Jackplates and props

Steven

Jackplates and props

Post by Steven »

I'm thinking about getting a jackplate to boost up some speed on my 91 Javelin with a 175 johnson fast strike on it. It has a four sided prop on it. It runs about 62 mph max speed on the water. Not sure if a new jackplate or prop will make it go faster. Any ideas will help.

Thanks,
Steven
Tobe

Re: Jackplates and props

Post by Tobe »

>Hi Steven,

Try bass boat central online, look for setups, it may help ya out.
Tobe

Post by Tobe »

>Hi Steven,

Try bass boat central online, look for setups, it may help ya out.
Ron

Post by Ron »

To start with you need to take note of your RPM at WOT and water pressure. Compare your max RPM to the manufacturer's max rating to see if you are in the ball bark. You may already be there, if not the two things to look at are engine height and or a prop change. You can make a general assumption relating to engine height from the water pressure reading you get, once again if your water pressure is near the recommended levels then your engine height is probably close enough, however if you have an abundance of water pressure at WOT then you could safely raise your motor. Now back to the max RPM, if you are not near that number then you might want to look at trying some other props. Check with your local boat repair shops, they will often have loaners you can try. How is your hole shot now? Empty and loaded? As you can see there are many things to consider. On this web site there is an article all about boat set up, I recommend you read it. Sorry for the long post :)
Steven

Post by Steven »

Tobe,

Thanks for the idea. I'll look into it.

Ron,

I have gone to the max rpm. The water level is about there. I raise the engine up the get the max speed. I think I'm just stuck with the max speed but I will try new props to see if it will work. A buddy of mine has a skeeter with a 150 johnson fast stike on it. His can go up to 69 MPH with an 8 inch jackplate on it. I wasn't sure if the jackplate made a difference on it or not. My prop is a old and a little beat up. I will ask a local repair shop and try a new prop to see how it runs. Thanks for the heads up.

Steven
Ron

Post by Ron »

Steven,
Yes a jack plate will help your performance but the easy answer is your prop. A prop is not like the wheel on your truck, if you tap a curb and ding or bend your truck wheel it's not that big a deal, not so with a prop. Props are so sensitive that many people have props tuned and pitched when they are brand new. I have a very good friend who has had great success with a certain tuner, Rich Boger "Boger Kustom Props" do a search and you should find him, once you do shoot him an email and he will give you the straight scoop.
CORAL 96

Post by CORAL 96 »

Get a hold of Rich Boger at bogerprops.com. He is the master when it comes to proper prop and plate set-up. He has set up so many different boats that he can "ballpark" your set-up, then for more speed, he can work his magic on your prop. He hangs out a lot on the Bass fishing homepage in the prop section where folks ask set-up ??'s. Good place to start.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Thanks alot for the ideas guys. I think I will look him up and see how it goes because I know I can get more speed out of it.

Thanks again to all.

Steven
Jim Conlow Sr.

typically the 4 blade will give you a better hole shot

Post by Jim Conlow Sr. »

the three blade will give you higher speed than the 4 blade. It is not a dramatic change perhaps 2 miles an hour or a little more. With an adjustable jack plate you can raise or lower the engine to get the optimum prop depth for your boat. All of your testing should be done with the boat loaded with people and tackle the same as it will be during your typical usage. If your current prop is a 23 pitch and you are coming up against the max rpm and still have some throttle left you may want to experiment with a higher pitched prop. A 24" pitch wil mean that you will basically travel 1 inch further per prop revlolution and therefor will be faster, but it could be that you motor will not pull the higher pitched prop to the max rpms which it is capable of.
I think that all of the advise that you have received here is good valid stuff.

Jim

> I'm thinking about getting a jackplate to
> boost up some speed on my 91 Javelin with a
> 175 johnson fast strike on it. It has a four
> sided prop on it. It runs about 62 mph max
> speed on the water. Not sure if a new
> jackplate or prop will make it go faster.
> Any ideas will help.

> Thanks,
> Steven