Need help from experts advice helps too. NORCAL Area

DarkBlades

Need help from experts advice helps too. NORCAL Area

Post by DarkBlades »

Ok, im at my aunts house in 209 area. Modesto area. Anyways Im near a river, thats full of about 2 pound Smallmouth bass. Any tips on what to use? I heard Grubs are working good but they never provide what colors there using. Color advice would be nice, thanks
Yeah, I think I got one! Nope, just another bite.
DarkBlades

Re: Need help from experts advice helps too. NORCAL Area

Post by DarkBlades »

Yesterday I used Like a Dark Greenish Grub along with 2 Small Spitshots (Its a small medium speed moving River.) Everytime I reeled my line to the shore I noticed that the Smallmouths were chasing my Slitshots (2) (that were generally far from the grub but not too far) as it was reeling in torwards the shore. Perhaps something Shiney? Im going to buy some Castmaster Spoons today and see if my luck changes.
TomAtkeson

Heres what I use for smallies )Generaly)

Post by TomAtkeson »

Smaller bomber model A, and other small profile crankbaits in the green craw and brown craw patterns. Tube baits spider grubs etc in greens and browns with red purple or blue flake. Dropshoting robo worms in folkstead special, warmouth, bold bluegill and aarons magic works well as well as fuscia thunder. Good luck.

Tom

PS where exactly is this river :twisted:
Tom Atkeson
http://www.blackdogbaitco.com
http://www.tylurecustombaits.com
http://www.skinnybearbassjigs.com
http://www.youtube.com/ibassfishing
Bill kizer

Post by Bill kizer »

Another thought is to use a jig head. The weight of the jig depends on the current, use your two spitshot as a guide for the amount of weight. Make sure you fish right on the bottom, locate rocks and such if you can. I prefer lighter colors but I'll bet the water there is on the murky side, greenish might be ok or dark reds maybe.
I have a whole boat full of stuff, just experiment is all you can do. Smallies also love live crawdads.
Hope this helps,
Bill.
Sacto John

Post by Sacto John »

I have fished most rivers in the Modesto area and usally use purple worms, small craw colred cranks, spinner baits, and top water baits.

Which river is it? That info could help me tell you a bit more info.
DarkBlades

Post by DarkBlades »

Im in Husghson or however you spell it 8) but yeah its a river that raises and decreases size. Colors around are Brown, the Waters generally clear. ALOT of Logs around. Thats where I found a small school of Smallies around.
DarkBlades

Post by DarkBlades »

Bingo! Im in Hughson* and the River im fishing at is known as..... hmm. It doesnt have a specific name. But from what I know, major Rivers Run through it. Theres catfish, Bass, and Salmon go up it sometime in the year. I have only Caught Bass Smallies. But Next Door Caught Catfish with Garbage. I wounder if theres Trout in this River, anyone know? The river runs through Fox Grove Fishing Access. Im fishing on the opposite side of Yosemite Blvd.(I guess if you really need to know, that is the river anyways.)
Sacto John

Post by Sacto John »

My in-laws live in Hughson, and the river that runs through Fox grove is the Toulmnee. I have fished that river a ton and I have done best on texas rigged purple 4" ribbon tail worms. Watermellon /red flake worms work as well, and don't forget to toss topwater. Tini Torpedos in frog color is a favorite of mine as are small white buzzbaits.
DarkBlades

Post by DarkBlades »

Alright im making a list....

Texas Rigged Purple 4" (Is that four inches? or just size 4) Ribbon Tail Worms. Anyways for sure, I will check out these out.

Tini Torpedos might do good as well. There are ALOT of frogs around. Under every Rock. Like Blackish Brownish Greenish frogs. My aunts Neighbors says there Toads. But they do look editable for Bass. Small little Creatures.

Any Spinners or spoons you Reccomend? I was thinking of Buying a couple of Silver Castmasters and maybe a Rooster tail. In the Fall I used a Black Rooster tail as well as a Black Crank Bait about 2" and caught alot of fish but all below 6 inches. Super Smallies. The baits I used didnt work in the winter. I havent used since then.. What do you think

PS. Thanks for the Tips guys, I will update you guys tomarrow once I go. Im leaving in about a Hour or So down to the River. Once my aunt gets home to take me the Big 5 Sporting Goods. Once again guys, Thanks alot. Resume tips, hopfully this tread will help others as well.
Sacto John

Post by Sacto John »

4 inch purple ribbon tail worms like Culprit and even the 4 inch Power worms. Another color to try in the power worms is camo.

I have never used in-line spinners or spoons as they are too apt to get hung up. 1/4 oz speed traps have worked for me as well.

That river is a ton of fun, it is where I learned to bass fish. There are some good sized largemouth in there as well.
DarkBlades

Post by DarkBlades »

Well Im young 15 (16 in august) actually learning more and more. I started Bass fishing in Coyote Lake almost 7 8 years back. And Fish for bass and Trout and whatever other fish wants my bait. I have to buy a licence next month so I have to enjoy my freedom of fishing while I can before I have to have to stick that Licence on my hat. I wouldnt care, atleast its official. Once I get the licence Im a Official Fisherman I guess. Official Angler, LOL Anyways Thanks alot Sacto John.
DarkBlades

Post by DarkBlades »

Im back tonight and decited to give a quick say on what hapend. I couldnt find exactly what I wanted but I got some Purple Worms. (For got what kind, but they have a little movment. I couldnt find any bass where I was fishing. Same place I did yesterday but the smallies left. No nibbles or anything. Im going to try maybe tomarrow and see if their there. ANyways, Good Night guys.
DarkBlades

Post by DarkBlades »

Good News Boys! The Smallies are back! And brought some of the Big guys along with them.
This morning they were BITING HARD. That 4" Texas Riging Worm worked Great. Ribbon tail worms actually were what I got; I just didnt notice something. Anyways worked great, not along of snaging either. I also seen a Large Trout or was it a Salmon. Something big jumped out of the water, wasnt a bass. Had a Side belly like a Salmon or Trout. VERY red. Pink Red. Hopfully I can hook him tonight. I also got a upclose bite on a pretty large Smallmouth. He just pulled the end of the worm; but sadly didnt take the hook.

Thanks again Sacto. I caught 2 bass and awhole lot of bites. I only caught 2 because wasnt there long enough but todays going to be great.
DarkBlades

Unfreaken Believeable!

Post by DarkBlades »

:wink:

As I said. Today was going to be great. I caught 2 smallies and a monster; this was huge. Biggest Bass I ever caught and it was my first Striper. No not a Stripper, lol. Take a Look

http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=7/19001452816.jpg&s=x2

It was about 1 Ft 4 inches. Not sure how much it weighed, didnt have a Fish Scale.

I caught it on 4 inch Purple Worms with Ribbon Tails. (or twirl tails) I was using a Texas Rig with a Bullet Weight(just to give it that little Nose dive to find them. Most fun I ever had. Alot fun guys. This ONE, really paid off.