I Just Dont Get It, Maybe I am To Old To??

Guy Kelley

I Just Dont Get It, Maybe I am To Old To??

Post by Guy Kelley »

First Columbine?

Last week a shopping center of innocent people!!

And Now At A Church!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Am I missing something here, or has the world gone up side down?

For Our Youth!!!!!

This is certainly NOT Fishing Related soooo, Ill take it to the political board.

See Ya There-------------------->
Yeah ? It's Me Again, SO WHAT!!!!!
Dan McKenzie

Re: I Just Dont Get It, Maybe I am To Old To??

Post by Dan McKenzie »

in this world of video game shoot em up, parenting by dvd, lack of "real" and meaningful discipline, unavailable/checked out parents, it really doesn't surprise me anymore. i realize that the world has changed from when i grew up in the 60-70's, but i also see involved parents out there keeping their kids on the right track and know it's possible to do if your a committed parent. if more parents would take some time and involve themselves in their kids lives, DeltaDan seems to be a good example of that, his life seems to be centered around his family, when he puts those pictures up you see two happy boys happily engaged in something meaningful and real with their parents, instead of some fantasyland of guts and gore on an xbox/ or whatever the newest fad happens to be.
my .02 cents
BassManDan

Post by BassManDan »

I agree whole heartedly. Being of a younger generation, I certainly witnessed the videogame revolution, but c'mon stuff on TV never is a substitute for real life experience (well maybe a little Family Guy or King of the Hill). Yeah there are alot of parents out there who have almost no family time, but there is also alot of the hands off mentality and letting there kids do what they enjoy, but when that enjoyment is sitting glue to the playstation for 4 hrs straight, its time to step in!

BassManDan
BassManDan - 1997 Stratos 295 Pro Elite

"In the spirit of akido, sh-sh-sh-shaaa."
-Dale Gribble from TV's "King of the Hill"

"It would be the best of all possible worlds were it not for religion."
- John Adams, 1776
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

Yes you are too old, video games dont encourage violence, the bible is chalked full of violence and has never been cited as a source for encouragment of violence. Parenting is the core of this issue.

The fact is that media has made us far too aware of the dark side of society that years ago we would have covered up.

But again I would agree with your assertion, you are too old.
- JaJa Jigs - Get THUNKED
Links to Check Out -
https://www.instagram.com/jm_ash/
https://www.bestbasstournaments.com/
ONTHETHING !!!

Post by ONTHETHING !!! »

Dan your kind words toward Delta Dan and his family are right on the mark. I dont know Dan personally but have always enjoyed the times he shares with us the stories and adventures they take. I say thank you for shareing your family with us. I think I could speak for many that do know you and say well done and keep doing what you are doing. I have read other posts and seen pictures of other families and there great. Raising kids in the world we live in today is a challenge and I think in the area we live even more so. ONTHETHING!!!
Brian

Post by Brian »

You guys hit the nail on the head with BrothA Dan. I've got to know him over the last year and he is a Great family man. We both follow the same value's when it comes to the Kids, get them out in the outdoor's whether it be Hunting, Fishing, Sports. Oh they get their Xbox time too, but they will always choose the outdoor activity first.

Too many parents these days are just plain too lazy to raize their kids right and pay any attention to them. I see it all the time. It is partially societies fault as well, The whole pussification of todays youth. Kids are treated as if they are adults when they are not even teenagers yet. You spank your kid in public and you go to jail. No disipline or attention is the main problem.

Oh and P.S. Guy you are TOO old :shock:
[color=#0040FF]"Life's tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid."

-John Wayne[/color]
miklanderson

Post by miklanderson »

Blaming video games is a cop out. There is virtually nothing tying video games to most of the shootings. I agree that poor parenting plays a huge part in it. Parents need to take a more active role in their kids lives. I keep my daughter in sports and take her fishing every chance I get. She gets some video game time but I try to make it a family activity as well. Every Sunday we spend an hour or two playing the Nintendo Wii as a family. I limit her game time to appropriate games and keep it to a minimum. The violent video games are for me...Call of Duty 4 or Halo 3 anyone...?

I don't beat her but I wont hesitate to spank her or discipline her as necessary. A lot of people have it wrong. It isnt illegal to spank/discipline your kids. It's when you cross the line into beating them that it gets illegal. The sissification of America makes me sick. People are teaching their kids that it's OK to do what they want when they want and then wonder why they act out. Kids need to know their role and have limits set and they need to be punished when they cross the line. I'll quit rambling now but this something I feel pretty strongly about.
Phil

Post by Phil »

RIGHT ON BRIAN !!!!!!!!!!!!
g-man

Post by g-man »

I agree brian. Dan is one hell of a guy, and a class act, one good family guy, and one of my good friends. Video games, and Tv are a cop out, its how you are raised that can affect your life, and how you live it. And even being raised in a good family may not stop you from running a bad course. Trust me i have been there and done it, alot has to do with who you hang with, your peers can take you down the wrong road in a hurry. What it all comes down to is making the right choices in life, and that in itself is alot harder then you think, when you run with the wrong crowd. TV and video games had nothing to do with the poor choices I made at a young age. parents must look for the signs, and they are not that hard to see. Its about communication, and keeping on top of what your children are doing.
100% LL
Ricky-S

Post by Ricky-S »

Yeah there are a lot of things that we could point the finger at. Parenting is only one of several things that aren’t as they should or used to be.

I would also like to add that it must be a challenge to be a parent during a time where it takes two incomes just to pay the bills. How many people drive cars and live in houses that they really can’t afford. Trying to keep up with the Jones’ and the Jones’ are one check from losing everything.

My single mother worked two fulltime jobs to afford me the opportunities at a better life. She was around when she could be and she wasn't when she couldn't. That didn’t cause me to go kill anyone. In fact it gave me a greater appreciation for hard work and sacrifice. My point is that I learned from my mother's sacrifice as a measure of understanding that I didn't want to live life that way because she provide a way out.

Some parents don't have a choice, with the cost of living, but to work from sun up to sun down.

We are also live during a time where violence is seemingly the answer to everything. No longer is the village to raise a child concept accepted by the masses. You said what to MY child....

The truth is that a lot of us are afraid of young people and it is the fear that allows certain behaviors that would have been checked in the past to go un-checked today. You cannot even discipline your children without risking going to jail. Not to say that children aren’t abused because they are.

Look at the way we treat our women. Fake boobs, fake hair, and a fake sense of beauty....I work at a college where I drive by 15-30 year old prostitutes on a daily basis. Many of whom where kicked out of group homes where they were abused.

Look at the way that we treat one another. My opinion is the only one that counts. I am right and you are wrong. Someone told me in college that you can be right and wrong at the same time. This totally changed my life.

I could go on, but I think that you all may get my point.

That’s why I go fishing is to get away from the things that need correction in this world.

Something is wrong...and I blame it on the Republicans and Democrats... Just kidding :lol:
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

Ricky must work at the Same college I work at..... Day Hookers are FUGLY!!!

I would also agree with the "it takes a village aspect" When I was a kid getting cought by my neighbor meant I was in trouble and I would get disciplined with them, taken home to have my mom give it to me only to wait for my father to come home and give it to me again BAMO trifecta!!

My neighborhood didnt blink twice to correct wrong decsions with its youth. Luckily where I live in Antelope we have the same "Old School" mentality and all of the parents respect each other and have no issues with verbal discipline and calling each other.

But I still say Guy is too old :lol:

Oh Yeah and count me in for a round of Halo 3 or BioShock.....I need to shoot some things :twisted:
- JaJa Jigs - Get THUNKED
Links to Check Out -
https://www.instagram.com/jm_ash/
https://www.bestbasstournaments.com/
B Becker

Post by B Becker »

Shoot, that is National news......not to add more sorrow, but we had 6 kids shot at a bus stop 2 days ago (no one was killed, but two are in serious condition), and a kid brought a gun to the high school I teach at on Monday.....and he is one of my best kids....and I teach at the best high school in the state!!!.....I get floored on a daily basis (you just never know).....it is very scary, and I truly don't have the answers....I do believe parents are the key, my dad worked 3 jobs when I grew up, but he had the fear of God in me, and he always took me fishing!!!! :wink: You have to keep them active!! I can go on and on (because I think the public schools could do more too), but all I can say is talk to your kids on a daily basis, and not just a simple "what's up?"
Brent Becker

Sponsors:
www.brentbeckerfishing.com
www.skeeterboats.com
www.basspro.com
www.bassaholics.com
www.maxima-lines.com
Calistar

Post by Calistar »

Something to consider...

I did a quick scan of the some of the top TV shows (all of these are in the top 10) for this week, and checked to see what the episode was about...

CSI - Illegal Dog Fighting, a Murdered Sociallite, Warrick tries to prove he is innocent of murdering an Exotic Dancer.

Without a Trace - A Maintainence Foreman vanishes after a confrontation with a a worker.

Law & Order - Three Teens found shot.

Cold Case - A 1973 Murder case is re-opened about a cop that was shot in the chest.

This was just after a few minutes research. THESE are some of the most popular shows on TV. This is Murder and incredible Violence shown on our TV screens each and every night.

Just these four shows alone represent 60+ Million viewers.

and there are dozens more just like them.

In contrast here are the top ten from 1977-78:

1. Laverne & Shirley
2. Happy Days
3. Three's Company
4. Charlie's Angels
5. All In The Family
6. Little House on the Prairie
7. 60 Minutes
8. M*A*S*H
9. One Day At A Time
10. Alice

G.
Last edited by Calistar on Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Terry Smith

Post by Terry Smith »

Brian wrote:You guys hit the nail on the head with BrothA Dan. I've got to know him over the last year and he is a Great family man. We both follow the same value's when it comes to the Kids, get them out in the outdoor's whether it be Hunting, Fishing, Sports. Oh they get their Xbox time too, but they will always choose the outdoor activity first.

Too many parents these days are just plain too lazy to raize their kids right and pay any attention to them. I see it all the time. It is partially societies fault as well, The whole pussification of todays youth. Kids are treated as if they are adults when they are not even teenagers yet. You spank your kid in public and you go to jail. No disipline or attention is the main problem.
AMEN BROTHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NUFF SAID!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I see it EVERY DAY!!!!!!!!!
http://www.basscat.com
http://www.tntbaits.com/
Lounge Lizard Extreme Bass Fishing
(916) 719-7225
getalife

Post by getalife »

I haven't been fishing since Halo 3 came out... is that bad? I think I'm still married... is that bad? My kids... what ever their names are... are being well taken care of by some one. The real important thing is that I finished the "Cortana" and "Ark" levels on Legendary, AND I have found 12 of the 13 skulls. Think of all the money I saved on boat and truck fuel... that will buy at least a semester of college for one of my kids. DAMN! I'm sick of all you guys bashing us dead-beat parents.
CHANGE is not a destination, and HOPE is not a strategy!
Brian

Post by Brian »

getalife wrote:I haven't been fishing since Halo 3 came out... is that bad? .
Not only is it bad, It is a damn tradgedy. C.O.D. 4 IS A MUCH BETTER GAME.
[color=#0040FF]"Life's tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid."

-John Wayne[/color]
g-man

Post by g-man »

Oh yeah, yes you are old Guy! haha! See ya soon!
100% LL
Guy Kelley

Re: I Just Don't Get It, Maybe I am To Old To??

Post by Guy Kelley »

At 58 dose that make me to old or just as old as Dirt???? :lol:

I thought this was going to stay in the Political board, but nope! :shock:

Just a little on me!

I was raise by a single Mom of 3 who was also a very active parent in our community, schools and other civic groups. She was a farmer here in Brentwood when most men worked in the local mills supporting there families on $5.00 or less and hr. average wage was $1.25 hr. She would take us fishing on the Santa Cruz and Lake Tahoe pier and baited my hook when I was 5. Helped me become a member of the Y.M.C.A were I went on to take back packing trips to the bottom of the Grand Canyon and Europe. As well as having fun stuffing as many as 12 kids from the inter City of Oakland into my V.W so we could go shoot hoops at the school. I later became a counselor for some of these kids for the Y. But was raised in Brentwood on a Farm working like a Adult at 10 years old, for .65 cents a hr. True I had privileged, status, money, a upper crust life style, went to some privet schools, and over all had the ability to enjoy a life style that was envied my most of my friends when I was a teenager and young adult.

Then came the late 60's, and Sex, Drugs and Rock and Roll which I embraced whole heartily. Why? Friends and the wrong choice or decisions that I made as how to live my life at the time. Lets just say I spent more time on Telegraph Ave in Berkeley and the Height Ashbury in S.F than I spent in College. Thinking I had all of the answers too life at the time. Yeah Right!

My Mom was old school and all about respect of others and never was afraid to whack me with a floor board when discipline was needed or Using Grandma's pepper or soap when I back talked.

Most of you have hit it on the head, and Dan is on the right track. My Sons are 24 and 26 and doing fine. My wife of 34 years and I have raised them on the same principles that we were instilled with as we were raise with. She's a farmers daughter too.

But sooner or later it comes down to choice. and what these kids do with it. We can show them the right path to walk and hopefully they will. But ultimately it is there decision. Just like Matthews in Colorado.

Just my 02's worth :)
MIKE TREMONT

Post by MIKE TREMONT »

All of the above.

Another thing to consider, as the population grows, so will the percentages of nut jobs.

With the lack of serious punishment in this country, it gives a lot of these wackos even more reason to commit these cowardly acts.
I had to come back...I know...
miklanderson

Post by miklanderson »

getalife wrote:I haven't been fishing since Halo 3 came out... is that bad? I think I'm still married... is that bad? My kids... what ever their names are... are being well taken care of by some one. The real important thing is that I finished the "Cortana" and "Ark" levels on Legendary, AND I have found 12 of the 13 skulls. Think of all the money I saved on boat and truck fuel... that will buy at least a semester of college for one of my kids. DAMN! I'm sick of all you guys bashing us dead-beat parents.
LOL...I've beat it on legendary and have all of the skulls...Got Live? Family comes 1st but I still manage to squeeze in some game time...
getalife

Post by getalife »

Hey miklanderson,

I have 12 skulls and I know where the 13th is but I cant get it! How do you get up to the circular platform in the cortana level... I know you have to climb the fungal growths on the left side, but I just cant do it.

See... you guys thought I was kidding about my addiction. Actually we are on a strict xbox schedule and the kids play with me on the weekends only. I am limited (by my wife) to 2 hours a day on weekend days only. (I have been known to sneak down in the middle of the night... sleepwalking)

As for fishing... I really have not been out since this game came out but I decided to take the year off from tournaments since my boat goes in for MAJOR repair of gel coat cracks and I expect to lose it for a few months.
getalife

Post by getalife »

As far as xbox live... no I haven't hooked it up because I don't want my kids to have access. Or better yet... I don't want the public to have access to my kids.
upriverLMB

Post by upriverLMB »

Mod’s please move this BS. Totally non-fishing related. Spank your kids A$$ and get over it. This site is dedicated to what’s the best swimbait or knock-off swimbait and when to use one with which rod or reel using what lb mono or floro, best net and drag tension used by which fisherperson or team knowing when to throw one at what depth what time of day on which lake or region, watching what video on which website best duplicating live trout buba rigged in tree tops
LMB
mac (Doyle McEwen)

Post by mac (Doyle McEwen) »

Dang man, is that why I am not catching any fish..

mac
Take a kid fishing, and don't forget about us older kids either..
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

Having been in law-enforcement for 28 years, I believe it is a couple of things mainly. First this country can not get it thru thier heads to execute people that kill another person, by any means. Not coddle them for years in prison, with dozens of appeals, whereby attorneys get rich, and the criminal lives better than they ever did on their own. The second great cause is the family breakdown, whereby parents just let the kids run wild, with no chores, control or guidence, as we had when we were growing up. There are others causes, but those two are, in my opinion, the main ones. Bill K :(
Fun fishing the country, each and every week.
MikeSouza

Post by MikeSouza »

I am younger than most on here and would have to say parenting is the most critical thing in a child's life. For example, none of my brothers or sisiter have ever been in any serious trouble with the law. We all have been or are in college and know what it takes to have succes in our lives. My parents disiplined me when I did something wrong. They always wanted to know who I was with and what were going to be doing. We did a lot of family vacations and had dinner at the table at night.

Now I look at some of my friends whose parents let them do whatever they wanted to do. They never asked questions about who they were hangiong out with or what they were going to do. I know some are in jail, some are in for a tough road in their life, a few never made it past high school, and there are the ones that like their drugs.

Even though I don't have any children of my own yet. I watch and examine different families I know and how their kids act. The parents that show love, do family things together, and want to e involved with their kids lives seem to do better.
http://www.omegacustomtackle.com
http://www.savephace.com
http://fishingsponsors.com
bassindon69

Post by bassindon69 »

It's just in them (kids). If talking does no good, taking things away does no good, grounding does no good, what do you do? Some people are just going to be good people. Some are going to be something other than good people. Even people that have it all do bad things and some people that had nothing and bad parents are great people.
You can't always blame the parents. Kids KNOW when they are doing wrong, You did when you were a kid, Right? :roll:
Are you trying to tell me if Manson or any other bad person was your kid they would be fine? What a joke! :roll:

Don.
Go Big or Go Home!
http://calfishing.com/gallery/v/members/bassindon69/basspics/
912nitro

Post by 912nitro »

sad isnt it.. .......that someone whoud think that is real family life..........which i NEVER have & refuse to watch.. or anything like those shows.
which is the point of this thread............... TV isnt real, & INMO 99.999 % of what you see on tv is not real............&, IF YOUR NOT ON THE RIGHT PATH... THAN YOUR ON A WRONG PATH.......

the TRUTH is available... & its not difficult to find............ Its been my observation that when a person comes ion contact with truth that they think its * weird* or even * stupid *, because we only have lots of bads things to compare it to......
Wise men STILL seek Him....
parker

Post by parker »

912nitro wrote:99.999 % of what you see on tv is not real

and that includes those those lunkers Bill Dance always catches :lol:

he fishes the same spot every time. . . . . . . . . . . . . a point that is parallel to the bank with a ditch in the middle :roll:
Parker
g-man

Post by g-man »

bassindon69 wrote:It's just in them (kids). If talking does no good, taking things away does no good, grounding does no good, what do you do? Some people are just going to be good people. Some are going to be something other than good people. Even people that have it all do bad things and some people that had nothing and bad parents are great people.
You can't always blame the parents. Kids KNOW when they are doing wrong, You did when you were a kid, Right? :roll:
Are you trying to tell me if Manson or any other bad person was your kid they would be fine? What a joke! :roll:

Don.
Bingo! It is good to be raised in a good family, and can help some. But you can still go bad. take me for example. I grew up in a good family, but just grew up in the wrong area, ran with the wrong people did the wrong things, and it had nothing to do with TV, video, games, or my parents. i choose to get in a gang, I choose to do the things that you do when you are in one nobody made that choice but me. Then I choose to clean my act up, nobody made that choice but me either. We choose are own paths in life there is no one to blame but yourself! Putting the blame on anything else is a cop out!
100% LL
Slippy

Post by Slippy »

i happen to know Dan and his live does revolve around his Wife and kids. I think this generation has lost sight ot the importance of family time.

My hats off to Dan for taking the time to spend with his kids.
LL
Guy Kelley

BINGO !!!!!!!!!-G-MANS GOT IT

Post by Guy Kelley »

Were as the kids of the intercity gang life don't have much of a chance today, because they are surrounded by a life that they try to emulate & some how they think respect of life comes of intimidation and the color they swear allegiance too. They on a daily basis are bombarded by the environment they are raised in. Just like the kids in Iraq, Afghanistan and other Countries were they are taught early in life that we are the Great Satin or any other religion beliefs are wrong except threes and its OK to strap a bomb on there chest and sacrifice there life for Alla.

Just as true that we have the local Ganges here in Brentwood with the same mind set influencing the kids with the thoughts that it is all about respect that is not earned or deserved. Except through intimation, violence and a total disregards to human life. Just look at who they have to look up to and hero worship.

Most kids today have more opportunity and advantage that you or I ever had to understand the value of Faith, Family and core value just as a result of being in school. (just say no to drugs at age 5)

The work starts at home were they learn value of oneself, and respect for others, whether its by one or two parents. Continues in school and is a 25 year investment in your children. When you don't have the time in the investment for your children because you are too busy or not interested except as a sperm Donner that's when the problem starts and continues through life. My sons are our investment and interest for life. and hopefully we have show them that there is more value to it than just feeling good and having fun while they are zoned out playing Nintendo and listening to Charles Mason or gang rap as a lot are today.

Hold on em tight guys, give them the tools they need to live a life with a future and promise of more than they can see on MTV Tell them that they are loved and cherished. be strict and stern as a parent. and willing to sacrifice it all for them. Be prepared to keep them in school and go on to collage even if you need to work two jobs to finance it. Be a teacher and show them a life not to be a follower but a leader. They are our future. :)

This is why The Casting Kids and Teen Pro is so very important. To give a chance to a child who doesnt have one. :shock:
I will see you there. :)
miklanderson

Post by miklanderson »

getalife wrote:Hey miklanderson,

I have 12 skulls and I know where the 13th is but I cant get it! How do you get up to the circular platform in the cortana level... I know you have to climb the fungal growths on the left side, but I just cant do it.

See... you guys thought I was kidding about my addiction. Actually we are on a strict xbox schedule and the kids play with me on the weekends only. I am limited (by my wife) to 2 hours a day on weekend days only. (I have been known to sneak down in the middle of the night... sleepwalking)

As for fishing... I really have not been out since this game came out but I decided to take the year off from tournaments since my boat goes in for MAJOR repair of gel coat cracks and I expect to lose it for a few months.
You've got a PM...I pretty much play on weekends only and when my daughter is in bed.

G-man...I agree that blaming someone else is a cop-out and that one makes their own choices in life. However, I do think that (a lot of the time not always) poor parenting also factors in. If you let your kids run wild and dont try to steer them on the right path, they are much more likely to get in trouble further down the road that a kid who was raised with parents who cared. Some kids wil get in trouble no matter what...
CN

Post by CN »

I grew up when you did get a butt whipin from Dad.........even in School from the Princaple.You know what's funny is we called him Mr.Brannon not Princaple Brannon.

Was it right maybe not and I have never touched my Kid's who are now adult's.

The Sociaty we live in now and state of this Country is no laughing matter.Sorry but our Nation's largest Lender just borrowed 7 billion from the World's region we are at War with...........think about it :shock:

I'm a High School dropout that ended up in Corporate America.We had our first layoff's since 1983 just before Christmas you want to know how an *** feel's......just ask me.

Sorry bad day