electric trolling motors on canoes

Garth

electric trolling motors on canoes

Post by Garth »

Have an old 17' Grumman aluminum canoe (not a square-stern). Would like to put a trolling motor on, perhaps a 30 lb thrust + or -. Because of nearly full-circle shaft rotation and screw clamps, can it be mounted (and shimmed) directly to the hull near the rear seat or must (why?) it go on some kind of after-market or homemade motor mount? Anyone with experience in this? Any other tips (appropriate batteries, positioning and anchoring battery, battery cable extensions, typical run time under batter power, add-ons for increasing canoe's stability, etc.) much appreciated. Thank you.
troy Winger

Re: electric trolling motors on canoes

Post by troy Winger »

Here you go. They have them for sale here. You might try the one located near you to look at them up close.

<A HREF="http://www.freeoutdoors.com/paddling/tr ... mount.html" TARGET="_blank">http://www.freeoutdoors.com/paddling/tr ... nt.html</A>
Trace

Post by Trace »

I made one for my canoe out of wood. You could use 2x4's across the back that clamp together with the motor positioned just behind the rear seat. It works great and the design looks just like the metal ones they sell in catalogs. I put the battery up front with long cables running to the back. I used metal L brackets to mount the motor mounting block.
Good luck,
Trace> Have an old 17' Grumman aluminum canoe (not
> a square-stern). Would like to put a
> trolling motor on, perhaps a 30 lb thrust +
> or -. Because of nearly full-circle shaft
> rotation and screw clamps, can it be mounted
> (and shimmed) directly to the hull near the
> rear seat or must (why?) it go on some kind
> of after-market or homemade motor mount?
> Anyone with experience in this? Any other
> tips (appropriate batteries, positioning and
> anchoring battery, battery cable extensions,
> typical run time under batter power, add-ons
> for increasing canoe's stability, etc.) much
> appreciated. Thank you.
Wally

Post by Wally »

Garth, If you are going to put any type of motor on your canoe you are going to have to get CF #'s for it.

I put an electric motor on my rubber raft and got a ticket for not having CF #'s

Wally
Dan R

Post by Dan R »

How much did that ticket cost? How do you get CF numbers? I have an inflatable pontoon boat that I put a motor on. I guess I need CF numbers too?
Wild Bill

17'canoe/30 lb thrust on mine

Post by Wild Bill »

I got a Grumman 17 foot aluminum canoe and I have mounted a 30 pound stern-mounting trolling motor by just using two thin short slabs of 1X4 so that the motor can attach to the side of the craft directly next to the rear seat. The wood was necessary to compensate for the gunwale lip of the canoe..

Here in NY, once you affix ANY type of motor to a watercraft, the boat MUST then be registered or you get ticketed.

> Have an old 17' Grumman aluminum canoe (not
> a square-stern). Would like to put a
> trolling motor on, perhaps a 30 lb thrust +
> or -. Because of nearly full-circle shaft
> rotation and screw clamps, can it be mounted
> (and shimmed) directly to the hull near the
> rear seat or must (why?) it go on some kind
> of after-market or homemade motor mount?
> Anyone with experience in this? Any other
> tips (appropriate batteries, positioning and
> anchoring battery, battery cable extensions,
> typical run time under batter power, add-ons
> for increasing canoe's stability, etc.) much
> appreciated. Thank you.
Hippie/Mark

Re: Suggestion............

Post by Hippie/Mark »

Mount it on the Bow, for better wind drift, boat control if at possible. It really helps for positioning yourself to fish!!

Learned with raft!!!

Hipster
Wally

Post by Wally »

Dan, ya just have to go to the DMV office and register the thing. I think it was $25.

The ticket was like $250.00

Wally
Dan R

Thanks for the info *NM*

Post by Dan R »