Too much time getting on plain

Bill kizer

Too much time getting on plain

Post by Bill kizer »

I have a 175 HP opti max on an 18' Nitro 882. It takes forever to get on plain. Once I'm up it runs like a bat out of hell. I only have two hours or so on the motor so I'm still in the high oil consumption phase.
I've had several other boats, but this is my first true bass boat. Is this normal for a bass boat or did they put on the incorrect prop?
Bill
PS I went to Oroville today and the bite is still on. I'm so upset with myself, I lost a hog right at the boat.
Gator

Bill - It could be several factors

Post by Gator »

I would say if you are still in the break-in phase, that could be part of the problem. It could very well be the prop, but more likely is weight distribution, balance, etc. I have been in a few Nitro's and they do seem to get on plane pretty quick.

What type of prop (brand/size/pitch) do you have on the boat?

Any jackplate?

With more info there are some very knolwedgable people on the board who could help.
Sacto John

Re: Too much time getting on plain

Post by Sacto John »

Sounds like you may have too much prop. More specifics would help. You may also want to post this question on one of the boards at bassboatcentral.com. The guys over there have boat set-ups down.
Bill kizer

Post by Bill kizer »

The prop is a 48-825942-25p, it's a four bladed prop, and the boat has a seven inch jack plate.
As far as weight distribution, I had the live well empty but a full tank of gas. All my tackle is forward.
Thanks Bill
Vernonn

Trim down -

Post by Vernonn »

Trim down all the way and give full throttle till you get up on pad then ease off the throttle.

Otherwise, if it is a Quicksilver Trophy Plus prop, you might need to play with the vent plugs around the hub of the Prop.

-vernon
Hipster

My last boat was a 882 with a four blade from the Factory...

Post by Hipster »

Went to a Tempest 23 had Gary the prop magic man @ Trupitch bluprint it and it was like having a whole different boat. Yes the 882 will run like a raped ape with the right prop setup, I am living testimony!!!

That four blade is wrong!!! Here is alink where Nitro guys only can help ya even further

http://www.nitroowners.com/nitroowners/
Four Decades of Red!!!!!!!!

When in Doubt Set the Hook!!!

Mark
NaCl

Post by NaCl »

Don't mess with major prop changes until the break-in period is completed. I don't know about Opti's but the computer on other brands automatically increases the oil mixture for the first 5 hours. Right now, any changes you make are only good until the double oiling stops after break-in. This heavy oiling robs the motor of low end torque for getting on pad. But, once the motor break-in period is complete, then you can accurately test different prop configurations for the long haul. Until then, just use bigger vents plugs in that Trophy Plus prop.

.....NaCl