Bait prices, etc...

Andy Giannini

Bait prices, etc...

Post by Andy Giannini »

I would stick up for the producer of the baits. It costs a ton of money, to develop and market these things that catch fish. And we all bitch about it. A five or six dollar hardbait is a bargain! Some of the imports retail for far more than that! The amount of time involved to come up with a winner, and create molds, packaging, advertisement, they are really a bargain.

Senkos are a great example. There are many baits out like it right now. But for what they do, they are CHEAP! Buy a dozen and buy a dozen minnows. Compare. You don't need to keep the Senkos live, worry about having enough or too many. Heck, you can take that bag fishing muiltiple times, catch muiltiple fish on ONE, and potentially catch the biggest Bass of your life! Galen Jensen did right here on the Delta, 18.62! Are Senkos better than live bait? Sometimes!

I think the costs involved like molds, packaging, marketing, salaries, labeling, shipping, and the like get lost when looking at a premium bait. And it doesn't matter if it is a hardbait, soft plastic, jig, etc.

We don't like high prices, but man we have it good. More choices of premium fishing stuff than ever before.

.02 A.G.
troutnut

Haaa!

Post by troutnut »

wanna complain about prices?

I used to have a REAL expensive hobby-

Competion R/C CARS and Helicopters!!!

That is like throwing bags of money into the trash can and pouring burning NITRO all over it.

I got into bass fishing because it was sooooo cheap.
Gator

Re: Haaa!

Post by Gator »

Troutnut I can feel ya there!!

I used to manage a Hobby Store and was full on into Racing. Raced 1/10 on and off road electric, 1/12 on Road electric, 1/10 off road nitro and 1/8 off road nitro. I also dabbled in monster trucks. I wish I had all that money back to put into fishing. There wouldn't be a bait I didn't own.

Know anyone that wants to buy a whole bunch of RC equipment and tools???? CHEAP!!

Tight Lines!!

Gator
Rod

Have any of you bought... *LINK*

Post by Rod »

the 3:16 Special Edition Walking Hard Bait ($150.00) or the Castiac T Series ($100.00)???
I think these are alittle pricey but are they worth it...

> I would stick up for the producer of the

> baits. It costs a ton of money, to develop
> and market these things that catch fish. And
> we all bitch about it. A five or six dollar
> hardbait is a bargain! Some of the imports
> retail for far more than that! The amount of
> time involved to come up with a winner, and
> create molds, packaging, advertisement, they
> are really a bargain.

> Senkos are a great example. There are many
> baits out like it right now. But for what
> they do, they are CHEAP! Buy a dozen and buy
> a dozen minnows. Compare. You don't need to
> keep the Senkos live, worry about having
> enough or too many. Heck, you can take that
> bag fishing muiltiple times, catch muiltiple
> fish on ONE, and potentially catch the
> biggest Bass of your life! Galen Jensen did
> right here on the Delta, 18.62! Are Senkos
> better than live bait? Sometimes!

> I think the costs involved like molds,
> packaging, marketing, salaries, labeling,
> shipping, and the like get lost when looking
> at a premium bait. And it doesn't matter if
> it is a hardbait, soft plastic, jig, etc.

> We don't like high prices, but man we have
> it good. More choices of premium fishing
> stuff than ever before.

> .02 A.G.

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/
Mark Langner

Never stops amazing me...

Post by Mark Langner »

how similar us fish catchin types tend to turn out to be. Yeah, I used to buil R/C planes growin up. Put that to one side when we started having kids because it was so expensive....now look at me...if I hear the wife tell me one more time "don't you think you have enough" I think I'll scream. (I was organizing my plastics/baits in the living room getting ready for a tournament)...
Mark Langner

I don't think I dissagree with you...

Post by Mark Langner »

my comment to Jim about more baits in the pack was more tongue in check humor. I do wish however that they would offer a "master pack" size... I have about 4 main colors I use for spider grubs and I'm TRYING to get down to 4 colors for Senkos. Even if I had to order over the internet from yamamoto, it would be nice to order larger bags with more baits in them. Conceptually I'd expect to save a small amount due to quantity, but more so, I could still keep them fresh in their plastic bags, store them easilly, but not have so darn many little bags all over the place.
Dave A

The problem is that this is not the only expense

Post by Dave A »

Baits are just one of the expenses we incur. A moderate to cheap rod and reel combo goes for over $200. That's for those of us who choose not to spend much more on the higher end rods. How many rods due we buy? Quite a few, and we always feel that we don't have enough. Now we come to boats and all of the electronics and various other items associated with them. Last I checked RC cars were a bit cheaper than your average bass boat, at least I hope. Please tell me no one has spent $30,000 on an RC car or helicopter. Gas and launch fees are also a consideration. Typically, I drop close to $100 on gas and launch fees prior to placing my boat in the water. What about tournament entry fees? The point I trying to make is that Bass fishing as a moderately serious endeavor is a very expensive sport, ask my wife. By the way, I love Lucky Craft Baits, but any way you look at it, those prices are ridiculous. Yes, i understand the additional expenses associated with importing the product. Why can't an American manufacturer make a product that at the least looks and performs remotely like the imports? Rhetorical question, I know the answer.

> Troutnut I can feel ya there!!

> I used to manage a Hobby Store and was full
> on into Racing. Raced 1/10 on and off road
> electric, 1/12 on Road electric, 1/10 off
> road nitro and 1/8 off road nitro. I also
> dabbled in monster trucks. I wish I had all
> that money back to put into fishing. There
> wouldn't be a bait I didn't own.

> Know anyone that wants to buy a whole bunch
> of RC equipment and tools???? CHEAP!!

> Tight Lines!!

> Gator
Dan R

Re: The problem is that this is not the only expense

Post by Dan R »

Rapala is on the right track to makeing inexpencive baits. The new x-rap is a good looking rip bait for about $6. I got one but haven't got a chance to really use it yet. It suspends at 4ft and has good detail. I did notice however, that the split rings and hooks are very poor quality. The rings were stretched out (not closed) on both the line tie and the hooks rings.

If they catch fish changing out the rings and hooks won't be a big deal.

-Dan
Bassinlee

Unopened bait bags.

Post by Bassinlee »

Okay fellas.
Now, how many of you have more than say, 35 new, unopened bags of worms, spinnerbaits, or hardbaits sitting at home that you don't even take with you? And you bought em like, 7 years ago? I know I do. Usually happens when it storms for more than a few weeks during the winter, and I, like you, get the urge to go buy stuff. Kinda takes the place of going fishing. Well, as long as we're doing that, bait manufacturers know they've got their products priced about right. They know, because they're fishermen too, and probably have their own collection of "just-in-case" baits. Same thing happens whenever we get a new tacklebox. Most times, we just take out our favorite crankbaits and spinnerbaits, (3 or 4) and just stick the old tacklebox up on the shelf in the garage. We then go BUY MORE NEW, COOL STUFF to fill the new tacklebox.
Just for fun, I bet if we just fished with all our old (new) stuff, and didn't buy anything for a while, it would stun the manufacturers. I'm not suggesting we do that, because it would be punishing the manufacturers for being good at what they do. Where am I going with this? Just musing on the price of baits. Seems, they're priced about right!
Scott

Re: Unopened bait bags.

Post by Scott »

Me too! I have waaay too much allready-a boat full and a garage full and I keep looking (and buying SHHHHHH!)Cant help myself! Now I know how women buy sooo many shoes!
Scott
> Okay fellas.
> Now, how many of you have more than say, 35
> new, unopened bags of worms, spinnerbaits,
> or hardbaits sitting at home that you don't
> even take with you? And you bought em like,
> 7 years ago? I know I do. Usually happens
> when it storms for more than a few weeks
> during the winter, and I, like you, get the
> urge to go buy stuff. Kinda takes the place
> of going fishing. Well, as long as we're
> doing that, bait manufacturers know they've
> got their products priced about right. They
> know, because they're fishermen too, and
> probably have their own collection of
> "just-in-case" baits. Same thing
> happens whenever we get a new tacklebox.
> Most times, we just take out our favorite
> crankbaits and spinnerbaits, (3 or 4) and
> just stick the old tacklebox up on the shelf
> in the garage. We then go BUY MORE NEW, COOL
> STUFF to fill the new tacklebox.
> Just for fun, I bet if we just fished with
> all our old (new) stuff, and didn't buy
> anything for a while, it would stun the
> manufacturers. I'm not suggesting we do
> that, because it would be punishing the
> manufacturers for being good at what they
> do. Where am I going with this? Just musing