly a dingy car behind the RV.I have towed the boat with it,no problems with the handling what so ever. Been a good reliable and faster than heck ride I have to say. Damn thing really screams. I prefer towing with my HD just cause I drive a lil bit above 55,shhhh! lol. MPG right at 14 according to the little graph. I havent had any mechanical head aches save for one ,which was a warantee issue.Hope this helps,,Charlie
John Barron

BassnRob I hope I didn't scare you

Post by John Barron »

I think the Durango's are fine and will make a good tow vehicle. I just got a bad one. Every manufacturer (except Ford trucks) has a bad vehicle once in a while
jb
smitty

JB-

Post by smitty »

You forgot about the first year of the change over to the current diesel when it comes to Ford!
Smitty
> I think the Durango's are fine and will make
> a good tow vehicle. I just got a bad one.
> Every manufacturer (except Ford trucks) has
> a bad vehicle once in a while
> jb
Dan Davis

Re: Anyone owns a Dodge Durango?

Post by Dan Davis »

Rob;

I have a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500. I'm not sure if they have the same transmission or not, but I had tranny & rear end failure at 120,000 miles. The tranny never shifted right from the day I got it new. I have since heard many horror stories about Dodge and the weak transmissions. On the other hand, things are going to wear out and break at 120,000, so all things considered it has been pretty good. I know someone who bought a "Hemi" last year and they love it. Good luck.

Dan
John Barron

I forgot on purpose

Post by John Barron »

Good luck at the Delta!
jb