Decent Priced Swimbait Rod and Reel

need_a_kicker

Decent Priced Swimbait Rod and Reel

Post by need_a_kicker »

Good Evening All,

I am looking to buy a Swimbait rod and reel at a decent price, I am new to Swimbait fishihg but would like to start. Any suggestions?

Thanks
BIG DADDY BLUE RANGER

Re: Decent Priced Swimbait Rod and Reel

Post by BIG DADDY BLUE RANGER »

Okuma 711H.....$99

ABU C3 6500 size, bout $70.... if you want to spend a little more I've been really happy with my Curado 301
DeltaDan

Post by DeltaDan »

For my Christmas preseant to myself (Saved the wife from having to shop for me :wink: :lol: ) -- I picked up from The Hook an Okuma 7'11"MH for $98 ish ..... and topped it with the Shimano Curado 300 for $249 --Spooled it with #20 Floro. -- The Hook Spooled it ~~ It was alot cheaper than buying a roll.

With the $50 Shimano Rebate (check came in less than three weeks) -- I walked out for about $325 ? (taxes included).

-- Ever seen a Mission Fish cast 90+ yards !! :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I still have not tried the Slow Sinking BBZ-1 that I got on the Hooks "Twelve Days Of Christmas"sale for $26.99 .... That bait went into my stocking placed quietly by myself on Christmas morning. :wink:

--- BTW there was aready a painted black rock already in my stocking !! :twisted:
You know, we always called each other goodfellas. Like, you'd say to somebody: "You're gonna like this guy; he's all right. He's a goodfella. He's one of us." You understand? We were goodfellas, wiseguys.

[b]Team LL [/b] (2006 ~ And Beyond !! )
bassindon69

Post by bassindon69 »

Okuma XH 7' 11" rod and Shimano Cardiff 400 reel. 200 bucks or less Can't beat it :wink:

Don.
Go Big or Go Home!
http://calfishing.com/gallery/v/members/bassindon69/basspics/
green_monster

Post by green_monster »

Ditto! I'll agree with Don, have two setups just like it. One in XH and one in Heavy.
"Work is for people who don't know how to fish!" unknown

http://www.folsombassteam.com
SethB

Post by SethB »

Okuma and Cardiff have been good to me. I like the 7'6" heavy.
Take a kid fishing
SethB

Post by SethB »

Okuma and Cardiff have been good to me. I like the 7'6" heavy.
Take a kid fishing
Steve Reed

Post by Steve Reed »

check out the fig rig rod by matt newman....its $100 and ill probably put a quantum cabo on it.....$260 or so
Monsterfishingtackle.com
need_a_kicker

Post by need_a_kicker »

Thank you all, I will go look at one tonight!!

Kicker
Nozmo King

Post by Nozmo King »

Don & Monster, can you throw the Hudd ROF 12 with the Okuma & Cardiff? I bought a combo last year that I thought would work but it wasn't stout enough.
green_monster

Post by green_monster »

I have no problems throwing 12 or 16 hudds on the XH. If you want less tip the XH 7' 6" has less tip than the XH 7' 11". Otherwise I've heard the Fig Rig rod Matt designed is a really stout rod. Never used one yet, but hope to check them out soon.

Phil

Post by Phil »

38-153-796-00
Read Item Notice
1 below
20-40 LB
3/4-6 OZ
7'10" XH
1-PIECE
9 GUIDES
NI710XHT
X-FAST
FL, SW
$149.99
NEW

38-153-794-00
Read Item Notice
1 below
12-30 LB
1/2-4 OZ
7'10" H
1-PIECE
9 GUIDES
NI70HT
FAST
FL,SW
$ 149.99

ON SALE THRU JIGS FOR $ 90.00 PLUS FREIGHT
Kentuck

Post by Kentuck »

Agree witht the Okuma rod, also keep in mind that Okuma makes a series 400 reel for about $120. Looks like a good reel. Haven't tried it myself. Yet.
bassindon69

Post by bassindon69 »

Hey Nozmo. YES, Get the XH 7' 11" or 7' 6" H or XH for hudds and that size baits. I use smaller lures on these also, No Problems. The Cardiff can be adjusted like most reels to get the best casting for you. I Use these Rods (Okuma Only) and Cardiff and Calcutta Reels. "They work" They are what I use. As far as top of the line well..... I don't know about that because I just use these rods and reels and they are the best for me and my pocket. They are all I can speak for. :D

Best of luck!

Don.
Go Big or Go Home!
Nozmo King

Post by Nozmo King »

Right on! Thanks. I think I'm going to give the Okuma & Cardiff a try.
froteur

Post by froteur »

Nozmo King wrote:Don & Monster, can you throw the Hudd ROF 12 with the Okuma & Cardiff? I bought a combo last year that I thought would work but it wasn't stout enough.
my son caught a 9 lb 11.2 oz and a 7 lb 14 oz last year on a hudd using an xh okuma and a cardiff 401. our other buddies caught a 7+ and 8+ with the same set-up. seems to work just fine. :D
froteur

Post by froteur »

green_monster wrote:I have no problems throwing 12 or 16 hudds on the XH. If you want less tip the XH 7' 6" has less tip than the XH 7' 11". Otherwise I've heard the Fig Rig rod Matt designed is a really stout rod. Never used one yet, but hope to check them out soon.
just picked up a fig rig but haven't had a chance to throw anything on it yet. we also have a couple of okumas so i'm anxious to see the differences. just shaking it around, it seems like the fig rig heavy is stouter than the okuma xh. we'll see (soon, i hope) :D :D
green_monster

Post by green_monster »

Let us know what you think of the Fig Rig. I've been looking for a stouter SB rod for sitting the jig hook hard.

froteur

Post by froteur »

green_monster wrote:Let us know what you think of the Fig Rig. I've been looking for a stouter SB rod for sitting the jig hook hard.
will do. actually, i got two of them so, hopefully, at least one of us, my son or i, will catch a fish on one. :D :D :D jig hook?! what size jig are you throwing, man?!
Steve Reed

Post by Steve Reed »

i think he means the jog hooks from the swimbaits...huddleston top hook

i agree on that, as i usually set the hook twice on the swimbait
Monsterfishingtackle.com
froteur

Post by froteur »

Steve Reed wrote:i think he means the jog hooks from the swimbaits...huddleston top hook

i agree on that, as i usually set the hook twice on the swimbait
ahhhhhh .... that makes sense. thanks. :D
green_monster

Post by green_monster »

Yeah....the top jig hook on the ROF12 and 16, as well as big bottom walkers and LA Sliders.

need_a_kicker

Post by need_a_kicker »

Good Evening

I just went by FW to look at an Okuma swimbaid rod and was told that the Shimano swimbait rod was better and had a life time warranty for another 50 bucks. Is the Shimano rod good or does anyone have any opinions about it?

Thanks Kicker
SethB

Post by SethB »

Okuma has a lifetime warrenty.
Take a kid fishing
DeltaDan

Post by DeltaDan »

The Shimano Rods have a $15 no questions asked replacement over the counter warrenty.

The Okuma's have a great warrenty program as well -- Free replacements I understand ..... But I do not know if you have to pay shipping to send them in - if they are over the counter.

Dobby has a $50 over the counter replacement warrenty at most all retailers -- or you can send it in for shipping cost and see if they replace for free or up to $50.

That is how I understand it between these three - But I do know that shimmano has a $15 over the counter/no questions asked replacement polocy.
You know, we always called each other goodfellas. Like, you'd say to somebody: "You're gonna like this guy; he's all right. He's a goodfella. He's one of us." You understand? We were goodfellas, wiseguys.

[b]Team LL [/b] (2006 ~ And Beyond !! )
need_a_kicker

Post by need_a_kicker »

I was told that Okuma only has a one year warranty

Kicker
froteur

Post by froteur »

need_a_kicker wrote:I was told that Okuma only has a one year warranty

Kicker
lifetime
BMX Bassin

Post by BMX Bassin »

A GOOD CHEAP set up is the Abu Revo s = $99.95 and either a Team Diawa Tierra 7'6" MH for $69.95 or the shimano Clarus same size and price, Lifetime warranty. Total is under $200 and catches big fish. Cant beat that.
BMX Mike
bantam1

Post by bantam1 »

DeltaDan wrote:The Shimano Rods have a $15 no questions asked replacement over the counter warrenty.
This is something that the dealer is charging you. We do not charge for this warranty. I can only guess that the dealer might be charging you for the shipping cost to return the rod to us.

The dealer also will be reimbursed for shipping so I have no idea why they would charge you a $15 fee. You can have the dealer contact us with questions about this.
Mark Rogers

Post by Mark Rogers »

Hmm... After he contacts Dan over at Shimano... you can have him contact me. Okuma Guide Select Swimbait Rods have a lifetime warranty.

Mark Rogers
Okuma Fishing Tackle
need_a_kicker

Post by need_a_kicker »

This is Great to know, Thanks for all of your help!!

Kicker
biteme

Post by biteme »

Not only does the Okuma rods have a great feel you cant beat the warranty!
cbwiii

Post by cbwiii »

I have a Shimano Caly CXY 200, I think I got in a drawing. Would this work OK for a while; like until I figure out if I can catch fish on these big swim baits? It seems to hold enough 20lb mono. (I did buy an Okuma swimbait rod) :?:
bassindon69

Post by bassindon69 »

If you have a rod and reel that you think will work go ahead and try it LOL!!
It is much better to get a rod and reel that is made to cast what you want to cast and made to catch what you want to catch. Some cost less and some cost more but if they are made to do the same job then it just depends on what you want to spend. At this point in the game there are enough out there that work and were made just for swimbaits. Go with what is proven, that's always a good bet. :wink:

What's in your wallet? LOL!!

Don.
Go Big or Go Home!
cbwiii

Post by cbwiii »

Sure it's better to buy the 300 Shimano curado swimbait reel. I would if either I had plenty of money or I knew I was going to be able hook some fish on a big swimbait. I'm just wondering if anyone can identify drawbacks to the reel I identified above; it's a bit slow; what will that cause?

cbw
mac (Doyle McEwen)

Post by mac (Doyle McEwen) »

Gentlemen, let me settle this dispute for all of you..The worlds record was not caught on an Okuma, nor was it a Shimano,a Loomis..You can bet your next paycheck it was not a Powell or a Dobyns..Each of these rod manufacturers have fantastc rods to sell you, and everyone one of them is an excellent rod..You have to select the rod that best fits your situation, be it money or anything else..I personally know for a fact that todays RODS are far superior to the ones I started with (brand name having nothing to do with the final product)..What each one of us has to do is try as many of the various products as we can and choose those we like the best..COST has nothing to do with the end result other than how much money is going back to the producer..If you can get the results you want with a cheaper (less expensive) rod then by all means do it..There was once a time when the cost of an item was relevant to the real value of the item..Today I am not so sure..

mac
Take a kid fishing, and don't forget about us older kids either..
mac (Doyle McEwen)

Post by mac (Doyle McEwen) »

Now that I have covered the rod portion of the question, I should also cover the REEL end..The first thing is to recognize the weight of the lure ypou decide to throw in order to catch the size of BASS yopu want to catch..Once again the world record was set with a reel none of us today would even consider using, except for maybe catfishing..You have to (and this is an absolute) have a reel capable of tossing and retrieving the weight of your chosen lure..(Why would you want to cast a four ounce bait or more and then try to work it with a reel designed to handle at the most two ounce baits)..In other words gentlemen you have to have the gear to handle the job..Every one wants to know "the best", there is no "the best" at least not that I have found..There are good and in some cases maybe even better..But each one is subject to the final test=======YOU..

mac
Take a kid fishing, and don't forget about us older kids either..
bassindon69

Post by bassindon69 »

Sorry Mac. There is a "Best" for the buck just like I said. :lol:
Go Big or Go Home!