Spook rod?

fishinfool74

Spook rod?

Post by fishinfool74 »

I am in the market for another rod and thought I would get some other imput on what's a good rod. I was looking at a Powell 702cb or the 703cb glass. Should i go glass or not?
TheFLY

Re: Spook rod?

Post by TheFLY »

I definitely would not like to work a Spook all day with glass. It is too heavy and floppy for my tastes.

Take a look at the Dobyns 733 and 734 ... my personal preference is the 734 you can cast quite a bit further. I also don't like to use crankbait rods for Spooks. I guess if I were throwing braid I would feel like I needed that extra give ... but I use 12 lb McCoy line and it definitely provides enough stretch with the 734 Dobyns.

Good luck to ya,
CG
SethB

Post by SethB »

BPS Crankin Stick 7'MH
Take a kid fishing
Phil

Post by Phil »

DOBYNS.734, SAME ROD I USE FOR SPINNERBAITS
Ralph Harkins

Post by Ralph Harkins »

Dobyns 734 none other needed. Can be used for other stuff like blades, sammy's, and maybe a crank bait. Great rod.
www.tritonboats.com
www.reactioninnovations.com
www.galaxiemarine.com
www.dobynsrods.com
skandy

Post by skandy »

This may sound odd, but I've been using the G-Loomis spinnerbait rod a lot recently for my spooks. Solid back bone, soft tip to work the bait easily and able to pull big bass out from under docks and around wood.
Jason Milligan

Post by Jason Milligan »

The Powell 733 is the rod you're looking for.
Ron C

Post by Ron C »

Ditto on the Dobyns 734C. If I'm fishing around some real nasty stuff, I'll switch to a Dobyns 706CB (not the glass rod) with 50lb Power Pro. The balance on these rods is the best that you will find anywhere.
Mark Hiser

Post by Mark Hiser »

Gotta agree with ya Ron, I used both the 734C and the 706 CB today, they are most assuredly the way to go. Too bad the big fish didn't think so. But I really put the smack on some little spots, almost feel bad for em, ok not really :D

Mark Hiser
big bass beckstrom

Post by big bass beckstrom »

powell 734 great for blades, basstrix, senkos, carolina rigs, jigs, and awesome for topwater.
Elliott
www.basscat.com
www.mossdale-boats.com
www.blackdogbaits.com
www.fishdelta.com
StockOption

Post by StockOption »

G. Loomis CBR845 and CBR847
Kurt
Tobe

Post by Tobe »

Ron C wrote: The balance on these rods is the best that you will find anywhere.
You nailed it Ron.
Before anyone decides on a new rod, they should pick up a Dobyns and feel the difference.
bruizer343

Post by bruizer343 »

whatever you pick...make sure it's glass.
Micropterus salmoides

Post by Micropterus salmoides »

A lot of you suggested the Dobyns 733 or 734. I prefer 7 ft rods. Would the 703 or 704 work well as a Spook rod? Does the extra 3 inches of the 733 and 734 make it that much better?
fishinfool74

Post by fishinfool74 »

Well I must say thank you all for the input. I am looking at the dobyns 704c. But the big question is what is the difference between the Xtreme Champ and the Champ besides about 80 bucks. If Dobyns are the top thing going why is there 2 grades of rods.
Splash

Post by Splash »

The Extreme series has a higher modulus graphite and a higher grade cork. I use the Champion series for all my moving/reaction baits and the Extreme for all my finesse/feel type baits. I also use the 733C for spooks unless throwing the magnum spook, then I switch to the 734C. The 703/704C should perform the same, I just like the extra 3" for distance in casting and it will take up more line on the hook set, but to each their own! :D
Oh Well,maybe another day!!!

Andy Caldwell
lionkiller

Post by lionkiller »

If you twitch tip down, a longer rod's tip will be in the water, unless you're tall. Same with rippin', sometimes a shorter rod is whatcha need to get r done.
It's just a beating.....till you fight back.
Beach Steve Biechman

Post by Beach Steve Biechman »

My Frogger rod makes an excellant spook rod. Can make in any lenght from 6'6" to 7'6". $200.00
Beach
530-604-5277 cell
Beach Steve Biechman
Tobe

Post by Tobe »

lionkiller wrote:If you twitch tip down, a longer rod's tip will be in the water, unless you're tall. .
Actually, this is a Misconception.

If you take a guy 5'8'' and a guy 6'6" you will find that when their hands are held straight down to their side they are usually the same distance from the floor. :shock:

However, the 6'6" guy has definite advantage site fishing. :lol:
lionkiller

Post by lionkiller »

Tobe wrote:
lionkiller wrote:If you twitch tip down, a longer rod's tip will be in the water, unless you're tall. .

If you take a guy 5'8'' and a guy 6'6" you will find that when their hands are held straight down to their side they are usually the same distance from the floor. :shock:

Yeh. I was thinkin of my 6'6" Uncle.....
It's just a beating.....till you fight back.
Splash

Post by Splash »

Tobe wrote:

What Tobe fails to mention is if he isn't careful, when he fish's with the rod tip up the cork hits the water! :shock:
Oh Well,maybe another day!!!

Andy Caldwell
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

I'm no expert, plus, I suck at walking the dog, but I do really well with the BPS Rick Clunn series for topwater. It's only $ 65.
Nick_Barr

Post by Nick_Barr »

I like my Lamiglas Topwater Special XC 734 FOR any topwater situation in open water.
http://www.NickBarrFishing.com
President, Eastern Washington University Sportsman's Club
j-dogg

Post by j-dogg »

Dobyns 733 and 734 are the best I've used too. Used a friend's Powell last year in Norcal and it was pretty good but the Dobyns is an upgrade for sure...
dockboy

Post by dockboy »

I use a 7' MH glass from the Daiwa S Series rods. I get the Daiwa rods at a good price, so it does the job for me. If you don't want to spend a lot of money, the BPS Crankin' Stik in the same length and power will do the job. But if you have the money, a Dobyns is the way to go. If I had the money, I'd upgrade to one of his glass rods. Awesome stuff. I use 50lb. and glass, works fine for me. With the smaller baits, though, in open water, I usually go to a 6'6" M graphite with 12lb. mono. I was using a cheap glass/graphite rod a few years ago, until I lost a 5lber in a tourney, even with the drag pretty low. Switched over to glass and have had hardly any problems since.
Brian Ruthman

Post by Brian Ruthman »

The Dobyns 733 is by far the best rod to use for spooks, i have used many different brands of in the past . Trust me the 733 is the right rod there is nothing better . If you live in my area and want to try one out just send me a PM and i will set you up with one . :)
fishinfool74

Post by fishinfool74 »

I think I might just go with the Dobyns Champion 703c since the 733c will not fit in the locker. Does the extra 3 inches make a big difference? :) if so I will have to find a way to make it happen.
Thank you for all the input