Minnkota 101 Question?

Jarod Ballardo

Minnkota 101 Question?

Post by Jarod Ballardo »

I have a 101 that's a 2001 model. The problem I'm having with it is that when I set the dial on 40 for example and press down on the pedal the motor sometimes varies in thrust instead of staying at a constant? I also sometimes have problems with the button sticking.
Thanks,
Jarod Ballardo
Ron

Re: Minnkota 101 Question?

Post by Ron »

Jarod,
I am not sure what you mean when you say it varies in thrust, but did you know it is designed to "ramp up", in other words no matter what setting you have it at the motor is not an "off or on" type like a motorguide but rather it quickly builds up to the setting selected, it's called a "soft start" I know for sure about the other problem have and it is a bad micro switch. They are easy to change and Gene at the hook carries them
Dave T.

Hey Jarrod...

Post by Dave T. »

With the first problem, you may have old line and weeds built up inside the prop creating resistence. Remove the prop and clean it out (maybe).
Jarod Ballardo

Post by Jarod Ballardo »

What it's doing is ramping up and down while continuously holding down on the button. I have changed the micro switch before and will try changing again. I took off the prop before my last trip and cleaned it out but will check one more time.
Thanks Again,
Jarod Ballardo
richie hamilton

Re: dude! call the "master"

Post by richie hamilton »

Jay Liu, 510 794-4089. Old # but I bet it forwards to shasta. RR
gb

Post by gb »

>Jarrad it sounds like you have a control board acting up on you it needs to be replaced. The new Control boards come with a magnetic micro switch which will eliminate your micro switch sticking. For those of you with Motorguides they have also came out with new micro switches to eliminate the sticking. I have just received the new ones for anyone interested. I have them at The Hook in Oakley. 925-625-2441. Good Luck

I have a 101 that's a 2001 model. The
> problem I'm having with it is that when I
> set the dial on 40 for example and press
> down on the pedal the motor sometimes varies
> in thrust instead of staying at a constant?
> I also sometimes have problems with the
> button sticking.
> Thanks,
> Jarod Ballardo
JLS (Jay Liu's Service)

Post by JLS (Jay Liu's Service) »

Jarod

If your motor is less then 3 years old, it is under warranty. They have a new style board that does not use a micro switch. As far as the surging, it can be in the board or in the motor. If you live close to the Redding area, you can bring it to me.

Good fishing

Jay Liu’s Service. Phone # 530 246-8051

> I have a 101 that's a 2001 model. The
> problem I'm having with it is that when I
> set the dial on 40 for example and press
> down on the pedal the motor sometimes varies
> in thrust instead of staying at a constant?
> I also sometimes have problems with the
> button sticking.
> Thanks,
> Jarod Ballardo
Jarod Ballardo

Post by Jarod Ballardo »

Thanks for all the great responses. Once again, these type of things always seem to happen at the worst times.
Thanks Again,
Jarod Ballardo