bassboat question.....

saLTY-

bassboat question.....

Post by saLTY- »

i was scrolling through bassboatcentral.com and looked at everyones set up. i seen 200 doing 65mph. i seen 226 doing 65mph. the i seen other 150 doing 75mph, and 200 and 225 doing 78....so i am thinking to my self do i really need a 200 or 225?.....

i don't know how big of a boat i need but i guess it's one of those things u always want to upgrade, right?

i also know a guy w/ a skeeter. it's 18.5 ft long and gots a 150 yamaha. he said he can do 73 by hinmself but with one other person he does 65mph.

i have taken a ride w/ cooch on a guide trip and his baot is fast!!!! it was cooch my dad and myself and boy did hi boat go. i think i remember him calling his boat a hover in a post. what a under statement..

i myself got a little smaller and slower boat but she is a beauty. i got a 16 ft monark. she is a glass and wood boat. heavey but stable and is a 1978. i got a newer merc 90 and i do 40. never would sell her!!

but i think i am goign to look for a older ranger 373 or 393. if i could get away with a smaller motor and go the same speeds as the bigger studs out there i think that's what i want , or is it?

that guy w/ the 150 who does 75 was cruising a basscat? so y spend the money for a 225 just to do 3-5 mph more, is it worth it?

and opinnions out there?

thx. saLTIE- :roll:
i think i need a few more rods!!
Lugnut

Re: bassboat question.....

Post by Lugnut »

Well I am no where near an expert on this subject, but I have an '85 Ranger 370V with an '86 Mercury 175HP Black Max. I have GPS'd it at 62.5mph with a full load (two people, all our gear, full tanks, etc.) I try and not get my RPM's that high since it is such an old motor. I run about 50 - 55mph at about 5000rpms. I have always found that some people tell you that there boat will do 70 - 80mph, but they have never GPS'd, or it was a one or two time deal. Good luck on the search, K. Smith

Your right, Cooch's boat is FAST, scary fast!!!!!!
Don't ask about my username, all I need to say is check yours and check them often.

HomeBrew Tackle Co.
MrSkeeter

Speed?

Post by MrSkeeter »

First off, those who tell you they're doing 70+ w/ a 150 is likely dreaming (unless they're driving an Allison, Bullet or so other unfishable speed boat). I'd say most 'modern' bass boats (Ranger, Skeeter, Tritons, etc) will likely run into the low to mid 60's if the boat is setup right and load is moderate.

An older Ranger like you're talking about is about low hi 50's to hi 60's depending on the motor and setup. But I've ridden in a 372 w/ a 175 an that thing was FAST ... hi 60's maybe.

Also, speed and comfort in a bass boat is highly dependant on the one who's driving. The driver makes a HUGE difference if you're going to get that extra MPH or two or ... more!

But then again ... is speed everything in a bass boat?
Gator

I have GPS'ed....

Post by Gator »

62 mph at 4900 RPM, in a 94 Ranger 362V with two people, full tanks and all the gear, with a Yamaha Pro-V 150. That was on Clearlake during the Federation Region 3 tourney.

I have had the boat since March and have not hit or gone over 5000 RPM. I really don't see a need to, unless I want to see what it takes to blow the power head.

60 mph is plenty fast for me, it gets me to where I want to fish and I can make it home at the end of the day.
lawrencelee

Speed is dependent on

Post by lawrencelee »

what you consider fast
but REALITY is that you will not do the max speed constantly -
I've had my Champ w/200 efi pegged at 71 mph with 2 people (600#+) in the boat with fishing gear on Clear Lake that was mirror flat. Since, that time (2000) I travel at about 40 mph @ 4000 rpm - this saves alot of gas.
Most WOT occurs during tournament fishing blast-off to beat your competitor to the honey hole - I don't do that any more, too strenous for me.

I've also, had a F/S w/150 Yammie and the top speed ever was 61 mph - plenty fast for me - wish I kept that old boat.

Lawrence
Smileee
MN

SPEED

Post by MN »

Is not what i would base my purchase on.I have been in alot of differant bass boat's and chose my boat on the fishability of the boat.it has a 200 evinrude ficht and i love this motor.no i am not the fasteset boat out there but i believe i am the most comfortable when i do get to my spot.hell i have cought as many fish out of my leaky aluminium boat as my 42000.00 bass boat.
kopper_bass

Your Missing the point!

Post by kopper_bass »

SalTY,
I fully agree and appreciate your question - why go so fast? Some guys chose a certain boat w/motor for the speed alone, but your choice should be what BOAT you want, and then be sure its matched well with a good engine. If matched right, its gonna go plenty fast. All boats ride their best when powered correctly - you don't ever want to under-power a boat, but your choice needs to be on the ride it gives you.

An 18ft'er w/ a 175 surely can go almost as fast as a 21ft'er with a 250. Bigger boats weigh more and need more HP to push them, thus they have bigger engines and thus, they get a few more mph at top end. But that's not why most guys chose a 21 ft boat over the 18. Not for the speed, but for the comfort ride.

If you've ever pounded it out in an 18ft'er w/ big swells on Clear Lake or the Delta, vs. taken a safer and easier ride you get in the 21ft'er, you'll appreciate the decision. On calm, flat days either boat is gonna go fast, fast, fast, and yeah some boats will get there sooner, but for sure, taking a long run, in choppy or rough water is gonna be way more enjoyable in a new, bigger boat (that just requires a bigger engine) than that classic, nostalgic Ranger.

If your buying that shorter boat because of the engine size and speed it goes, and your not considering the ride it gives you, then your missing the point!

Good Luck and enjoy it,

Kopper_Bass
Jeff C.

Speedometer values are usually way too high.

Post by Jeff C. »

The only way a Skeeter with a 150 could run 73 mph is if it's being towed down the highway. Heck my TR186 speedo used to read 78 mph, but the best I've managed is 66 mph and that's with a 175. Stock speedos are basically useless. It's funny how they always read high and never low.
James Fritz

Post by James Fritz »

I have a 2000 519vs ranger camanche with a 225 mercury efi and it only goes 62.5 with a 25p tempest. I dont see how all these other guys are doing 70+ mph. some care to enlitin me on what's going on?
MichaelB

Post by MichaelB »

saLTY- wrote:i was scrolling through bassboatcentral.com and looked at everyones set up. i seen 200 doing 65mph. i seen 226 doing 65mph. the i seen other 150 doing 75mph, and 200 and 225 doing 78....so i am thinking to my self do i really need a 200 or 225?.....
Salty:
You need to recheck your numbers!
There is no way a 150 is doing 75mph and a 200/225/250 doing 78, unless you are on the freeway.
(Yes a 225 will push a 19-6 to 20-6 boat 65+)

First question, is where do you fish ? An 18-6 boat with a 150 would be perfect on our NorCal reservoirs, but you will wish you had 20' boat with a 225/250 if you fish the Delta or Clear Lake. Unless you are fishing for significant pay-days, which I will guess you are not, a reasonable angler does not need to be going 70+.
Select your boat to suit where you are going to fish, with a little less concern over speed.
JoeLanghans

Post by JoeLanghans »

James Fritz wrote:I have a 2000 519vs ranger camanche with a 225 mercury efi and it only goes 62.5 with a 25p tempest. I dont see how all these other guys are doing 70+ mph. some care to enlitin me on what's going on?
This is no blow to you or your boat. Something is wrong with your setup or driving. Check your RPM at 62. I have a Z519 with a 225 Pro XS. I can get it up to 74 alone with gear on the GPS and 72 during a team tournament.

90-125HP = 40-50 mph
150 HP = 55-65 mph
175-200HP = 65-72 mph
225-250HP = 65-80 mph

I would say these are the averages.
Depends on age of motor, boat brand, boat weight, length of boat, power poles or talons, prop, and jack plate.
monte300

Post by monte300 »

JoeLanghans wrote:
James Fritz wrote:I have a 2000 519vs ranger camanche with a 225 mercury efi and it only goes 62.5 with a 25p tempest. I dont see how all these other guys are doing 70+ mph. some care to enlitin me on what's going on?
This is no blow to you or your boat. Something is wrong with your setup or driving. Check your RPM at 62. I have a Z519 with a 225 Pro XS. I can get it up to 74 alone with gear on the GPS and 72 during a team tournament.

90-125HP = 40-50 mph
150 HP = 55-65 mph
175-200HP = 65-72 mph
225-250HP = 65-80 mph

I would say these are the averages.
Depends on age of motor, boat brand, boat weight, length of boat, power poles or talons, prop, and jack plate.
When I bought my Triton TR19 with a 175 Evinrude Ficht back in 2000 the boat came rigged with a four blade 25 pitch prop. The most I ever saw on the speedometer was 62 or 63MPH. I propped it down to a 23 pitch and lost a couple MPH. The better hole shot and less chime walk was worth the slight loss of speed.
Nevadabassin

Post by Nevadabassin »

I have a 2007 ranger with a mercury 150 and it only does 56 to 58mph max.that guy who says he's in the 70mph range is way off.a 150 will not do 70mph on an 18ft boat
basshol

Post by basshol »

I have a nitro z8 with a 200 Opti. It does 67 on GPS with 2 people full tank 4800 rpm.
WB Staff

Post by WB Staff »

monte300

Post by monte300 »

Honesty is always the best policy but keep in mind that if the speedometer says 70 your boat may only be traveling around 65 on GPS. I guess the point is don't be silly and say your 20 footer with a 250 only goes 55! :mrgreen:

Great advice from Ben Green, no wonder he comes so highly recommended
hydro

Post by hydro »

RPM , lower unit gear ratio , prop pitch , hull efficiency

http://www.rbbi.com/folders/prop/propcalc.htm
Johnson gt fan

Re: Speed?

Post by Johnson gt fan »

MrSkeeter wrote:First off, those who tell you they're doing 70+ w/ a 150 is likely dreaming (unless they're driving an Allison, Bullet or so other unfishable speed boat). I'd say most 'modern' bass boats (Ranger, Skeeter, Tritons, etc) will likely run into the low to mid 60's if the boat is setup right and load is moderate.

An older Ranger like you're talking about is about low hi 50's to hi 60's depending on the motor and setup. But I've ridden in a 372 w/ a 175 an that thing was FAST ... hi 60's maybe.

Also, speed and comfort in a bass boat is highly dependant on the one who's driving. The driver makes a HUGE difference if you're going to get that extra MPH or two or ... more!

But then again ... is speed everything in a bass boat?
I have 85 glastron bass boat with gt150. 21deg prop and whales tale. With myself and my son I hit a top speed of 72mph on GPS. I do have my carbs jetted. But 70+ with johnson gt150 is very much posible.
fastcat

Post by fastcat »

There are lot of variables that come into play with speed on a bass boat. A lot of guys on BBC run flashed SHO motors meaning they run a 200 and have the ECM flashed up to a 225 250 or higher. Same goes for the guys with 250s flashing over 300hp. The basscat margay at about 1200lbs with a 150 is really fast rig and I know a couple guys that have ran 70 with a 150. I would imagine most guys that post high speeds saw it one time running down stream super light load and it's not the norm.
The 480 or 360 series rangers ran really good in their day with a 175. Basscat or pheonix is gonna bit a bit faster rig based on design so it's really up to your preferences.
jiggin4bass

Post by jiggin4bass »

I have a friend has a 96 nitro with a new 175 pro max with two people it will do 68mph with just himself 73mph it a narrow boat he has all the fancy jackplate
And touch controls foot throttle fulid power steering. It's pretty fast but you have to drive it too. To much boat for me
I have a 76 monark 80hp Merc thunderbolt it does 40 with just me and 35 with my wife and i. I'm the third owner and have known the boat from when it was bought new by the first owner and was purchase by the second owner.
Home Of The Original Puffball Jig
Building and fishing custom jigs
since 1977
Madera Ca.
Favorite Lakes
Eastman
Hensley
fresnoron

Post by fresnoron »

99 519 DVS Ranger with 225 EFI Merc w 26 pitch prop used to run about 70.5 mph by gps with full gear 2 men and 1/2 tank...had some work done and they replaced the ignition control module....now same setup maxes about 64 mph....but thats plenty and actually seldom run more than about 3/4 throttle.
jaime7819

Post by jaime7819 »

Fyi, this thread originally started in 2005!!!!!!
biteme

Re: Your Missing the point!

Post by biteme »

kopper_bass wrote:SalTY,
I fully agree and appreciate your question - why go so fast? Some guys chose a certain boat w/motor for the speed alone, but your choice should be what BOAT you want, and then be sure its matched well with a good engine. If matched right, its gonna go plenty fast. All boats ride their best when powered correctly - you don't ever want to under-power a boat, but your choice needs to be on the ride it gives you.

An 18ft'er w/ a 175 surely can go almost as fast as a 21ft'er with a 250. Bigger boats weigh more and need more HP to push them, thus they have bigger engines and thus, they get a few more mph at top end. But that's not why most guys chose a 21 ft boat over the 18. Not for the speed, but for the comfort ride.

If you've ever pounded it out in an 18ft'er w/ big swells on Clear Lake or the Delta, vs. taken a safer and easier ride you get in the 21ft'er, you'll appreciate the decision. On calm, flat days either boat is gonna go fast, fast, fast, and yeah some boats will get there sooner, but for sure, taking a long run, in choppy or rough water is gonna be way more enjoyable in a new, bigger boat (that just requires a bigger engine) than that classic, nostalgic Ranger.

If your buying that shorter boat because of the engine size and speed it goes, and your not considering the ride it gives you, then your missing the point!

Good Luck and enjoy it,

Kopper_Bass
Nailed it.
monte300

Re: Your Missing the point!

Post by monte300 »

kopper_bass wrote:SalTY,

Good Luck and enjoy it,

Kopper_Bass
Kopper I fully agree with everything you say regarding the ride and another thing to consider is the more stable fishing platform the bigger boats tend to provide. Another thing is the considerable price difference between 18' and 21' rigs. Some people simply can't afford a 21' rig, but in my opinion raw speed should never be number one consideration regardless of the length of the boat.
biteme

Post by biteme »

It's kind of like this. My Cummins isn't the fastest truck on the road. She weighs 9k pounds so she needs that big motor.

They don't put a Cummins in a Honda Civic because it's not needed. The Civic is probably faster than my truck.
jiggin4bass

Post by jiggin4bass »

I've alway's told other anglers that it's not how fast boats are it's how many fish you bring to the scales.
Home Of The Original Puffball Jig
Building and fishing custom jigs
since 1977
Madera Ca.
Favorite Lakes
Eastman
Hensley
Rick Pierce

Post by Rick Pierce »

This posts has a lot of opinion and it’s very hard for an older 150 to exceed 72 MPH on a 17’ boat, let alone an 18.5’ model. An older 18’ Sabre XR or Pro Vee Series engine could hit 70, though only an older Mid 1994 above Eyra would crank 73-74 empty. Personally I’ve had two Caracal 17’ models radar 76 MPH and those were an ‘85 model and a 1991 model. It’s just not going to happen in the speeds mentioned and an 18 1/2’ boat that is a core bass model.

Boats have GPS today and if those speeds were not clocked on GPS without excessive current flows they are illegitimate.

Older Engines can have different internal components changed by previous owners and no one knows it. We had one from 1990 with a 200 power plant under a 150 cowl and serial number which owner #3 down line never knew of it. That boat was running 74 MPH and when we popped the cowling it had an early 1993 200 powerhead and timing box.

Most older runners we have seen run like mentioned are tweaked engines and the handed down owners don’t realize why they run so well. It could leave a tournament angler in a lurch on honesty, if they competed in a regulated event and were over the rated horsepower, at no fault of their own.

As an overall bass market today here are some very general estimates:
We see most 150 engines today on current rigs capable of a run between 55 and 70 MPH.
Those with current 200’s can run between 62 and 73 MPH.
225 engines we find run between 65 and 73 MPH.
250 engines are broader due to larger length and weight variations and we find from 63 MPH to 82 MPH.

Of course the lighter weight, very low volume production boats that are cross overs and built as Bass models can trip numbers empty weighted above these. Loaded down with weight, fuel, persons, larger trollers, batteries, graphs we see their performance come down into the range mentioned on those 250 rated engines. They drop significantly when loaded with their more drastic angled hull transitions, and complex designs, as weight increases their wetted surface.
Rod Martin

Post by Rod Martin »

There are far to many variables that each person has to work out for themselves .

When I had my 20' narrow body Champion with a Merc 250XB I set it up for 82 mph and that was gps. BUT it took the right jackplate setback and adjusted height, I searched thru many different props to get what I wanted and weight in the boat.

I could have gone faster but I wanted fishable along with speed. Back then it was fun to go fast but it cost money too.

Speed is not needed to win just to outrun your friends boats :D
TR177 Ranger/ Mercury/Lowrance/ Ghost TM