How would u guys feel about a year long Striper Derby

Stretch1

How would u guys feel about a year long Striper Derby

Post by Stretch1 »

I have an idea for a year long striper derby....the way it would work is sorta like a bass tournament. You pay for a ticket/entry and each month there will be 2 monthly winners..with prizes/cash etc. then the top 24 teams come back and fish a two day T.O.C From 5 a.m friday morning until Sunday 12....you are able to weigh in 2 fish a day to get a total 3-day weight...no matter how many people are on your team (max would be 6) u get to weigh 2 fish a day...on sunday we would crown a champion....the champion would automatically be able to fish the nexts years T.O.C...of course there are alot of details to figure but i was looking for some feedback...thanks Paul

Rio Vista Bait & Tackle
Your One Stop Shop
jamescaird

Re: How would u guys feel about a year long Striper Derby

Post by jamescaird »

I think this is a really bad idea. The striper population is in trouble, and any sort of "catch and kill" tournament would put further pressure on this already troubled fishery. As a bait shop, you should consider getting behind striper conservation. The "whack em and stack em" mentality doesn't work when you have a population of fish at all time lows. If people enjoy striper fishing, they should think about what it would mean to have the number so bad the fishing isn't even worthwhile.

And besides, who will you sell bait to if there is no striper fishery?
Stretch1

Post by Stretch1 »

I appreciate your comments...Im not really sure why you think the striper fishery is in trouble? The amount of fish being caught is ridiculous right now...i would be interested in finding out why you think the fishery is in trouble.
jamescaird

Post by jamescaird »

The young of the year striped bass counts are the lowest in DECADES... the adult striper population is also near all time lows... this is all DFG data... just because they are catchable and the fishing is decent doesn't mean it's anywhere where it could be / should be! They are in trouble!
Gator

Post by Gator »

So why would it be catch and kill? Don't most have livewells? If not, require it to be a live weigh in with a release. I can't see a tournament stopped because of the possibility of mortality, if you require live weigh and release. Heck - if you did this I may even get seriously involved in chasin the ole linesides!!
Jeff Jewell

Post by Jeff Jewell »

Gator,
I don't think "Ol Linesides" does that well in the livewells, and besides I catch a few each year that just plain ol don't fit... :) .....

Now Now don't start in on me about Skeeter livewells.... :D .......
When in Doubt " Set the Hook"
Gator

Post by Gator »

LOL - I figure if you made the prize worth it we'd be using 100 qt. coolers with aerators. Now, about them Skeeter wells...... :lol:
bruizer343

Post by bruizer343 »

I have seen the southeast striper tourney guys keeping the stripers in tuna-tubes. I maybe wrong, but thats what I thought I saw. Im gonna search...This could be a way to get more protection for the breeders...the big females...slot limit catch and release like they do for redfish....thinking out loud.

B343
bruizer343

Post by bruizer343 »