Any Catfish advice for this BassFisherman in Sacramento?

GregH

Any Catfish advice for this BassFisherman in Sacramento?

Post by GregH »

I apologize for asking a Catfish question on a Bass board, but I know there are some multi-talented anglers that fish both species on this forum...

My Dad is coming into town (Sacramento) and I plan on taking him fishin'. His fish of choice is/are Catfish. Normally, I've taken him to the Deep Water Channel to catch our whiskered friends, but I am currently searching for new areas close to Sacto that I can take him to.
(We will be fishing from the bank)

There are a few considerations: 1) He is elderly and doesn't move around very well anymore...so I need a spot where I can drive right up to the bank, set out a chair, and start fishing. 2.) I'm thinking of taking nightcrawlers, chicken livers, and clams (I may even put some Crawdad smelly jelly on it!)...any other baits I should try? and finally 3.) The cats don't need to be big, but I would really like to get him as many bites as I can.

Thanks for any and all info/advice.

GregH
mac (Doyle McEwen)

Re: Any Catfish advice for this BassFisherman in Sacramento?

Post by mac (Doyle McEwen) »

Anchovies and or cut mackerel work great for Delta cats..If you use clams, you should get a ton of bites, of course about half of them will be small stripers..Right of the bat, I would think that just about anyplace you picked would be a decent place for a bunch of bites..The catching might be a problem though..I have done most of my Delta catfishing sitting on my friends deck overlooking Taylor Slough on Bethel Island..

mac

mac
Sacto John

Re: Any Catfish advice for this BassFisherman in Sacramento?

Post by Sacto John »

I use shrimp for bait, buy a half pound or so and what ever is left over you can cook up to eat. They stay on the hook great and work well for the kitty-fish, they are very similar to crawdad tails.