Toyota 4 banger ?

skolnuts

Toyota 4 banger ?

Post by skolnuts »

Anyone one on here tow there fiberglass rig with a Toyota 4 cylinder truck. I have a 1997 Tacoma with 4 wheel drive. I am looking to get a newer boat. I currently have an aluminum tracker and i do like the tracekrs, but fiberglass are starting to get more appealing. I wouldnt tow much, cuz i would prolly keep the boat at a marina or a freinds house in livermore. My main concern is gettin it out of the water at the end of the day. Yes, i have read my manual and if i understand correctly i am can tow upto 1900lbs. I aint getting a new truck as my yota is very dependable and paid off. Thanks in advance.
Dan McKenzie

Re: Toyota 4 banger ?

Post by Dan McKenzie »

if you have a 4 wheel drive 4 cyl with decent tires (traction) you shouldn't have any problems yanking it out of the water with your truck.
hunterdave

Post by hunterdave »

Danny,

Have you decided on what type of boat yet?

Dave :D
Dave Gorden
Pro-Staff Bass Angler's Guide the Magazine
Pro-Staff Reaction Strike
Pro-Staff Radical Glow
dave@bassanglersguide.com
www.bassanglersguide.com
www.reactionstrike.com
www.radicalglow.com
Joe Bruce

Post by Joe Bruce »

I towed an 87 19 foot 200 hp stratos (super heavy boat)all over the state with a 95 tacoma 4x4, had the 2.7 ltr 3rzfe motor. hp or gettin going was never an issue, no problems gettin out of the water at all.

had a few close calls stopping in time so give a little extra room.
jaime7819

Post by jaime7819 »

I have a 98 2.7 4x4 and havent had any real problems. The only thing is that i normally fish the motherlode lakes and "have to" use 4 wheel drive "low" to get out smoothly due to the long ramps. Other than that, just the same as others above. I have a 86, 365v ranger, '18'.
DeltaDan

Post by DeltaDan »

4wd Low can pull most anything out of the water....... Clutches are fairly inexpensive to replace if done by-self -- Auto tranny's are not at all cheap to replace.............. Image
You know, we always called each other goodfellas. Like, you'd say to somebody: "You're gonna like this guy; he's all right. He's a goodfella. He's one of us." You understand? We were goodfellas, wiseguys.

[b]Team LL [/b] (2006 ~ And Beyond !! )
fishwithron2

Post by fishwithron2 »

I have a 96 2/4 v6 4 runner and going on 195,000 and have pulled it to Clear lake on hy 20 no problem. So far no oil leak,burning oil or transmission problem. Have not had any problem in any ramp even at Oroville when the water is low.
Still getting 16 mpg pulling my 18' champ. Only did reg matintence and oil change every 5000.
David Rogers

Post by David Rogers »

I used to pull my 16 foot skeeter with a 150 hp merc with my 1990 2.4 toyota 2 wheel drive, if you have a 4 or 5 speed no problems just don't smoke the clutch, if you have a automatic I would be carefull but you should be OK.

God bless and Fiberglass Rules!!!
David 371V Rogers
allbelac

Post by allbelac »

I used to tow a 17ft Monarch fish and ski with a lifted 81 four banger yota. No problems towing, a little longer to stop, but went through many a clutch towing that boat.