what's the name of that old yacht by Russo's??

Jeff Jewell

what's the name of that old yacht by Russo's??

Post by Jeff Jewell »

does anyone know it's history? Looks like it might have had a colorful past.
:lol:
When in Doubt " Set the Hook"
kopper_bass

For what its worth ........

Post by kopper_bass »

not really sure, but i was told that it was once owned by Al Capone. could be just a story, but that's what they told us at the Rusty Scupper Bar during BassMasters last week. Didn't think to ask the name - doh!

Would be a great boat to rent out for parties, weddings and such!

Kopper_Bass
Ken C.

The Motor Yacht Starfjord...

Post by Ken C. »

Rumors abound - Built in 1936, the 138-foot Starfjord is rumored to have been built for Al Capone and was later owned by the Walgreen family. Owned by Miles Davis (not the musician) and recently berthed at Bethel Island via the Panama Canal from New York as I recall. There was a write-up in the Contra Costa Times not too long ago (March?) about all the history on that baby! I think the article said there were hidden bars (Prohibition and all...) and some hiding places. Do a Google on the name and you can pull up a few items and pics. I believe the owner lives on it and it may have changed hands recently as well, but I'm not certain.
[i][b]To the world, you might be just one person. But to one person, you just might be the world...[/b][/i]
[img]http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a266/shred1080/misc/Disclaimer.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Kadota.jpg[/img]
Dewayne

I was told...

Post by Dewayne »

it was once owned by by Al Capone. If True it must have a lot of stories in those walls. The name is the Starjford. Not much info to be found on the boat. The ship is 101 feet in length and was built in the 1930s.
Dewayne
Jeff Jewell

Here's the story, thanks for the name "Long"

Post by Jeff Jewell »

Vintage yacht 'hasn't lost its luster': Bay Point boater bought, restored boat after eyeing it for years

By Paula King

CONTRA COSTA TIMES

BETHEL ISLAND - When Miles Davis fell in love with his stately yacht, he fell hard.

After wandering on board what is now known as the Starfjord in 1980 near San Diego, Davis followed the yacht for 15 years. He even visited it once in New York and finally acquired it 10 years ago after the former owner went bankrupt and it was repossessed.

Davis purchased it in Miami and brought it through the Panama Canal. The abandoned boat was in poor condition and slated to be scrapped until Davis restored some of its former glory.

"It hasn't lost its luster," he said while sitting in the dining room surrounded by ornate hutches and cabinets from the 1930s.

Built in 1930, The Starfjord has undergone seven or eight name changes and served several famous owners, such as the Walgreens family from 1936 to 1948. Originally named the Acania, it was rumored to have been owned by notorious mobster Al Capone after it was built until 1936.

A hidden bar situated behind a faux wall made of African mahogany indicates that the ship was built during the Prohibition era. The only evidence that Capone owned it is the story of a man who built the bar and says that the well-known gangster told him how to construct it. Davis first heard this tale from a former crew member.

Well-known designer John Wells designed the ship, which was built at New York's Consolidated Shipyard. While Capone allegedly owned it, it was under the name of investment banker Arthur Wheeler, according to Davis.

Wheeler simultaneously owned a classic fantail motor yacht also named the Acania, which was built in 1929.

Although they have similar interiors and exteriors, the Starfjord is a diesel-powered, classic yacht with a different shaped motor than the Acania. The Acania was a private cruiser and has been for sale in Oregon during recent years, Davis said.

Both yachts were used for a variety of tasks by the U.S. government during WWII. After utilizing the Starfjord, the government returned it to the Walgreens in 1948.

Davis has docked the Starfjord at the Rusty Porthole marina off Willow Road in Bethel Island where he owns a house and property.

As a graduate of the California Maritime Academy in Vallejo, this 62-year-old Oakland native has lived aboard ships since 1978. He bought the Starfjord because it reminded him of a boat he sailed for four years called the Lurline.

After graduating from the academy, Davis sailed on merchant ships for nine years. He keeps track of vintage boats that go on sale and favors unique, classic styles and craftsmanship as opposed to modern cookie-cutter ships.

The financial adviser's office is based in the smoking lounge where gentlemen once smoked cigars and drank cognac while ladies sipped tea elsewhere.

His favorite room is the dining room with its regal green velvet curtains, original light fixtures and gold seashell emblems that disguise devices to open the windows.

"It is just great for long dinner conversations," Davis said. "It is gracious living."

The 138-foot boat has crew quarters for 13 down below, but it is now used for storage. It weighs 450 tons and can hold 7,000 gallons of water and 9,000 gallons of fuel.

Before Davis bought the ship, it was chartered on the East Coast for weddings and special occasions. Rock legend Billy Joel tried to charter it once for $250,000 but was unable to after it was damaged in an accident with another boat.

Last fall, islanders came on board the ship for an End of Prohibition Party hosted by the Rusty Porthole. With guests dressed in period costumes and sipping on martinis and gin, the affair is likely to become an annual Sept. 17 event.

"It is something that people want to see," said Porthole owner Belinda Bittner. "I love the history about the boat. It is just so fascinating."

The saloon features teak woodwork, antique furniture from the Civil War era, a marble fireplace next to rounded bookcases and a curved stairwell that stores wine racks and leads to three guest state rooms and a master state room. Each room has mother of pearl buttons to call servants, cedar closets with hat and shoe racks, full bathrooms and hot water heaters inside every dresser to keep clothes dry.

"Families used to get on board and travel around the world," Davis said.

As an assistant to Davis, Joe Swanson lives on board and handles many of the constant maintenance projects. The wood floors and paneling must be oiled twice a month and varnishing completed every four months.

"Now, it is home," Swanson said. "This is where I come back to."

Both Davis and Swanson enjoy hosting informal tours of the boat. Practically everyone on the island has seen the boat, according to locals.

"I like hearing that people think it is beautiful," Swanson said. "They are just amazed."

Davis said that every boat is for sale and that he is probably getting ready to sell it soon. With major repairs and renovations, Davis estimates that he has spent more than $800,000 on his beloved boat, including rebuilding both engines and placing 400 square feet of new steel on the bottom of it.

Davis' next ideal adventure would be to live on cruise ships nine months out of the year while continuing to manage his financial business from waters around the world.

"I like to travel," he said. "I like to change."
When in Doubt " Set the Hook"
MyBullet

Post by MyBullet »

Sacto John

Did you guys also hear...

Post by Sacto John »

theat the Delta might be getting another type of classic water craft, the U.S.S. Iowa. A deal is in the works to get the big old battleship mored in Stockton, it is not official yet but there is a good chance as the dock and parking facilities have aready been donated.
Jreeves68

Re: what's the name of that old yacht by Russo's??

Post by Jreeves68 »

This Yacht belongs (or belonged) to my ex-father-in-law. It is really a beautiful yacht. It was owned by Al Capone at one time, it has several hidden features such as the full service bar hidden in one of the walls. I have stayed on the yacht several times and cruised the SF Bay on it before. The large dining room seats like 11 or 12 people. The top of the fly bridge is so high above the water that when you jump off it, you jave a few seconds to think,,, why havent i hit the water yet. I had some great times on this wonderful yacht.