Delta Guides

Randy Turne

Delta Guides

Post by Randy Turne »

Hello
I know that requesting opinions on a guide will open up a debate, but I need to narrow down what I believe to be a number of good Delta Guides.
I live in Vacaville and fish out of B&W exclusively. I fish the north end of the delta from Holland to Whites and all sides of Franks. I don't want a guide that takes me down south because I just don't like to drive my boat that far. I've been fishing the Delta for 3 years with very sporadic results. I need help with low tide and techiques that will allow me to eliminate unproductive water. I've already fished with Cooch once. Looking to book a trip for May. Suggestions?
Sorry for the long winded message.
Randy
korny

easy choice

Post by korny »

Call Randy Pringle at 209-543-6260 or Bobby Barrack at 925-684-9904. Let them know what you want and you wont be disappointed. Two of the most knowledgable guides in the business.
Skeeterman

Re: Delta Guides

Post by Skeeterman »

Randy,go to the links their is section for guides.Thiers Bobby Barrack. MARK Lasange quite of few others you can look up. hope these helps
Dan

Re: Delta Guides

Post by Dan »

I would pick 4-5 names from the guides section and call them, see if you click with one. Ask them what techniques they are most comfortable with, how do they classify their "style" are they "run-n-gun" etc.. I think personality and style will go a lot further than a big name.
A name doesn't mean a dam thing if you don't take a liking to them. Don't be dissapointed go to the guide section and call at least 4 of them, $250-350 dollars is worth at least that much.
My 2 cents,
Dan

> Randy,go to the links their is section for
> guides.Thiers Bobby Barrack. MARK Lasange
> quite of few others you can look up. hope
> these helps
Amador

It depends on what you want to do..

Post by Amador »

If you want a smallmouth trip, go with Randy Pringle. If you want to catch a hog froggin' go with Bobby Barrack. If you want to go flip a jig until your arm falls off, go with Cooch.
Craig Gottwals

Call and Ask Questions

Post by Craig Gottwals »

Man ... I could go on and on about this topic. I have had a full array of guide experiences.

The most important thing you can do is call and talk to them. Ask (1) what area of the delta they like to fish the most (2) what their favorite techniques are (3) what their cancellation-reschedule policy is and (4) what you should bring. All of those questions are important, but I think you'll find the last two questions tell you a little more about the person.

I have been out with a very big-name famous guide in Cal. (not the Delta so don't worry) who was more worried about cathing more fish than you on the front of the boat and got visibly annoyed when his clients got hung up. Hello! I'm paying $300+ here I want to catch fish too!

On the other end of the spectrum, I have been out with a guide who bent over backwards to make sure I LEARNED on the trip, brought lunch, and fished only after I asked him to do so to give me examples. (This is a whole other interesting topic to me ... ask your guide how much he fishes on the trips. Their fishing should only be secondary to helping you and really should only be to (a) find fish (b) demonstrate a technique, or (c) to see if the fish are on another type of bait/lure.)

Also, the better experiences have been with guides that are more flexible about rescheduling due to weather and providing a wide variety of gear to use.

Do your homework. It will be worth it. And ... let me know how it goes. I'm going to have to learn the delta one of these days too!