Minnows...

Calistar

Minnows...

Post by Calistar »

Ok, I'm headed to Clearlake....and if the swimbait don't work and the jig, crankbait, Rip bait, dropshot, and darthead don't work...then I'm going to try minnows for the first time ever. I never thought I would revert to live bait but from what I hear, it can be worth it.

any advice?

I am planning on tryin that splitshot method (not the bobber thing). I understand that I hook a #2 hook into the minnows upper lip and then let it drop to the bottom then slowly retrieve? Then if I get a bite, let the fish take it before setting?

Any advice about minnows and/or the current bite at CL appreciated.

Greg H.
backlash

Re: Minnows...

Post by backlash »

I went to the "dark side" and tried them for the first time there this past fall. I should be writing this under a false name I guess. But boy can they be FUN. We drop-shotted them. Though they will "inhale" them we didn't lose or kill any due to deep hooking which was good. They would definately make it a fun outing for someone who didn't fish very much but it could easily spoil them. Would recommend rocky points with deep water access and it shouldn't take long for a response.
BIG DADDY BLUE RANGER

Post by BIG DADDY BLUE RANGER »

when I fished minners some years back I found if you still fish em... you will get some deep hooked fish :(

but when I slow trolled (about 10 or 20 on my MK) em on a split shot rig (or a slip bobber for that matter).... EVERY fish was perfectly lip hooked and was released in good shape..

I used #2 or #1 drop shot gammi hook on 8lb mono...and would hook em up through the bottom lip and out through the top lip between the nostrils... they stayed pretty lively this way,,, and if you only go through one lip a lot of times they'll come off to easily.

points, rock piles, the ends of deep water docks.... dont forget sand beach areas that have some boulders in the afternoon sun........ it always amazed me how shallow some big giants would be in that cold, cold water... they group up in huge schools in small areas so when you find one, keep on em.

25-50 fish days with best 5 going 25-30+ lbs were the norm. My best went 37-13....mid Dec through Jan... it's hard not to have fun with days like that any time of the year,, but especially in the wintertime...even if it's done on live bait.... gets expensive though. On a good day you can expect to go through 4-8 dozen large/jumbo baits

Again,, please don't still fish em... you will never feel the bite that way and by the time you realize a fish is there,,, it'll be too late and they'll be gut hooked.......... when you find a good spot... just slow troll back and forth across it with about 40' on line behind the boat...

I'm getting worked up just thinking bout them days,,, I might have to make a Clear lake minner trip myself real soon :D
BIG DADDY BLUE RANGER

Post by BIG DADDY BLUE RANGER »

Oh, one more thing.... when you slow troll,, you can feel your miner shake when he gets nervous.... you'll know a bite is near... then you'll either feel a slight thump or dead mushy weight like your dragging a weed... just a nice and easy sweep of the rod to set the hook.. I never waited long for fear of a deep hooked fish and missed very few....

bobber fishing was a little different and you would have to wait longer to make sure they had it.... it's fun watching that bobber go under but a little more risky on our little green freinds health.
Calistar

Post by Calistar »

Thanks for the info, guys....

Does anyone know the current water temp?

G.
lionkiller

Post by lionkiller »

Water temp was 51-52 last night. I use a small cork bobber & a #2 Owner Mutu circle hook to avoid the gut hook issue.
It's just a beating.....till you fight back.
Scott L

Post by Scott L »

Late last winter my buddy and I took started taken our kids out to one of the south bay lakes and had one of our spinning rods rigged up with a circle hook and split shot to drag behind the boat while we fished and the kids threw whatever was on their snoopy rods in the lake, boat, back of our head...you get the picture.

Off just the one rod the 3 kids took turns reeling in the bass. With the circle hook and slowly moving down the bank none of the bass were deeply hooked. They were always hooked in the corner of the mouth. Keep in mind we were not holding the rod. The combination of the boat moving and the bass swimming off slowly pulled the hook into the corner of the mouth like it is designed to.

The fish we caught many times came from areas we would never have fished or thought to hold bass. It was great for the kids, they caught several fish in the 3-4# range on a couple of trips.

At first I would wedge the butt of the rod in the spokes of the steering wheel to hold the rod and then I added a rod holder to the swim ladder on the back of the boat.

Give the circle hooks a try and the bass are generally not too hook shy so you should be able to use a decent size hook.

Good luck
Scott
Lugnut

Post by Lugnut »

Give Bob a call at Limit Out Tackle in Clear Lake Oaks. He was on Ultimate Bass last week talking to KB about how good the minnow bite was, and that it was only getting better. He should be able to give you some ideas / tips. Oh and from what I hear.........HOLD ON!!!!!!!
Don't ask about my username, all I need to say is check yours and check them often.

HomeBrew Tackle Co.
Terry Smith

Post by Terry Smith »

Geg also try a carolina rig set up. A lot more sensative than the split shot and do keep the boat moving realy slow. You will feel your minnow get all CRAZY right before BWAAAMMMYYY!!!!! BASS ON!!! Good luck at Clear Lake

Terry
http://www.basscat.com
http://www.tntbaits.com/
Lounge Lizard Extreme Bass Fishing
(916) 719-7225
Marc

Post by Marc »

put your boat in shallow water on a good point, and cast your split shot rig out to the deep end of the point. Main lake points are best.

Fishing uphill allows you to use the lightest shot possible (use just enough to keep the minnow near the bottom). Light shot means longer minnow life, and more action. Experiment with hooking locations. Some minnows work better hooking through both lips, and some work better when hooked all the way through the top of both eye sockets, and others work best by hooking behind the dorsal fin.

If you don't use a baitcaster with a clicker during freespool, then be sure to hit your freespool button as soon as you detect the strike. Yes, let the bass run so it has time to release the minnow and reswallow it. Circle hooks will greatly improve your success in catch and release.
www.RangerBoats.com
www.Evinrude.com
www.QuickDropsWeights.com
www.Yamamoto.Baits.com
www.Lamiglas.com
www.Gamakatsu.com
www.LuckyCraft.com
www.Lowrance.com
www.TransducerShieldandSaver.com