What Batteries do you run????

battman

What Batteries do you run????

Post by battman »

I want to get some feedback on what Batteries are being ran in your Boats, and what is the life expectancy??

For Research purposes!!

Thanks to all

Charlie
Charlie Evans

www.batterysystems.net
www.centennialbattery.com
www.trojanbattery.com
www.dualpro.com
www.northstarbattery.com
www.rollsbattery.com
www.DobynsRods.com
Odyssey Batteries/Trolling Thunder Batteries
Scott D.

Re: What Batteries do you run????

Post by Scott D. »

AC Delco, and they last about 3 years.
Navy Chief proudly serving to protect this great nation. God Bless America
BassinFever

Post by BassinFever »

Sorry Delco, But I now use Trojans and to quote your add. "NO OTHER BATTERIES GET ON BOARD MY BOAT"!
So much tackle, so little money!
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

I am running everstart
- JaJa Jigs - Get THUNKED
Links to Check Out -
https://www.instagram.com/jm_ash/
https://www.bestbasstournaments.com/
Skeeterman

Post by Skeeterman »

I use Trojans
MIKE TREMONT

Post by MIKE TREMONT »

I've run the Interstates the last 2 sets. First set lasted 2.5 years, I wasn't thrilled but I got them wholesale. The second set lasted 4.5 years. They just died this weekend and I just got done ordering a set of Delco's because of all the good chattert I heard here and other places. I really hope they do better than 3 years.

So BassinFever, how long does a set of Trojans last? I got a quote that was $28 more per batt x 3 batts, but with the same replacement warranty. If they are that good then they are worth the extra bucks, so I'm really interested how long they last, thanks.
I had to come back...I know...
L.Hackney

Post by L.Hackney »

BassinFever wrote:Sorry Delco, But I now use Trojans and to quote your add. "NO OTHER BATTERIES GET ON BOARD MY BOAT"!
Ha,Ha, that's good !!!

I run Tojan's and like them. My last pair lasted about 3 years. They were taking a seriuos beating also, fishing tournaments and pre-fishing. That boat was in the water every weekend and some week days.
The only other bats. I ever ran were Interstate, didn't have a problem with them but they seemed to need replacing more often.... (about 2 1/2 years)
http://basscat.com/

http://mossdale-boats.com/

http://placervilleflyfishing.com/

http://luckydoginc.net/

http://www.eyesurrenderonline.com/
Big Rick KFOG

Post by Big Rick KFOG »

Powerstride Marine Deep Cycle

American Battery in Hayward always has really good deals on them at the Oakland Boat shows every year. The guy that runs the place is a big boater.

They are a great value, and last as long as other name batteries I've used. I also use a Flow-Rite gizmo to easily add water to them.

So far so good on boats, cars, motorcycles...
Big Rick Stuart
KFOG FM 4-10 pm
SF CA

"I'm going out to fish," Simon Peter told them, and they said, "We'll go with you." So they went out and got into the boat, but that night they caught nothing.

"OK guys, Who brought the banana?"
Thad O.

Post by Thad O. »

Hi Charlie. I currently have a Costco/Kirkland cranking battery (had to buy one in a pinch, and was at Costco) but so far seems to be a good battery.
Then I have three of your Centennial (group 27's?) batts for the trolling motor. I replaced those several months ago when the other three went dead on me. I bought my boat used and it came with 4 matching Centennials. So when I went to replace them, I just decided to go with the same brand. The one thing that was different was that the first set (that came with the boat) were the type that you had to check and add water to periodically. Then when I went and picked up the new set, they are "maintenance free". At first that sort of worried me, but so far they seem to be holding up extremely well. KNOCK ON WOOD. Anyhow, I kept the receipt in the boat so the jury's still out as to how long they will last.
Ralph Harkins came to our club meeting several weeks ago and gave us some GREAT tips on battery use/care. He's a great promoter for your company, and is extremely well informed. cya
Smile_n_Jax

Post by Smile_n_Jax »

One of my trolling batteries is an Interstate Megatron 750 MCA and it is 7 years old. Granted it's weak, doesn't take a full charge, but it's still doing its thing. I'm sure it will have to be replaced soon.

I'm a retired automotive technician and, over the years, I have had numerous Interstate batteries in my cars and trucks which have lasted well over the average life span of most batteries.

I also know that the life expectancy of trolling batteries is greatly shortened by the way the are commonly used. They're run down and then charged up. Batteries really don't like that. They would much rather like to be kept at close to full charge as much as possible.

For that reason, I would strongly recommend to anyone who wants to prolong the life of their batteries that they look into on-board, truck connected systems such as StaynCharge or Stealth1. Both of these systems will keep your batteries at optimal charge while either towing your boat or running the big motor.

And you won't have to go looking for an AC plug-in.
Jax Keilman
"I may be crazy, but it's kept me from going insane" - Waylon Jennings
'89 Stratos 269V, 90HP Yamaha. Small, but I love it.
kb

Post by kb »

Hey Charlie I run the Dual Pro batteries with a Dual Pro 4 bank charger. I get them from Battery Systems but you probably already knew that :lol: :lol: :lol:

Never had a battery issue since going to the dual pro batteries 5 years ago, never need water and they are the strongest battery I have ever used.

kb
Cooch

EverStarts from WallMart

Post by Cooch »

3- 24DC-6s run my trolling motors
1- 24MS-6 cranking battery

They come with a 2 year warrenty. It's a two part deal, free replacement the first 12 months, and a pro-rated replacement the next 12 months.

My boat is on the water no less than 22 days a month, all day. It will get 1-3 hours a day when not with clients. My batteries take a beating and are used far more than the average bass angler. Over the years since 1989 when I purchased my first boat, I've used Interstates, AC Delco's, Trojans, Exide, DieHards, DuraLast, MotorCraft and Optima. None of them have given me the satisfaction and reliability of that which I git from the EverStarts.

It's odd, because I believe the OEM of Everstart is Johnson Controls Inc, and they also make the DieHards, DuraLast, MotoCraft and Optima. Maybe it's due to the higher technology we use today with our charging systems. No matter what it is, I've been using the Everstarts now fer 8 years, and have had no reason to mess with other battery vendors like in the past. Also, for me, cost and convienience is a huge factor. No matter where I am fishing accross the US, if I got a battery problem, I just go find a Wal-Mart. Are there better batteries? I'm sure there are. I've just found a comfort zone with the EverStarts.
Sacto John

Re: EverStarts from WallMart

Post by Sacto John »

I use Everstarts as well. I don't think you can find a better battery for the price. The fact that you can replace them within 12 months is nice as well, my last set of batteries I took in a week before the 12 months was up ant the local Wal-Mart replaced them no questions asked.
Johnny C

Delco Voyagers and this is why

Post by Johnny C »

I have used almost all of the others mentioned except the Dual Pros...I just replaced my Delcos after three years and I fish alot. These batteries are maintenance free and have a built in charge indicator. Can't be more easier than this. I run four of them.
http://www.dobynsrods.com
Gator

Post by Gator »

Everstarts -

In my truck and in my boat. All 4 in the boat are Everstarts and have only had one problem, when I was in Florida for 6 months and my wife thought she would "save some money" by unplugging my onboard charger. Well, it cost me a battery and a trip to WalMart but nothing else. They replaced it no questions asked. As Cooch said, it is a good feeling knowing that I only have to go as far as my nearest WalMart to get a replacement if needed.
MIKE TREMONT

Post by MIKE TREMONT »

Now you guys got me second guessing myself!

I think Exide is the manfacturer for those Everstarts. I'll have to check them out next time.

I'd still like to hear from someone reguarding any of these "super" batts. I got no problem spending the extra dollars as long as there is some bang for the buck, please share....
sykofish

Post by sykofish »

I have a set of Roll's that are on there 11th season.

It's not years that makes a good battery, it's cycles. In other words how many times you discharge and then recharge your batteries. I get out about 50 times a year, so I have over 500 cycles on my Roll's.

And that is all river fishing on the Columbia.
Gary Dobyns

Trojans or Dual Pros

Post by Gary Dobyns »

These batterys will not let you down if they are maintained. I ran Everstarts for years simply because they were an OEM product to Ranger Boats. I am lucky enough to staff for Ranger and turn my boats in about 9 months. I never made it a season with Everstarts. If you stand on them covering water and really work them hard, they will fail after a while. This was my experience for 3 straight years. Their warrenty and price is awesome. I hate to worry about batteries ( they always go bad at the worst time), and hate changing them out worse. I have never had a problem with a Trojan or Dual Pro.
Hughsonbassin

Post by Hughsonbassin »

I am not completely familiar with the everstart line of deep cylces but are pretty sure they are made by johnson controls for the most part. There other batteries I have seen been made from everywhere from delco, exide, and Johnson controls but those have mostly been car batteries. As long as you stay away from exide you will be ok after that it is all about price and warranty. I run Interstate cause I get them at wholesale and I do have great luck with them but if I had to pay retail probably would go to wal mart or costco.
350V RGR

Post by 350V RGR »

I have 4 Interstate SRM 27's. They are middle of the pack for there marine batteries. 12 month free replace--30 month pro-rate replace.

I totally agree Smile_N_Jax the onboard charging systems that have been discused on this site. IMHO are the way things will be heading.

The Interstates came with a packaged 07 Ranger.
Will Mathers (the Beav)
1/75th Rangers 84-87
Iraq 03-04 88M
Z21 DC All American package
250 V Max HPDI
Swing on a tap to set!!!
Big Rick KFOG

Post by Big Rick KFOG »

sykofish wrote:I have a set of Roll's that are on there 11th season.

It's not years that makes a good battery, it's cycles. In other words how many times you discharge and then recharge your batteries. I get out about 50 times a year, so I have over 500 cycles on my Roll's.

And that is all river fishing on the Columbia.
Wow Rolls on a fishing boat! Pretty cool! They are (I think) pretty much considered the best for serious blue water crusing. Their deep cycle batteries have a 7 (!) year warranty. That's their low end line!
Big Rick Stuart
KFOG FM 4-10 pm
SF CA

"I'm going out to fish," Simon Peter told them, and they said, "We'll go with you." So they went out and got into the boat, but that night they caught nothing.

"OK guys, Who brought the banana?"
Mark Hiser

Post by Mark Hiser »

Well, you got the best there is, but what was your initial outlay? I looked into them and could buy three sets of Trojan grp 31's and still not spend as much [ thats 4 batteries at a time]. They are certainly the best I've ever heard about, but man you better bring your mastercard :D How heavy are yours?

Mark Hiser
Ralph Harkins

Post by Ralph Harkins »

I run Trojan Batteries. They are the best. They can handle 910 cycles while the exide will only do 400 cycles. Yes they cost more but as you can see they will last a lot longer.
www.tritonboats.com
www.reactioninnovations.com
www.galaxiemarine.com
www.dobynsrods.com
drrakruz

Re: EverStarts from WallMart

Post by drrakruz »

INTERSTATE SEALED GEL MAINTENANCE-FREE ALL THE WAY!! Charging ASAP after fishing is critical. I've gone two days straight without recharching with the Interstates with plenty to go on the second day. 36 Volts and the highest volt T-Motor means less amperage drain on the batteries. Don't overlook battery hold-downs. Batteries take a heck of a beating on the road, not only in your tow-vehicle, but in the boat ON and OFF the road as well--Especially if you fished CLEAR LAKE with a ROOKIE GUIDE!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Tom Proffitt

Post by Tom Proffitt »

NAPA Gold, check them out. I have four in my boat and three in my RV. They hold a charge and do not take along time to recharge.
sykofish

Post by sykofish »

Mark Hiser wrote:Well, you got the best there is, but what was your initial outlay? I looked into them and could buy three sets of Trojan grp 31's and still not spend as much [ thats 4 batteries at a time]. They are certainly the best I've ever heard about, but man you better bring your mastercard :D How heavy are yours?

Mark Hiser
You get what you pay for. The group 27's sell for 150.00 each, definetly not cheap. I think the group 31's sell for around 190.00 each.

I look at it as a long term investment. You can spend 150.00 for 2 batteries every 2 to 3 years, or spend 300.00 every 10 plus years. Do the math!

I am running 2 group 27's on a 80lb thrust Motorguide. So I am not sure what the group 31's are selling for at this time. I know the 27's are 150.00 each, because I just bought 2 more for my drift boat.

As far as weight? I think the 24's are 70lbs each, definetly not light. But your talking maybe a 5 to 7lb difference over the other manufactures. To me that was not important, I wanted long life and to be able to fish in the wind and current all day with no worries.
BASSNUTZ247

Post by BASSNUTZ247 »

trojan on the trolling motor,everstart on the big motor
not4un

Post by not4un »

I have optimas have been in boat now 2 yrs and no decline in performance so far
Bob Simard

Trojans.......

Post by Bob Simard »

......they were my favorite in highschool-college in "another product offering" and stuck with them in batteries (okay - different company but I also am doing some marketing and product name-recognition is key, e.g. kleenex-tissue, Q-tip, ear cleaner thing, Trojan,.....)

I run them now in my 520. I've ran Interstates before but particularly in rough water or May bed fishing, hold that wide body on a spot in rough water or pulling her through tulles really sucks the juice out of a bank of batteries... and few things are worse then being out of juice at 1 o'clock on game day.
BassinFever

Post by BassinFever »

MIKE TREMONT wrote: So BassinFever, how long does a set of Trojans last?
I haven`t had a set long enough to tell, I seem to trade boats off to often lately. I buy them for there power reserve, I just can't run them down in two days of beating them to death.

I have two 31's and one starting battery. I put them in when I got this boat I have now. Unknown to me, the charger that was in the boat wasn`t working properly. It took me a month to find that out and I fished quite a few times durring that period. Bad thing was that I found out durring a tournament. Everything is up and running again, but they sure lasted a long time before I found out.
So much tackle, so little money!
MIKE TREMONT

Post by MIKE TREMONT »

I use to run the Interstates I had two days in the current without a recharge. I'm sure the 101 had something to do with that as well.

I just had the Delco's I ordered delivered. The warranty is better than the Interstates and they are sealed as well. I just bought a new hydrometer for looks I guess.

Well I'll see how these treat me until the next time. I'm still in the dark as to if my charger is operating properly. Last time I lost the batts one of the banks on my Dual Pro went bad as well, I'll find out tonight after work if I'm buying a new charger again-wish me luck.
Hughsonbassin

Post by Hughsonbassin »

Don't let those pesky delco's fool you they look like they are sealed but they are still a wet cell battery and if you overheat them they will still piss acid all over your boat! If you look closely on the sides there is a vent on either end.
MIKE TREMONT

Post by MIKE TREMONT »

Yea I saw that vent, man I've only heard good things about the
Delco's until this thread? I don't think I have to worry about over chraging them with my unit. It only puts out 6+ amps per bank. I figured that would make the batts last a little longer. Like I stated earlier the last set went 4.5 years, pretty good from what I'm reading and I get out quite a bit.

I like the sounds of those Roll's, but the weight factor scares me. I quit working out 2 years ago and have put on thirty pounds of lard. I've also lost a couple hundred RPM on the big motor, so I got to pack as light as possible :lol: .

There mine now, so we'll see what happens
Mark Hiser

Post by Mark Hiser »

Thats alot cheaper than the price I was given several years back. It was more like $ 300.00 per battery and I ran 3 at the time, But the fella did say they would give 600 full cycles if I remember correctly. They are certainly fine products.

Mark Hiser
sykofish

Post by sykofish »

I dont know who you talked to Mark, but I can promise you they dont sell for 300.00, not the 27's or 31's any way.

I dont want to break any board rules by posting non sponsor info, if you want to know where I get mine, just send me a pm.
fishwithron2

Post by fishwithron2 »

Use to buy Stowaway size 31 from Sam's for $65. They now only carry everstart with 3 year warranty. Stowaway is handle exclusive by Napa only and the charge $82.