Dobyns Rod question

Bassin

Dobyns Rod question

Post by Bassin »

Looking to buy a Dobyns Jerkbait/Crank rod. I want this rod for 80% Jerkbaits/20% Med.- Deep Cranking. I am considering the 705CB Glass, 705CB or 706CB. Which would be the best choice for what I am looking for?

Thanks....
NaCl

Gary will be back in town next week....

Post by NaCl »

Gary is the expert. I suspect he'll have some great insight on your choices next week.

.....NaCl
Bassin

Re: Dobyns Rod question

Post by Bassin »

Let me try this question again....

Thanks....
Ralph Harkins

Post by Ralph Harkins »

From what I was told by gary get the 705cb Glass. But might want to wait till the expert gets back on here to buy it.
www.tritonboats.com
www.reactioninnovations.com
www.galaxiemarine.com
www.dobynsrods.com
Corey Fenske

Post by Corey Fenske »

I have been fishing with prototypes for about six months now. I like the 705cb for jerkbaits/ crankbaits. It is a little lite for DD22's, but if you had to it would work.This rod is perfect for a staysee, pointer 100, speed trap, deep little N. This rod is a good all around reaction bait rod. It will even through a vixen or sammy very well. A super spook is too heavy. If you only had one rod for this, I would get the 705 cb.

I'm not saying the glass rod is not a good choice, I have been a glass guy forever. I build my own to get what I want. But once I fished with the graphite rods that were designed for reaction baits, I was sold. They are lighter, just as much power, and way more sensitive. I think they are more accurate in the casting dept. as well.

I hope I have aswered you questions. If not, send them out , and I will try to help.
Gary Dobyns

Post by Gary Dobyns »

Corey answered just as I would have. I believe you would like the 705CB. It is a true mod-fast action, made with graphite. If you try a graphite cranking rod, most fisherman will give up glass. For the die hard glass guys we are making a few models here also. Thanks.
bassenvy

Post by bassenvy »

ay Gary what is the difference between single/dual footed guides? and where are they best suited for casting?

also might you be able to recommend anyone in the bay to either replace ceramic eyelets or wrap a few new guides. I have a few rods kistler,loomis,and Competitive Edge rods that need it.

thanks
Gary Dobyns

Post by Gary Dobyns »

Single foot guides are not as strong, but they weigh a lot less. They are used more in the tip sections. There is a place for both. As far as where to get guides replaced in the bay area, I really don't know. I'd bet the farm that if you was to give Jona at Hi's Tackle or Jon Walton at Walton's Pond a call they could fix you up.
fishercurtis

Post by fishercurtis »

Another ?, I saw the DX 705C at the Hook in Oakley and it looks like it would do everything I want. I pitch more often than I flip, I primarily fish the delta, through alot of jigs and t rigs with heavier weights(1/2 oz. and up.). Would this also do for pitching frogs or maybe throwing a big topwater bait for stripes in the winter? Also like Air jordans shoes can it make me fish like you? :wink: Fathers day is coming and I gotta be specific.
Curtis
It's All About the Hook up
Esin Restaurant & Bar, Revel Kitchen & Bar
bassrman

Post by bassrman »

buy american dude!....these rods are made in china !,just like the powell!.....
bassenvy

Post by bassenvy »

Gary Dobyns wrote:Single foot guides are not as strong, but they weigh a lot less. They are used more in the tip sections. There is a place for both. As far as where to get guides replaced in the bay area, I really don't know. I'd bet the farm that if you was to give Jona at Hi's Tackle or Jon Walton at Walton's Pond a call they could fix you up.
thanks Gary. I appreciate your feedback and will give Johny a call. Once the boat gets out the shop I'll be holding one of your rods 8)
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

Are not Powell blanks made in China and then assembled in the USA ? :o
Fun fishing the country, each and every week.
Phil

Post by Phil »

I agree with giving up the glass rod for the Graphite for cranking. I did and you soon learn and feel so much more. I don't even own a glass rod anymore except the one on the wall for memories.

JIGS
Gary Dobyns

Post by Gary Dobyns »

You are right on both counts. Dobyns Rods and the other one are made 100% in China. I have never tried to hide that. I believe honesty is by far the best policy. I will tell you this, I can get my China factory to do a lot of extras for me such as flex testing blanks as often as I like during the building process, tight quality control and a lot more I choose to keep to myself. I worked in a maufacturing facility for 19 years. I worked with a lot of different factories as a start up "trainer" guy, for a couple of years. Some "damn few" factories in China are better than I ever saw here in the states. I don't like this fact, it's just the truth. I am glad you only buy Made in the USA. What brand of reels do you use?? Tennis shoes?? Television?? Car?? Camera?? Lures?? How about that fishing hat you wear?? I'll let you think up some more on your own. My finger is getting tired. :) :)
StockOption

Post by StockOption »

bassrman wrote:buy american dude!....these rods are made in china !,just like the powell!.....
And how are we as consumers supposed to get a superior product produced if we blindly "buy american"? I work hard for my $$$ and I will spend it on the best product produced be that American, Japanese, Chinese, Korean...etc. Basing a purchasing decision solely on country of origin is foolish in todays global economy. The best product gets my money each and everytime. Not buying American makes a lot more sense in some cases, it forces the American manufacturer to compete and actually produce a better product.
Kurt
NaCl

"My finger is getting tired."....which one? LOL!

Post by NaCl »

Sorry bout the bad joke. What can I say, I have poor impulse control! Hmmmm....wonder if that's why I have so damn many kids?

Anyway, "Buy American" is a great sound bite but it ain't real. Illegal immigrants harvested a lot of the food we eat. A lot of the gas we put in our "American made" bass boats is from a bunch of anti-America middle east countries. And, what about the Japanese? When Honda became the standard for quality control in the automotive industry Detroit followed...kicking and screaming all the way. Back then, "Buy American" meant "buy junk"!

I am a guitar collector. One of the best American Fender guitars I own was made in....Japan! Steve Wall of the Beer Dawgs loves a little Telecaster he bought that was made in Mexico. These guitars were NOT knock-offs. They were fully licensed productions by Fender Guitar company. Why? They could produce a better product at a lower price. The AMERICAN consumer won! And, that's exactly what Gary did with his Dobyns Rods....he built a better rod at a lower price.

What do you expect from a quality rod? First, you expect high end components...quality blanks (the specs on Gary's blanks are a carefully guarded secret but EVERY Dobyns Rod is built to exacting specs for the intended aplication), the best guides (Fuji...that's a Japanese name if you haven't figured it out), Portugese cork (last time I checked Porto-gee's are not American), quality finishing materials. Then, you address the manufacturing process. Rods should be built on the spine...all Dobyns Rods are built on the spine. This is something that you just don't find in most "production" rods. The spacing and number of guides is carefully matched to the action of the rod. Even the thread for mounting the guides uses a special "locking" technique so it will never unravel. The finish coats are among the best in the industry and then, you back up these rods with a strong warranty.

There IS one problem with using Chinese factories to build these rods. It's on-going quality control. The Chinese will lower their standards in a heartbeat if they think they can get away with it. That's where Gary's management is the key. He will NOT accept any substanard product. He regularly tests rods from each shipment and makes sure the quality he demands is there. Back in December, Gary refused an entire shipment because of one small flaw he spotted. Boy, he pissed off a bunch of Chinese! I understand they even added an symbol to Mandarin language that translates "BDO is a butthead"!

Seriously, Dobyns Rods are the closest thing I have ever seen to a custom rod at a production rod price. As long as Gary keeps pissing off the Chinese, the rods will continue to be the best buy on the market. By the way, the Chinese do NOT make the majority to the profit on Dobyns Rods. The majority of the profit is made by Americans! The pro-shops, shippers, stock clerks, accountants at Lamiglas, investors...all Americans...and they are earning an American-living by selling a better product at a lower price. Sounds like good ole American capitalism to me!

.....NaCl
Bassin

Post by Bassin »

Thanks for the replies....I will take your advice....Now if I can just get one before I leave for the Clear Lake WON Pro/Am next week....
Bill Cook

Post by Bill Cook »

Bryan- contact Gene at the Hook. I bet he can get you one. Jim at Pro Bass in Paso might have them as well.
See you at Clear Lake.

Bill Cook
Dobyns Rods

Made in the USA - lets look a little deeper

Post by Guest »

My finger is getting tired.
Now that is funny right there!

Hey Gary - if you keep spending time on this website your going to have that one finger 3/4 of an inch shorter than the rest from all that typing!

As for the the made in the USA thing... This may not be the most popular answer but, I too would rather buy made in the USA products.... HOWEVER, I am not going to spend extra to buy made in the USA products nor sacrafice the quality of the products I buy to buy made in the USA.

Honestly, if a company wants to survive because of people's loyalty to the USA instead of making a superior product for the same or less money then they have no business being in business anyway! So I will buy the best product for the best price available regardless of where it is made. Now in a case of a tie or near tie... in quality and cost... then I'll buy the American made product!

With that said... IMHO, both rod companies mention Dobyns and Powell make superior products for the money to any USA manufacturered products that I have found. Also, sure there are a few people in China making money of off making these rods... but, the majority of your dollar is going to the owners of the company, the distributors of the product, the shipping companies who ship it to the stores and the stores themselves... which are all Americans!

For example - These numbers are a guess, I have no factual figures to base this on! Lets say you spend $200 on a new rod. To build that rod in china the manufacturer may pay lets say $50... You spent $200.... so only 25% of your money is going to China the other 75% is staying right here in the USA! And Gary uses it to buy Donuts and I love Gary Dobyns stickers (sorry Gary couldn't resist) and Powell uses it for whatever Keith likes to buy! Same for the tackle shop owners who pay American Employees to run the store and/or build the websites. Truth be told - $50 may even be a high number so it could be a lot less than 25%. If you truly want to be pro-usa... then get a hybrid car and use less gas. i bet most of us spend more money overseas from your gas tank in a month than we do all year from tackle, rod and reel purchases!!
Ray Vanacore

Re: Made in the USA - lets look a little deeper

Post by Ray Vanacore »

Also. Correct me if i'm wrong, but didn't Gary Design the powell rods in the begining.
Ray Vanacore
bassenvy

Re: "My finger is getting tired."....which one? L

Post by bassenvy »

NaCl wrote: There IS one problem with using Chinese factories to build these rods. It's on-going quality control. The Chinese will lower their standards in a heartbeat if they think they can get away with it. That's where Gary's management is the key.
.....NaCl

you hit the nail on the head! I used to be a regional manager for a furniture wholesale importer. We used to bring in a 40' container a month from China that would average from $35k-$50k. I'd have to unwrap and investigate each piece before bringing it into the showroom. This was a painstaking process but was a necessity given I was commission based and dead stock meant wasted space. After many failed attempts at getting what we wanted the end result was to base someone in Asia to monitor our exports from China and Indonesia. This had a huge impact on our quality control and we started to restore faith in our retailers.

In this day and age with outsourcing as well as illegal immigrant insourcing. The government has kept the economy flowing. If they were to put excessive tariffs and taxes on imported goods or people (soon to come) we'd be force fed over priced merchandise so people could pay for their overpriced homes and lifestyle.
Lance

Post by Lance »

Sorry NaCl,
One of the best American Fender guitars I own was made in....Japan
You will never be able to sell that as a American Fender, its a Jananese Fender.

I will take my American made Fender Fat Strat over a Mexican or Japanese model any day of the week. Mexican and Japanese models might be "approved" by Fender, but the action on a American made guitar is what sets them apart, not to mention American made guitars hold their value as to where the Mexican and Japanese plummit. :D

Got any 56 Strats laying around???
Friendship is like peeing in your pants, everyone can see it, but only you can feel the true warmth.
NaCl

Post by NaCl »

Lance,

The model is "American" Strat and I would never try to sell a foreign made guitar as American-made. And, you're wrong about the playability. I own a '67 original Fender Strat (bought it new in '67) and a black face Twin Reverb purchased the same year. It still has the original foot switch and tilt legs but needs tubes. In addition, I have a Les Paul ('72), a Tele Thinline ('72), several Strats from '75 to 85 and numerous late model "re-issues" including a Fat Strat (American made), a SRV re-issue (American made), two Teles (one Mexican and one Japan made) and an Epiphone "Les Paul". I use the cheaper guitars as players while the more valuable guitars are on display and only played once in a while.

Oh yeah, I also own a Marshall stack and a Line 6 "modeling" amp which is my practice amp. I have dozens of effects pedals including a couple that date back to the late '60's. Although, I've stopped using most of the pedals since I picked up a Boss GT-8 processor.

Point is, I know my guitars and I enjoy playing that cheap Japanese Fender as much as any of my other guitars. It has great action, superb tone (I replaced the stock pick-ups with a new Fender noiseless set). Most important, I can take it anywhere without worrying about whether is gets damaged or about letting other guys play it...I NEVER let other guys play my true vintage guitars.

.....NaCl
bassenvy

Post by bassenvy »

NaCl wrote:Lance,

I own a '67 original Fender Strat (bought it new in '67) and a black face Twin Reverb purchased the same year.
.....NaCl
Man that's the setup right there!

I had a '52 Gibson ES-125 I got from an old co-worker who was the original owner. Man that thing was cherry with no fret wear! Sad thing was it had a seriously high action and used to feedback like no other. I've had an on/off relationship with playing and have settled into some cheaper copies with custom pickups one of which is a nice early 80's Fernandez Strat copy that the original owner will not stop buggin' me about 8)
DeltaDan

Post by DeltaDan »

I own a Chinese rod .......... Several if I am not mistaken. Own one of those highly recomended ones even- and love it !

Bought some combo rods/reels for the boys last Valentines Day. -- Yes they were cheap... and from Walmart.... ---------Wife made me return her's for some reason. Image

The spinning reel broke on a fight yesterday on one of the boys fish. Gears just plain stripped out it looks like. ......... Will Walmart even exchange it? -- After all Shakesphere is american made ...... Isin't it?

Or did I get forked over again........... :roll:

...... I placed an order into Extream Outdoors earlier this month for my son's birthday presant at the end of June for a rod that was manufactured in China. :wink: (to top it off as he wishes -- He will have to dig into his own bank that is to come on his day with other family participants. 8) )
You know, we always called each other goodfellas. Like, you'd say to somebody: "You're gonna like this guy; he's all right. He's a goodfella. He's one of us." You understand? We were goodfellas, wiseguys.

[b]Team LL [/b] (2006 ~ And Beyond !! )
fishercurtis

Question on Dobyns Rod

Post by fishercurtis »

Yeah kinda back to what I asked. i am seriously considering the DX 705C and really want to know for pitching frogs or a super spook if this would be a good choice. I would be using it to pitch jigs and t rigs as well. BTW I don't really care where it is made, that fact is it is supporting a local business man and fellow angler. That is what we should be doing. That is American.
Curtis
It's All About the Hook up
Esin Restaurant & Bar, Revel Kitchen & Bar
NaCl

Re: Question on Dobyns Rod

Post by NaCl »

Curtis,

I am partial to the DX 734C (7'3", 1pc, 10-20lb, 1/4-1oz, Hvy Fast Action Spinnerbaits, Buzzbaits, Senkos, Horny Toad Casting Rod ) for the applications you mentioned. The extra length provides a little more "reach" for flipping, pitching and longer casts with a spook. The "4" power provides plenty of hook setting power but the rod is flexible enough to offer better action when working a spook or "walking" a frog in open water. Also, the extra length moves more line on a hookset which I find to be very important when setting a hook while using a C-rig. The bottom line is both rods will get the job done so you need to hold them both and see which feels right in your hands. I'd suggest you bring your favorite reel to the store and actually "feel" the rod in proper balance with the reel of your choice. That critical balance will ultimately make the difference between a fun day of successful fishing or a tiring day of overcoming an unbalanced rod/reel combo.

.....NaCl
DeltaDan

Post by DeltaDan »

NaCl wrote: I am partial to the DX 734C (7'3", 1pc, 10-20lb, 1/4-1oz, Hvy Fast Action Spinnerbaits, Buzzbaits, Senkos, Horny Toad Casting Rod )
Dats da rod I ordered for Luke for his birthday !! :D
You know, we always called each other goodfellas. Like, you'd say to somebody: "You're gonna like this guy; he's all right. He's a goodfella. He's one of us." You understand? We were goodfellas, wiseguys.

Lance

Post by Lance »

NaCl,

I'll have to agree to disagree about the playability of a import vs. an American made Fender.

67 original Fender Strat and a Les Paul ('72), very nice 8)

The SRV re-issue (American made), its to bad its not a true reproduction to Stevie's number one, but I understand its a decent guitar.

Have you tried PRS guitars?

Oh wait :roll: I understand the 703 are great, I'm still waiting to try the C-Rig Rod. Byron when you get this rod let me check it out for a week or so :D
Friendship is like peeing in your pants, everyone can see it, but only you can feel the true warmth.
Gary Dobyns

Post by Gary Dobyns »

Sorry I missed this earlier fishercurtis. If you want a 7 footer the 705C is your best bet. It is a little light for frogs in the slop, but would work well for the open water. It would be great for jigs and t-rigs. It is a little hard to cover all the techniques you mentioned. I would try and talk you into the 734C which will work perfect for everything you mention and also, senkos, spinnerbaits, buzzbaits, horny toads and more. It is not a very good frog rod though. The 705C is better for a frog than the 734C. The 735C is a great frog rod but too much power for spooks. It's a GREAT pitchin rod. I hope I have not got you too confused. Thanks.
DeltaDan

Post by DeltaDan »

DeltaDan wrote:
NaCl wrote: I am partial to the DX 734C (7'3", 1pc, 10-20lb, 1/4-1oz, Hvy Fast Action Spinnerbaits, Buzzbaits, Senkos, Horny Toad Casting Rod )
Dats da rod I ordered for Luke for his birthday !! :D

........ I take that back........ Just realized the DX on the quoted rod.....

I ordered Luke the 734C from the Champion Series ----- My wifes and I can'ts affords dat fancy snizzle. :lol: :lol:

Triton Mike

Post by Triton Mike »

You guitar folks need to quit hijacking and go to the GUITAR forum please :lol: LOL.

Here I'll even do the google search and help you

http://www.big-boards.com/kw/guitar/

Mike
mark poulson

Re: Question on Dobyns Rod NaCl

Post by mark poulson »

How about strapping you playing amp to the boat hull and blasting a little Purple Haze at the little green fishies next time you're on the water?
They'd go nuts, and hit anything!
Talk about the ultimate Biosonix!
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
Phil

Post by Phil »

[quote="Bassin"]Looking to buy a Dobyns Jerkbait/Crank rod. I want this rod for 80% Jerkbaits/20% Med.- Deep Cranking. I am considering the 705CB Glass, 705CB or 706CB. Which would be the best choice for what I am looking for?

How in the world does a original question here wind up being about (mexican, japanese, korean, etc. guitars, amps etc...holy mosis !!
MY turn :
I fish spinnerbaits 5/8 thru 1 1/2 oz, jigs, worms, crankbaits, spooks , buzz baits ; what would be the best Dobyns rod for me ??

JIGS
Gary Dobyns

Jigs, I hope you're yanking my chain or I'm getting

Post by Gary Dobyns »

ready to sell you a s*** load of rods. :shock: You really fish all those different baits on one pond??? :D :D :D :D Actually you could cover all those with a couple of rods.
Phil

Re: Jigs, I hope you're yanking my chain or I'm getting

Post by Phil »

YES AND YES
AND YES, I AM GETTING READY TO GET A COUPLE RODS
MOSTLY FOR SHOW AND TELL AND FISH WHEN PEGGY LETS ME GO !
Bassin

Almost got my 705CB today

Post by Bassin »

On Weds evening on my way home from work I stopped at Tacklewarehouse spending money as I often do. I found out that they had a few Dobyns rods (not on the website) They had one 705CB left. I asked if it could be saved until Friday when I get paid. The guy said "No problem" put my name on it with a note to save till Friday and put it next to the register. Well today I made the hour round trip drive down to TW only to find out that it had been sold out from under me.....Bummed to say the least, not only no rod but cost me a quarter of a tank of gas too :roll: am I mad, naw....I have shopped at TW even before it was called Tacklewarehouse....There was just a different kind of Customer service back then....Gary, I am on a mission now to find me one of those 705CB's :lol:
DeltaDan

Re: Almost got my 705CB today

Post by DeltaDan »

Bassin- have the shop order and place YOUR specific order for you alone.

I ordered one of the Dobbies at Extream - I trust it will come in before June 27th and that they will hold it sacred. :wink:

StockOption

Re: Almost got my 705CB today

Post by StockOption »

I will mention that I have the DX704C and it has been terrific for jigs, shaky head, senkos, bubba shotting, t-rigging, c-rigging and split shotting. Very nice rod indeed.
Kurt
froteur

Post by froteur »

Gary Dobyns wrote:Sorry I missed this earlier fishercurtis. If you want a 7 footer the 705C is your best bet. It is a little light for frogs in the slop, but would work well for the open water. It would be great for jigs and t-rigs. It is a little hard to cover all the techniques you mentioned. I would try and talk you into the 734C which will work perfect for everything you mention and also, senkos, spinnerbaits, buzzbaits, horny toads and more. It is not a very good frog rod though. The 705C is better for a frog than the 734C. The 735C is a great frog rod but too much power for spooks. It's a GREAT pitchin rod. I hope I have not got you too confused. Thanks.
fishercurtis ---- i think gary is telling you to sell a few more lunches and dinners then buy all 3 rods. :D :D