Humminbird 987 v 997?

bozzo21

Humminbird 987 v 997?

Post by bozzo21 »

Does anybody know what the difference is between the 987 unit and the 997 unit? I have the 987 unit and a chance to upgrade to the 997 but it would cost me a little bit, but it would be a screaming deal.

My question is...... would it be worth it?

Thanks
brambo0311

Re: Humminbird 987 v 997?

Post by brambo0311 »

I am not familiar with the 987 but I had a 997 before it was stolen. I only used it about 5 times and didnt know all the features but it was awesome. I could motor around and look under docks all the way to the bank and see clearly if there were fish. Didnt work so good sitting still but I had not totally figured out how to use it.
Team Fugowee

Post by Team Fugowee »

If it's a 997c SI YES SI =side imaging

Can't find the 800 series to see what you have.
I don't know enough, to leave well enough alone.
bozzo21

Post by bozzo21 »

I have the 987 csi Mine is also side imaging and color and gps and all that good stuff. The 987 was made first about 2 years ago and then last year they upgraded it to the 997. So to me it looks the same but I am just curious if anyone knows what changes they made.

Post by Guest »

I would suggest posting that question to:

http://www.sideimageforums.com

There are a number of Humminbird Engineers on that forum that can get into great detail between the two models.
nipples

Post by nipples »

So a spin off question to those of you with these Humminbirds ( which I have been wanting since they first came out)...

How do they compare to Lowrance???

As far as I can tell, the humminbirds are clear winners and one of those "once you go bird, Lowrance is a turd" sorta things.

Anyone feel any different? Pros? Cons? Is the side imaging all that? Power drain??? Is 8000 watts peak da bomb digity? Can you see yourself dropshot and jig a spoon? How are they when the boat isn't moving? How much did the SI tranducer run (knowing the main unit runs about $2500 for the newer 1100 series, without transducer)

Any info greatly appreciated and might just help me part with the hard earned money a little easier.

Thanks,

-Paul-
Do it like no one is watching...
DOWDY

Post by DOWDY »

I have a 987SI on my console as well as a 797Si on the front and love both of them. I use the one up front more than the one in the back because I fish rocks our ledges and it is easier to control the boat. You do not need to be moving for it to work. The differance in the 987 and 997 is the screen the 87 has a grey border around it where the 997 is just screen. I still recommend running a lowrance with these units for bottom sonar clarification is better and GPS tracking better. I do prefer the maps better on the hummingbird. You can contact me if you have any ? about the unit I am very impressed with them, but they are still just a tool. My next boat will have the bigger graph up front and little one in the back with a lowrance unit in the back also. Just my 2 cents...

kfd562@yahoo.com
JimmyReese

Post by JimmyReese »

This is what I know! The 997 has a larger screen 8 inch vs. 7 inch
and the dual frequency has a new option to switch to 800 killehertz ( sp) instead of 455. The more I learn I will send you more information. I have not tried the 997 yet, next week I will get to check it out! Lake Amistad I will find every rock pile and bush out there! Cant wait!

Jimmy

Post by Guest »

Jimmy,

After the tournament is over I think we'd all appreciate it if you could post some of the pictures of interesting stuff you find on the forum. Just to give us an idea as to the real world clarity that you find.

Thanks.
JimmyReese

Post by JimmyReese »

Sounds good Vince,

I just learned another feature with the997.

We now have the ability to see 3d sattelite imaging from the 997....WOW!!!

This mapping comes from navionics its Called Platinum! You can see Konocti harbor and all the boat slips if you want. You can see who's on my water! :lol: :lol: Double wow!!!!

Jimmy
Triton Mike

Post by Triton Mike »

What Jimmy said is dead on. One thing about the higher frequency in the SI part I have't personally found a use for it yet. I just stick with the normal 455khz. One other advantage of the 997SI over the 987SI and it's a huge advantage in my opinion. You can see the screen MUCH MUCH easier with the 997SI as they enhanced the screen quality. With the 987SI if you had any sun on the unit it was a booger to read. The 987SI is presently discontinued and replaced with the 997SI.

Now my question to you is have you seen the new 1197SI!! OOOSHHH :) LOL. MOASI!! "Mother Of All Side Imagers" LOL It will have a 10.4 inch screen :)

Mike