Rain Gear

ScottyJ

Rain Gear

Post by ScottyJ »

Anyone know of some decent rain gear to fish in that isn't too expensive? Everything I have seen seems to be up there in price. What do you all use? Thanks!

Scott
Slippy

Re: Rain Gear

Post by Slippy »

dont put a price on comfort...... Cabela's Guide Wear.
LL
tap

Post by tap »

FROG TOGS ARE THE BEST
Brian

Post by Brian »

Slippy wrote:dont put a price on comfort...... Cabela's Guide Wear.
DITTO 8)
[color=#0040FF]"Life's tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid."

-John Wayne[/color]
BassManDan

Post by BassManDan »

Scotty,
I have heard good things about FroggToggs.
I have some Bass Pro Shops Goretex Pants and Jacket.
Living in Humboldt County they are the best damn investment I have made in a long time.
If your willing to throw down a few more bucks the B.P.S. HPR, are really good, they are insulated and have reinforced seams and kneepads and stuff like that, whenever my current BPS one wear out, I will definitely bump up to those.
Off the top of my head, I think the pants run somewhere between $90-120 and the jaket (parka) is like $150, but look up those prices for yourself, I could be wrong.

Stay Dry,
BassManDan
BassManDan - 1997 Stratos 295 Pro Elite

"In the spirit of akido, sh-sh-sh-shaaa."
-Dale Gribble from TV's "King of the Hill"

"It would be the best of all possible worlds were it not for religion."
- John Adams, 1776
BigBossMan

Post by BigBossMan »

Frogg Toggs are very nice.
Brian

Post by Brian »

BassManDan wrote:Scotty,
I have heard good things about FroggToggs.
I have some Bass Pro Shops Goretex Pants and Jacket.
Living in Humboldt County they are the best damn investment I have made in a long time.
If your willing to throw down a few more bucks the B.P.S. HPR, are really good, they are insulated and have reinforced seams and kneepads and stuff like that, whenever my current BPS one wear out, I will definitely bump up to those.
Off the top of my head, I think the pants run somewhere between $90-120 and the jaket (parka) is like $150, but look up those prices for yourself, I could be wrong.

Stay Dry,
BassManDan

BPS rain gear is nice, no doubt. The problem with BPS rain gear is that you look like a walking billboard with that stuff. Cabelas is just as good if not better, without all the logos.

-John Wayne[/color]
fourbizzle

Post by fourbizzle »

Cabelas EXV.
Cooch

Post by Cooch »

Take a look at the BPS Pro Qualifier series Gore Tex, AWESOME rain gear and NO Logos! Ya just can't beat Gore Tex, the Frogg Toggs will do, I was actually sponsored by them fer several years. But if'n ya fish a lot, they will wear down real fast, tear easily when hooks git caught in em, and seem to drain right down yer chest often when in driving rain storms. Toggs are nice an light, and work great for them mildly raining days, but if'n yer in a nasty storm or out often, ya need to invest in GoreTex, they'll last ya 10-15 years!!!!!
Blue_R70

Post by Blue_R70 »

Brian wrote:BPS rain gear is nice, no doubt. The problem with BPS rain gear is that you look like a walking billboard with that stuff. Cabelas is just as good if not better, without all the logos.
Ditto. Why be a patch pirate for BPS? Like you said, Cabelas Guide Wear is just as good if not better and you're not being used as a walking billboard. My set of Guide Wear (jacket + bibs) is over five years old and holding up very well.

Frog Toggs are decent if all you need is something light duty that can be crumpled up into a small package. The jacket works great as a very light windbreaker too. I have a Frog Toggs jacket that survived hard, daily downpours in Brazil while fishing out of a tin boat. It's still in great shape. Edited to add: Frog Toggs are made of a paper-like material so be aware that they *can* become abraded if you're really rough with your gear.
Last edited by Blue_R70 on Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ScottyJ

Post by ScottyJ »

Great info thanx. What about some gloves that aren't too bulky yet still keep ur hands warm and dry at least while driving?
Smile_n_Jax

Post by Smile_n_Jax »

Hey Scotty, I'm a fun fisherman who doesn't plan on going out in heavy weather, so I got the Frogg Toggs. Then I did some mods. Put a zipper all the way down the front so relieving myself wouldn't require removing the jacket and pants. Tailored the sides in so they wouldn't be so baggy (I'm a skinny old fart) and replaced the whimpy elastic shoulder straps with some good velcro ones. All in all cost me about $60. And, yes, I can run a sewing machine.

I've used them a couple times and they've kept me warm and dry.
Jax Keilman
"I may be crazy, but it's kept me from going insane" - Waylon Jennings
'89 Stratos 269V, 90HP Yamaha. Small, but I love it.
brambo0311

Post by brambo0311 »

I got a set of gortex rain gear in the Marines. I am still using them. Most army surplus stores carry them. They are kind of expensive but they have enough pockets to hold a ton of gear. And they are all rip stop strong stuff. I drug it around to 16 different countries, (2 of them might even let me come back.) And it is still water tight.
LL
GITBIT

Post by GITBIT »

Go with some of the lower end Gotex from Bass Pro or Cabelas. Also take a look at Cabelas Dry Plus line. Dry Plus is also a breathable waterproof fabric and works great. You can get this cheaper than
Gortex. Look for a the sales when the Parkas with the zip out liner go on sale. I did that and then added on some pants later. Makes great rain gear. The only thing that the expensive stuff has is the cuffs that don't let water run down your arms. Other that that no need to spend $500 bucks on rain gear.

Mike
I know you are but what am I?
fishyd

Post by fishyd »

Cabelas guide wear pro less velcro and easy pee access so important.
ken

Post by ken »

Ditto on Cabelas gortex rain gear. make sure to get the bib bottoms. The fisherman that I know using frog togs came in wet and I was dry and happier.
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

When I moved up to NorCal the first purchase I made was Guidewear Bibs and Jacket. I have not been wet since I have purchased this item...minus all the zippers I have no regrets about this purchase.
- JaJa Jigs - Get THUNKED
Links to Check Out -
https://www.instagram.com/jm_ash/
https://www.bestbasstournaments.com/
Greg_Cornish

Post by Greg_Cornish »

I use a poncho that cost about $4.00. Works great.
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet, is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
hydrate2o

Post by hydrate2o »

Guide wear is awesome, never get cold, never get wet.
Life is much to short to get upset over the little things, most things are little.
Old School

Post by Old School »

I have Frogg Toggs and they keep me dry for both golfing and fishing. I have not fished in a torrential downpour (lately and don't plan on it, don't like all my lures to get rusty :D ). I have machine washed the Toggs a few times and they get a little fuzzy due to the "paperish" material. I keep them in a zip bag under my seat in the boat now. I paid $70 about 3 years ago and I saw them on sale at BPS in Vegas for $25 last New Years but didn't buy them for some dumb reason (Oh yeah, I was broke trying to support the wife's gambling spree :lol: ). I've been researching/planning to purchase a Gortex set and the "sale" prices never seem to dip more than $20 even in the Summer :x . Looks like a bib/parka will be in order just in case I feel like braving a tetanus shot and then the Frogg Toggs will be in my golf bag for the duration of their/my life. 8)
201Pro

Post by 201Pro »

Costco has a light weight waterproof, breathable jacket/pants for ~$35 for the set. I bought one of those a few years back as a back up in my boat and have worn them a few times. Not bad ... don't know how it will hold up in heavy use. But for the money, it's a great deal I think!
Chris
=========================
2004 Ranger 521VX, ETEC250HO
8" Atlas Hydro Plate, 25p Tempest+
Hotfoot/ProTrim/4-bank Dual Pro
2x Blade Series Power Poles
Minn Kota Fortrex 112
Lowrance HDS12 Carbon & Gen3
DeltaDan

Post by DeltaDan »

Costco's Kirkland brand is actuall made by Stearns........ It works very- very well.

I even wear it under my duck hunting gear when the major storms are in........
You know, we always called each other goodfellas. Like, you'd say to somebody: "You're gonna like this guy; he's all right. He's a goodfella. He's one of us." You understand? We were goodfellas, wiseguys.

[b]Team LL [/b] (2006 ~ And Beyond !! )
spyongbob

Post by spyongbob »

I like the new pro version frog togs, they weigh about 2 pounds vs 11oz for the old ones, and are really tough and durable. The old ones wore out too fast and were not made for heavy downpours, although I never really got wet in them either. The pro version was on sale for less than $100 at "Tackle Warehouse"? I also own insulated gore-tex, but advise against insulated unless you plan on wearing them in extreme cold and rain. They're too bulky and warm for me and I can always add on clothes underneath. Just my .02
bruizer343

Post by bruizer343 »

this is california, rain gear is for sissy's...
Brian

Post by Brian »

bruizer343 wrote:this is california, rain gear is for sissy's...

Whats wrong Bruizer, Walmart out of circus tents?

-John Wayne[/color]
edge

Post by edge »

I love my Gander Mountain H20 Guidewear. Really comfortable, breathable, Gore-Tex, ....just awesome pants and bibs for a very affordable price.
froteur

Post by froteur »

bruizer343 wrote:this is california, rain gear is for sissy's...
everyone knows that it doesn't rain in california. oh wait, that's only southern california.

love my goretex stuff. i have goretex jackets and pants that have lasted for over 15 years, through extensive use. saw a goretex jacket the other day at cabelas (or was it basspro) for around $70 or less. not sure about the pants though. also, unless i'm mistaken, gore gives a lifetime waterproof guarantee on all garments that use goretex. so, you don't have to worry about the goretex failing. you only need to worry about the external layer.
201Pro

Post by 201Pro »

spyongbob wrote:I like the new pro version frog togs, they weigh about 2 pounds vs 11oz for the old ones, and are really tough and durable. The old ones wore out too fast and were not made for heavy downpours, although I never really got wet in them either. The pro version was on sale for less than $100 at "Tackle Warehouse"? I also own insulated gore-tex, but advise against insulated unless you plan on wearing them in extreme cold and rain. They're too bulky and warm for me and I can always add on clothes underneath. Just my .02
Not to knock on the Frog Togs, but I know a close friend (who by the way is VERY meticulous with his stuff) who owned one of these Pro versions. After a year, they began to leak at the seems.
Chris
Minn Kota Fortrex 112
spyongbob

Post by spyongbob »

201 pro said " my friend has a leak in seams after a year"
Oh crap! I hope it's an isolated incident. I've had mine for about a year and so far no problems, in fact, I love them so much, I bought a spare. Thanks for the warning. :(

Steve Yee
Nick_Barr

Post by Nick_Barr »

I have a set of GAMEHIDE TYPHOON Class Raingear. IT is more comfortable than BPS and Cabelas. plus you can move your arms around in it. It is a great product. I have had it for 2 years of fishing in one of the most rainiest states (WA) and it still seems like new.
http://www.NickBarrFishing.com
President, Eastern Washington University Sportsman's Club
bassrockstar

Post by bassrockstar »

I've gone through 3 pairs of Frog Toggs in the last 2 seasons. They keep you dry but just wear out and will eventually tear at the seams in the pants. The tops they make are way too short too so you always wind up with that wet mid section on your underlayers. I would suggest bumping up to the parkas and bibs by cabelas or BSP
Old School

Post by Old School »

Well, I just did it almost like I said I was going to do it. Didn't get the Goretex though. Bought (or I should say ordered) on Cabela's website. Got the Cabela's Dry-Plus® (their version of Goretex) Spectrum Ultra Parka for $32.88 and the Cabela's Roughneck Dry-Plus® Thinsulate™ Bibs for $79.95. I figured that I could wear a fleece jacket and/or pants underneath if it happens to be really cold. Also oredered some "Addiction Midweight Base Layer Crew/Bottom" as layered polyester long johns for $9.95 each. Add $12.95 for 3-6 days shipping and I am satisfied thus far without seeing any of the products yet. By the way, I also got the 2" Senkos for $2.88 per 20 count!! Didn't order gloves, I already have a few pairs.
Gene Buchholz

Post by Gene Buchholz »

I sell the Gamehide at the Hook. Its very good rain gear and at a good price. We also have the Frog Togs. Give us a call or stop by this week the Gamehide is 25% off.
[img]http://www.westernbass.com/shared/sponsors/468x60/hookadban.gif[/img]

Post by Guest »

Booyaa makes some great stuff and its moderately priced.

http://www.booyaaclothing.com/

I am NOT SPONSORED BY THEM.. but, I love their clothing. I wear their shorts all the time... and their waterproof pants and jacket.
Fish Chris

Hey Cooch....

Post by Fish Chris »

I totally agree with everything you said.

I have two pairs of Frog Toggs which are light and compact, and a good thing to keep tucked away in the storage of your boat. But for serious rain, for many years to come, BPS or Cabelas Guidewear.

Fish
G3 Boats
a Yamaha Boat Company

Okuma fishing tackle

TUF-Line by Western Filament

www.TrophyBassOnly.com
....or from here, find links to
Trophy Sportfish .com
and Fish Chris Photo .com
Old School

Post by Old School »

Well, I did it yet again. A buddy showed me Rivers West gear and it is not cheap. However, it is the best stuff I've ever seen. Fleece and/or mesh lining with dry suit neoprene layer and then fleece again on the outside. I bought the Kenai Jacket for casual weather (35-70 degrees) and the Ambush Jacket for extreme/foul weather (18-50 degrees). Compared to BPS' 100MPH Goretex series, Rivers West blew them away (i.e. Comfort, Durability, Quiet, etc). Go to http://www.riverswest.com and see for yourself.
Don

Post by Don »

Noticed cabela's and BPS have jacket's and parka's, what's best for northern calif ?
201Pro

Post by 201Pro »

Go to Walmart's fishing department, they have some new FLW series rain gear that are made by Stearns and are very good. I believe the big is $50 and the Parka is ~$60.
Chris
Minn Kota Fortrex 112
lionkiller

Post by lionkiller »

Cooch wrote:Take a look at the BPS Pro Qualifier series Gore Tex, AWESOME rain gear and NO Logos! Ya just can't beat Gore Tex, the Frogg Toggs will do, I was actually sponsored by them fer several years. But if'n ya fish a lot, they will wear down real fast, tear easily when hooks git caught in em, and seem to drain right down yer chest often when in driving rain storms. Toggs are nice an light, and work great for them mildly raining days, but if'n yer in a nasty storm or out often, ya need to invest in GoreTex, they'll last ya 10-15 years!!!!!
Mr. C. is right on point. I bought a pair of Frogg Toggs last year, & they're about wore out already. If ya fish 1x a month and get into rain only occasionally, they're fine. But I fish 2-5 times a week, & get into rainy weather more than occasionally. Toggs just ain't gonna cut it, if you spend a lot of time out in the weather.

I upgraded to Gore-Tex, in the form of Burton Snowboard gear. It works awesome, but if'n ya thought Guide Wear was expensive...watch out.

When it's cold, I have fleece underwaderwear (True!) made by Hodgman...works really well under the Gore.
It's just a beating.....till you fight back.
Joe Bruce

Post by Joe Bruce »

hey Gene bought some of your gear two years ago, couldnt be happier
fishfynder

Post by fishfynder »

Cabelas has Dry Plus Guide Classic rain gear on sale. Check the winter sale catalog. Excellent product. I believe its $50 off reg price.
[img]http://www.leehines.com/leehines/images2/ronw.gif[/img]
Old School

Post by Old School »

Rivers West gear is less expensive than the BPS series. It is the best stuff I've ever seen. Fleece and/or mesh lining with dry suit neoprene layer and then fleece again on the outside. I bought the Kenai Jacket for casual weather (35-70 degrees) and the Ambush Jacket for extreme/foul weather (18-50 degrees). Compared to BPS' 100MPH Goretex series, Rivers West blew them away (i.e. Comfort, Durability, Quiet, etc). Go to http://www.riverswest.com and see for yourself.
basshunter4u

Post by basshunter4u »

I use the BPS XPS gortex bibs and jacket. Not only do they keep you bone dry they keep you from getting frozen to the bone. I am on my 4th year with this set. Kinda pricy but worth the weight in gold for the durability, comfort, and peice of mind

Don O
never give up, be possitive and patient, and you will be rewarded
Brian

Post by Brian »

If you fish alot of cold weather and like to LAYER you cloths, then this is the only way to go. This stuff is awsome.

http://www.sitkagear.com/Sitka+Gear

-John Wayne[/color]