Is winterizing our motors necessary here in the valley?

jaime7819

Is winterizing our motors necessary here in the valley?

Post by jaime7819 »

I plan on fishing through winter except december and january. What do you guys think? I live in Merced, cali.
Bill K

Re: Is winterizing our motors necessary here in the valley?

Post by Bill K »

If you never get several days of freezing weather, then you probably do not have to worry to much about water in the line, engine freezing and damaging anything. However I would surely place some fuel stabilizer in the fuel system and on the last run, prior to storing for the two months, it would be in the fuel system. While it is down for that perior of time, it would be a good idea to replace your impeller on the lower unit and start fresh, epecially if your have not replaced it for one to two years. Up in my neck of the woods, for that length of time we would also fog the cylinders. That is for outboards, now for I/O's your really want to drain all the water from the block, low points of hose's, etc. and also check the other things mentioned above. Bill K :)
Fun fishing the country, each and every week.
Bill kizer

Post by Bill kizer »

If you're talking about a stern drive yes.
Just call me Tule bender
BIG DADDY BLUE RANGER

Post by BIG DADDY BLUE RANGER »

if your boats garaged then I wouldn't worry,, if kept outdoors maybe... stabill is a good idea anytime your storing anything with gas for 60+ days. I've never winterized anything and never had a problem,, but my boat and dirtbikes are kept in the garage and I fish all winter long. speaking of which, why would you want to skip out on december and january.. just fish more and don't worry about it.
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

What Bill said!!!!