Electronics question

Nevbasser

Electronics question

Post by Nevbasser »

Could use a little help here. Working with a Lowrance unit, can't remember model, but am not seeing baitfish or fish for that matter. I thought I should be able to actually pick up any thermocline as well. Seriously confused now since I've tried running sensitivity from 50-100%, and grayscale all over the map. What the heck am I doing wrong? I know I'm over fish and baitfish and yet I'm not picking them up. Any and all help will be GREATLY appreciated.
Tony
Joe

Re: Electronics question

Post by Joe »

> Are you getting a good bottom signal? Is your unit set to the proper depth range if in manual? There are a bunch of different reasons why the depth finders act up. Without actually being in your boat with you it would be hard to accurately tell you for sure what, if anything is wrong. I would highly suggest you contact Lowrance and they should be able to help you out. Also Don Iovino is a master of sonar and has a great book out on the subject, as well as a few videos. Good luck,

Joe
Joe Bruce

Re: Electronics question

Post by Joe Bruce »

replace the x ducer. the more power the more often needed. also turn it off when not in use.
kopper_bass

many possible reasons

Post by kopper_bass »

Nevbasser,
there's a million possible reasons that you are not seeing what you think you should be seeing.
As JoeB stated, one obvious thing to do is replace the transducer. The electronics on your deck are only as accurate and reliable as the transducer; so replace that.

Question?? - is this a new device? bought used? have you ever previously seen that it gives you the detail that you're looking for and its just acting up now? what model is it?

all these things can play into what the problem is. And quite honestly, it could just be that the device you have isn't quite good enough to truly read the fine details your asking for. (I love Lowrance, and only use them, but surely an X-47 isn't going to give you that detail).

It could also be where you are testing it out at. I'm assumming a lake with adequate depth and not the Delta.?? if not, go try a lake first.

As Joe recommended, give Lowrance a call and inquire about it. They have great service and if there is something wrong with the unit, they'll fix it for you. (ps- you can also inquire about updating the software).

Lastly, once you get a new transducer and call Lowrance to discuss, go out with a buddy who has a boat and try to do some side-by-side comparisons. Again, be sure they have a very comprabable unit to yours, otherwise you aren't comparing apples to apples.

Good Luck,

Kopper_Bass