ABA and other Tournaments, boat insurance question

Fishin' Dave

ABA and other Tournaments, boat insurance question

Post by Fishin' Dave »

What are the minimums you have to carry on your boat to be properly insured to fish an ABA tournament? Is there a standard level for all tournaments? Wasn't it like 100/300/100 or something??
Last edited by Fishin' Dave on Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don't be lame. It's just fishing; you are not the new mesiah you know! Check your attitude at the door Mr. Spinners on da boat trailer.
Brian

Re: ABA guys, boat insurance question

Post by Brian »

This is all I could find for you Dave.

5) SAFETY - All boats must meet Coast Guard regulations. Boat owners must carry proper liability insurance. Safe boating shall be observed at all times. During competition, each contestant is required to wear a Coast Guard approved life jacket anytime the combustion engine is in operation. Anyone found operating a boat in an unsafe manner in the opinion of the Tournament Director may be disqualified. All boats must be equipped with an emergency ignition shut-off device which must be securely attached to the drivers body whenever the combustion engine is in operation. Any non-lanyard shut-off systems must be approved by the tournament director. All boats 16 ft. must have a float cushion on board. Each contestant is responsible to have proper safety equipment to meet state and local regulations. It is not the responsibility of American Bass or any tournament sponsor to provide assistance in on-the-water repairs or rescues at any time. Each contestant shall provide their own on-the-water assistance if needed. American Bass and its sponsors are not responsible to assure that any contestant has returned at the end of any contest. For safety, each contestant should inform another contestant as to the location(s) that they will be fishing and have that contestant check to assure that the other contestant has returned safely at the end of the contest and have a plan for assistance if needed.
[color=#0040FF]"Life's tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid."

-John Wayne[/color]
Fishin' Dave

Post by Fishin' Dave »

yep, I know I have to have it, just how much coverage is "proper"? :shock:
Don't be lame. It's just fishing; you are not the new mesiah you know! Check your attitude at the door Mr. Spinners on da boat trailer.
Hipster

Post by Hipster »

Dave,

You went back to fishing and bought a boat? KEWL 8)
Four Decades of Red!!!!!!!!

When in Doubt Set the Hook!!!

Mark
Hipster

Re: ABA and other Tournaments, boat insurance question

Post by Hipster »

Dave,

From the CA Fed website
DURING THE OFFICIAL PRACTICE AND COMPETITION DAYS OF ANYCBF TOURNAMENT EACH CONTESTANT MUST CARRY DOCUMENTED PROOF OF A MINIMUM OF $100,000 BOATING LIABILITY INSURANCE AND PRESENT IT TO ACBF TOURNAMENT OFFICIAL IF ASKED
Four Decades of Red!!!!!!!!

When in Doubt Set the Hook!!!

Mark
Fishin' Dave

Post by Fishin' Dave »

IT TO ACBF TOURNAMENT OFFICIAL IF ASKED
When was the last time a TD asked? :shock: Not for me getting around the rule (I insure everything including this post), but I wonder who's running with out insurance??
MIKE TREMONT

Post by MIKE TREMONT »

I don't know to answer your question Dave.

Why I'm even butting in here is that I had a question about ABA's mandatory $10 insurance fee and it's coverage.

The way it was explained to me is that fee is to cover the ABA, not the boaters. Now if I'm off here someone from the ABA please jump in and set me straight. This is not meant as a criticism.

Had I not asked I would of assumed it was some type of supplemental coverage for me.

The reason I post this is for anyone that may make the assumption I did. It wouldn't be a nice feeling finding out the hard way you got no help coming.
I had to come back...I know...
Dewayne

Re: It's not worth running without

Post by Dewayne »

All it would take is hitting one submerged log or a wave wrong and your days of fishing and owning a home could be over.

While it depends on what you are fishing I would carry $300k as a minimum.
Last edited by Dewayne on Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dewayne
1socalbass

Post by 1socalbass »

Dave,
$300,000 single limit liability, is the minimum insurance to carry.

Jason Sutherland - ABA Office
American Bass #1 Team Tournament Organization in the West www.americanbass.com, www.americanbass.mobi, Facebook.com/AmericanBass
Sponsors: RangerBoats,Mercury,Daiwa,Optimum Baits,Deps,IMA,Reins,AnglersMarine,Navionics,Lowrance,Ron Speed Jr Adventures
Fishin' Dave

Post by Fishin' Dave »

What about checking?? Do you TDs check for insurance?
cbwiii

Post by cbwiii »

Dave!!!! I wouldn't worry much about the TD. He can only DQ you. If you represent on a tournament application that you have read the rules (look) and the rules require you to have a certain level of insurance, and you do not have that insurance, a bad wave, a log, a drunk wake-boarder you avoid, (but not the next boat), you can get sued for fraud!!!

Everyone makes mistakes. If you get in an accident there will be some smart people, who make lots of money finding fault with other peoples' action scrutinizing everything you did since you caught your first bluegill!!!

And they will all be after you!! and since you lied on your application, you look the worst!!! And if you have little or no insurance, no one is going to help you!!!

In the grand scheme of things $300K of boat insurance is cheap!!!
So is an umbrella policy for another $700K.

Look at it two ways: Get insurance so that: 1. If you make a mistake and put a dad with two small kids (like me) out of work, the kids are taken care of. 2. Whether it's your mistake or someone else's, defending and settling the case are not going to cause you financial hard-ship.

As much as I hate giving insurance companies my hard earned money, it is the responsible thing to do!!!