Sospenders

5fat1's

Sospenders

Post by 5fat1's »

I am thinking about getting one of these... On one of the websites it says type V with type II performance... will the lake patrol, game and fish or a tournament director approve this classification? does anyone have these things or have any comments on them? the one I am looking at is from West Marine...
Ken C.

Re: Sospenders

Post by Ken C. »

As I recall, they count as a PFD Type II) only when worn. I would recommend the auto type as if you were to get thrown and knocked out, it won't inflate (unless you connect it to a lanyard which could create its own set of problems if you get up to move and forget to unclip!). Also I think that kids under 16 can't wear them by Coast Guard Regs. I think Cooch addressed that issue last year...
gb

Post by gb »

The SOS brand Auto is a type V and they must be worn at all times to be considered a life vest. I have all the specs at The Hook if you want to call me at 925-625-2441.

I am thinking about getting one of these...
> On one of the websites it says type V with
> type II performance... will the lake patrol,
> game and fish or a tournament director
> approve this classification? does anyone
> have these things or have any comments on
> them? the one I am looking at is from West
> Marine...
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

Auto are only accepted when worn, not when in the
boat, as a Full rated USCG vest.
The Manual are good and accepted anytime, as a PFD by USGC. Something to consider. BIll K
Ken C.

Gene, How about the Auto/Manual types?

Post by Ken C. »

Or are all of the "Auto" versions Auto/Manual? I am talking about the Sospenders "World Class" model Auto/Manual vest. It would seem to me that if you have the same "pull-tab" firing pin as on the manual type it should qualify as the same type of PFD. But then I don't fully understand government logic at times!!!
kopper_bass

Nope

Post by kopper_bass »

Ken,
any of the auto vests were classified as a Type V, or have no classification at all. Even those with a manual over-ride.

Kopper_Bass
RogerB

Very satisfied customers...

Post by RogerB »

My son and I have been using the 35 lb. Automatic Sospenders for the last several years and we love'em. Once you put'em on, you don't event know they're there, so you keep'em on all the time, even in hot weather. Servicing is easy...once a year you replace the disolving capsule that makes them automatic...it's easy and quick to do.
The peace of mind they provide is immeasurable, knowing that even if you're knocked unconscious in the process of going into the water, they will inflate and keep your head up and out of the water. Also, knowing that they have the manual back-up with the pull lanyard is also a plus.
They are durable, and IMHO well worth the investment.
...RogerB
Ken C.

Thanks! *NM*

Post by Ken C. »

Cooch

Excellent product!

Post by Cooch »

The Manual version are the Coast Guard approved type II vests. This is the fully approved version and model, and what I would highly recommend to all bass anglers.

The Auto/Manual version is only classified as a Type V PFD, and must be worn at all times to be considered as a valid PFD in the boat. These do not even carry the value of a float cushion, which is rated as a Class IV PFD(not considered a vest by law, but by law, a Type IV cushion MUST be in every boat) If you take it off, it's like it don't exist and your boat is now illegal if the occupancy exceeds the number of Class II vests. If you have other Class II vests in the boat, to cover the number of persons in that boat, then removing this Automatic Class V vest is not an issue.

And to address Ken's statement, all children 12 and younger, MUST be wearing a vest at ALL times!

Cooch
cal

Re: Excellent product!

Post by cal »

> Little confuse on the rating on the SOS. The manual is rated cl 2 and the auto is rated cl 5 which is lower. If you have the auto model and get toss out it will go off even if your unconcious. On the manual if your unconcious how is it going to go off to do you any good.
Seems the auto is safer. Confused ??????